T.F. Green Airport Developments

Frankie811

Warwick disputes FAA study on longer runway. The city is again blasting the Federal Aviation Administration over its plans to expand the main runway at T.F. Green Airport, saying the agency used flawed methodology in calculating how long a runway is needed to fly planes nonstop to the West coast.

i don't even need to read the article to know what they have to say... your little blurb says it all (good work frankie!). i find it funny that people who know nothing about aviation (avedesian) is blasting the experts (FAA) on this.

oh and in regards to the sign... yes, very laughable. i doubt it'll last. maybe warwick will get a new mayor who will realize where warwick's place is.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't even need to read the article to know what they have to say... your little blurb says it all (good work frankie!). i find it funny that people who know nothing about aviation (avedesian) is blasting the experts (FAA) on this.

oh and in regards to the sign... yes, very laughable. i doubt it'll last. maybe warwick will get a new mayor who will realize where warwick's place is.

I dont know about this one. I read the article and the Mayor has a good point. One that would appeal to a lot of us on here. His point is that the baseline plane model the FAA is using to justify the longer runway is outdated, because planes and their efficiency are improving quickly. This was confirmed by Southwest (50% of Green's traffic) that they dont use the plane the FAA used as a baseline anymore, having switched to a newer model.

So basically the runway might not have to be expanded as much as thought because the model used is an outdated one.

FYI: the sign states:

"Welcome to TF Green Airport, Warwick Rhode Island"

There is only 1 sign just below the ceiling at the terminus of the new passenger arrival ramps.

I believe it is in the states best interest for the airport expansion; The future of the airport affects the entire state....

I really didn't like that article - if anything we've been making up a little lost ground. We're not as down for the year as we have been. We definitely could improve though, and I'm optimistic for 2008.

something the article also doesn't do is compare it to similar airports throughout the country and to all airports. is it possible that air travel is just down overall?

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off-topic!

It would be so cool if PVD could have this! http://flyclear.com/index.html Seriously, if Green got this before Logan it could attract some more business travelers who live equally far from Logan and Green.

that's pretty neat and would be pretty cool to have, even though i have a feeling most business travelers that live equidistant from BOS and PVD fly out of PVD whenever they can because it's a whole lot easier to get in and out of.

that's pretty neat and would be pretty cool to have, even though i have a feeling most business travelers that live equidistant from BOS and PVD fly out of PVD whenever they can because it's a whole lot easier to get in and out of.

Don't be so sure - BOS often wins because of more direct flights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was really bored tonight...I think it looks better than the one on the airport website. :P

i assume those are the airports serviced direct by PVD. that's pretty cool. one thing i find odd is that the planes can get to phoenix and vegas, but not a few hundred miles farther san diego or LA. even based on the distance that vegas is, you'd think perhaps seattle or portland would be possible.

i also think it's funny that the only place to get a plane to block island is westerly. and i think you forgot the azores.

one thing i find odd is that the planes can get to phoenix and vegas, but not a few hundred miles farther san diego or LA. even based on the distance that vegas is, you'd think perhaps seattle or portland would be possible.

I think the reason for this is the 7,100 ft runway at TF Greeen. The jets that service the airport ( 737/757 ) can not take off fully loaded ( fueled ) for trips to the West coast unless the main runway ( 5/27 ) is extended to 9,000+. The debate continues on this of course, probably for years to come. It should be noted that 747's ( including Air Force 1 ) and the super sonic plane have landed here. Does anyone remember the day at green when a charter SST jet from England (?) landed here for a golf tornament in MA because Massport would not allow it to land in Boston for who knows whatever reason. They closed down Airport Rd and had a love fest. Warwick suddenly became an international destination. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived