Bicycle Factory Project

GRDadof3

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little off topic--just curious if anyone has a little history on the Grand Rapids Cycle Co? A google search turns up next to nothing relevant. I'm a bike mechanic & nut, and love anything 'old-timey'. How cool would it be to own a bike that came out of that factory?

A little off topic--just curious if anyone has a little history on the Grand Rapids Cycle Co? A google search turns up next to nothing relevant. I'm a bike mechanic & nut, and love anything 'old-timey'. How cool would it be to own a bike that came out of that factory?

• 2 weeks later...
My mason called me to ask if I could call in a favor for him... He wanted to find out if he could haul away any remaining bricks. I called Jeff at McGraw and he said it was not a problem at all. He laughed and said just stay out of the way of the semi trucks and foreman on site actively removing the remaining debris. I called back the mason and he was so excited...to have a green light to take a few pallets of twice baked bricks...1st being the The Great Chicago Fire (Chicago Common I believe they call it). It seems as if the brick would be fatigued by the hot fire and rapid temperature changes it encountered during the HUGE blaze this past winter. Any thoughts on whether or not the brick could be safely reinvested as replacement bricks on other job sites?

• 2 weeks later...

The Bicycle Factory project goes back before the City Commission next week setting a hearing for a revised Brownfield Plan Amendment.

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/meeting.pl?m...amp;type=agenda

(Item #2 Committee of the Whole)

I also found this alternative rendering of the new building. Which one is the most current? Hopefully someone from the development team can weigh in.

1926004361_948aee0f7f_o.jpg

And like the eagle from the ashes. Wow, nice looking project!

1559585572_d9975c26d2_o.jpg

Big change in the plans though. The first 3 floors of the 5 story building will be office/commercial, with only the top 2 floors as apartments. The apartments will consist of 12 - 2story townhome style units renting for $850/month (yes, only $850).

GRPress Article

This one is the final plan they are going with:

1559585572_d9975c26d2_o.jpg

According to the agenda, they are going to build the project in two phases: the first 3 floors of commercial as phase I, and the top 2 floors of 12 residential units as phase II (no timeline given)

Archived