Explore! Rhode Island

Brooks Brothers

In related news, new food options are slated to open in 2-3 weeks:

Johnny Rocket's

Quiznos

Starbucks (2nd airport location)

Famous Famiglia

Providence Oyster Bar

they must have high hopes or some good forecasting, because they are averaging between 8-10% decrease each month.

Thats the case with nearly every airport at the moment. but PVD has been lacking in concession choices for years now, so it will still do alright. If oild stabilizes at or bellow $100 then i think within a year or two we will see alot of those seats return, and maybe even a new airline or two.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just saw this on the airport's website:

"TF Green Enhances Travel

20 October 2008

Passengers traveling in and out of T.F. Green can now enjoy a variety of new dining and shopping options as they navigate through the airport. In addition, new signage and flight display monitors help ease travel at PVD.

New restaurants include the Providence Oyster Bar, which showcases a raw bar and a variety of fresh seafood from crispy calamari to a fresh New England lobster roll and a full bar. Wolfgang Puck Express serves up soups, salads, gourmet sandwiches and more. The new food court, located in the center of the terminal, offers travelers the choice of pizza from Famous Famiglia, hot subs at Quiznos, burgers and a shake at Johnny Rockets or a coffee at Starbucks Caf

• 3 months later...

Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian, an expansion critic, yesterday cautioned the legislature from interfering with the established review process.

Because it's none of their business, right? It isn't the job of the state legislature to be concerned with what goes on in the state where they make law, right? Just like it isn't the business of the other 1 million plus people in Rhode Island to tell 100 or so homeowners (who happen to reside next to an airport, where they chose to buy property) what should happen in a small Warwick neighborhood (which happens to house one of the most important economic engines in the state)?

The good of the many outweighs the good of the really, really few. Git 'er fudgeing done already.

Give me a bulldozer and carte blanche and I could do some really productive things in Warwick ...

Because it's none of their business, right? It isn't the job of the state legislature to be concerned with what goes on in the state where they make law, right? Just like it isn't the business of the other 1 million plus people in Rhode Island to tell 100 or so homeowners (who happen to reside next to an airport, where they chose to buy property) what should happen in a small Warwick neighborhood (which happens to house one of the most important economic engines in the state)?

The good of the many outweighs the good of the really, really few. Git 'er fudgeing done already.

Give me a bulldozer and carte blanche and I could do some really productive things in Warwick ...

Nevermind the fact that it's a STATE airport.

Emails or letters should be addressed to Senator Paiva-Weed encouraging her to lead the legislative process in the Senate for the runway extension and ask for her support on the issue. Federal funds won

Low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines Co. said it plans to begin flying out of Logan International Airport by the fall, a long-awaited move that could drive down airfares for Boston passengers.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20..._logan_by_fall/

That's bad news for Providence and in my opinion, bad news for the train station as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The FAA is expected to issue a recommendation soon on a proposal to extend the runway at T.F. Green Airport.

The $150-million plan would reroute Main Avenue, a busy city thoroughfare, but would force the taking of only about 50 houses, far fewer than previous proposals.

http://www.projo.com/business/content/BZ_C...12.30ab3b0.html

So I assume when the homes are taken the owners will be compensated based on current housing values. Too bad they didn't get their houses taken a year ago. :whistling:

It is too bad but they were the ones that chose to live near an airport and chose to fight the expansion for the past several years. Beware the old adage "You reap what you sow"

Southwest Airlines Co., the discount carrier that made free peanuts a symbol of no-frills flying and is the largest carrier at T.F. Green airport in Warwick, may start selling food to boost revenue.

http://www.projo.com/business/content/bz_s...v7.3a1bbd5.html

Thank you, Bloomberg - original source of article - for showing everybody how useless the MSM is, especially the mainstream financial media. Here's what the Einsteins do not mention re: Southwest.

They have been and will continue to be counter-trend to the industry because they started hedging their fuel back in 2005. They made a killing when oil was high then went higher and higher. It caught most of the airlines flatfooted (major industry caught out by a turn of events?), but SW had already purchased substantial futures at relatively low prices. They bought and sold futures all the way up, so they were swimming in cash when all the others were cash poor.

Now that oil has fallen so far, the shoe's on the other foot. Even Delta has been able to turn a profit, but SW has felt the pinch. They are obligated to buy oil at certain prices or sell the futures at a big loss. They have extra financial weight to carry through this period of falling traffic, so they may continue to cut capacity and implement charges where others are dropping charges as they get a little fat.

Upshot for RI: Until they can work through their hedged positions or until oil gets up to some higher level ($50? $60?) SW will be tight about everything. Dare I even say the words: fare increases?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived