T.F. Green Airport Developments

Frankie811

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez I hate that. An employer should be willing to allow an employee to accumulate at least two weeks of vacation time to use at any time that he/she wants.

Some carry over, but I have way to much. I need a vacation!

Flew back to RI last week and noticed that the baggage claim area has been expanded and seemed to be faster than I had noticed before. Also construction still on going thru out the terminal. A second dunkin doughnuts for the south concourse is needed.

No visible progress on the new train station or people mover.

they were demolishing a building over on Jefferson for the parking garage/station last week and I saw some construction equipment in front of the terminal lately as well.

I have been told that there will be 2 Starbucks and a second Dunkin in the terminal when they build out all the new food concession spaces this summer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loss of a big name, but not alot of seats per day, but AA is leaving PVD in September

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pressRel..._capacity.jhtml

Their fall schedule onyl had twice daily service on 44-seat regional jets. Chicago service is still available on United or Southwest which offer 8-9 daily flight combined, both on larger aircraft than offered by American

So I went to Canada for a while. I chose the convenience of PVD. Next time I fly to Canada will be out of Boston. Convenience does not include having your bag have to take the next flight because the dinky 18 seat plane can't handle the weight of more than 2 checked bags and a fully booked flight. Now I'm stuck with practically no clothes until Air Canada delivers my bag to me sometime tomorrow because I was on the last flight (and god only knows if they'll have enough space for it tomorrow).

So I went to Canada for a while. I chose the convenience of PVD. Next time I fly to Canada will be out of Boston. Convenience does not include having your bag have to take the next flight because the dinky 18 seat plane can't handle the weight of more than 2 checked bags and a fully booked flight. Now I'm stuck with practically no clothes until Air Canada delivers my bag to me sometime tomorrow because I was on the last flight (and god only knows if they'll have enough space for it tomorrow).

You don't think that luggage are lost or not put on flights because they go in or out of Logan? No Clothes? I thought this was your home where you kept your "stuff"? Your only suppose to take some of your "stuff" on a trip. RIP George!

You don't think that luggage are lost or not put on flights because they go in or out of Logan? No Clothes? I thought this was your home where you kept your "stuff"? Your only suppose to take some of your "stuff" on a trip. RIP George!

i'm sure luggage is lost or not put on flights out of logan. however, i think i would have had a better chance of having my bag make it on my flight if the plane was bigger than a tylenol. i have some clothes here, but in all actuality, i don't have that many clothes. i have spares that don't fit very well, have stains, or are really beat up. the clothes i wear for work, including the one pair of shoes i wear to work, are in that bag, along with all my toiletries (i only have 1 toothbrush, 1 razor, 1 thing of contact solution, etc).

actually, the thing that bothered me most is i watched them bring the suitcases elsewhere and no one was going to tell us anything until we found out that our bags weren't on the plane after we landed. we had to ask the pilot what was going on. that's poor customer service. i'm actually worried that the plane tomorrow morning might be too full and more luggage will get bumped. you would think they'd arrange to have it sent via another city or something so it can get here right away.

Sorry to hear about the luggage but if they are regularly having full flights maybe they will start to bring in a larger plane. I don't like to fly Air Ontario becauce that plane is very small. But it still is much more conveinent flying out of Providence than Boston. Last winter I flew to Toronto from Boston and spent an hour driving around Logan looking for somewhere to park. Finally I had to use there vallet parking or what they use for parking when all garages are full. There was no extra charge for the service but when I flew back I had to walk around and around to find my car. Have a Molson and relax. The weekend is almost here.

Good luck.

News and Updates:

The first of 2 Starbucks and a new news/sundries stand on the arrivals/baggage claim level opens on Monday. they are located between the sailboat and the new area where arriving passengers come down from the gates.

Many other new food and retail options will be opening over the next few months.

AA is leaving in November, but Southwest is adding a second nonstop flight to Fort Lauderdale and sixth nonstop to Orlando the day after American Eagle leaves.

News and Updates:

The first of 2 Starbucks and a new news/sundries stand on the arrivals/baggage claim level opens on Monday. they are located between the sailboat and the new area where arriving passengers come down from the gates.

Many other new food and retail options will be opening over the next few months.

AA is leaving in November, but Southwest is adding a second nonstop flight to Fort Lauderdale and sixth nonstop to Orlando the day after American Eagle leaves.

Of course Starbucks has to open just two days after I use PVD. But I was quite happy to see a Johnny Rockets logo! I didn't look closely enough though - is the CNBC store still planned? I saw one of those in FLL yesterday and really liked it.

When I arrived yesterday I used the ramps down to the baggage claim for the first time - I think they're a great addition and they certainly help traffic flow.

Also saw some extra cones/lights/thingys around 5/23 - does this mean the new taxiway will start soon?

From the CapeX newsletter

Hello Friends,

We have now completed 3 months of the Cape and Providence Express Bus Service, CapeX, and find that it is time for us to make hard decisions about the future of this service. The ridership has been about what we had anticipated and has come from a variety of markets. We have had Cape Cod business and social travelers as well as visitors coming to Cape Cod. We have transferred many players for the Cape Cod Baseball League and some servicemen returning home. Our travelers have been fairly equal between Amtrak and T F Green Airport. Overall, the need for this direct service has been proven by the hundreds of travelers we have moved over the past three months.

We began this adventure in May of 2006 with the dream and belief that this service was vital to Cape Cod. We went to every state representative who would listen to us as well as the State Executive Office of Transportation and the Cape Cod Commission in the hope that we could receive some financial assistance to get this project off the ground. We felt that since the other major established bus routes from Cape Cod receive state assistance then this route should also qualify. In October 2007, after hitting every dead end, we made the decision to try CapeX on our own.

After two years of planning we thought we had looked at every possible angle that could affect the success of this project. We were wrong. The one item we had never considered was the increase in fuel costs. In October the average cost for a gallon of gasoline was $2.85 and diesel was $3.10. Now its exciting if you can find gas below $4.15 and diesel is close to $5.00 per gallon!

As you can imagine, as an industry that is reliant upon fuel these prices are hitting us very hard. We knew that it would take time to build CapeX ridership and had expected to operate at a loss for the first few months. But the increase in fuel costs and no relief in site has forced us to make the decision that we can no longer operate CapeX.

Please believe that this decision has been a difficult one and we are heartbroken that we have to take these steps. CapeX is something that we believe in and we have no doubts that this service is vital to Cape Codders and our visitors. But we have to be practical about our responsibility to the 25 employees that work for Cape Destinations. We can no longer absorb the daily losses of operating CapeX. Therefore, our last day of service will be July 13, 2008.

Let your views be heard!

Although we can no longer independently support CapeX service, we strongly believe that direct service between Cape Cod and Providence is needed. If you also believe this is vital to Cape Cod contact your local representatives and encourage them to support this service. If you have taken CapeX, share your story!

Senator Robert O'Leary

Senator Therese Murray

Representative Demetrius Atsalis

Representative Mathew Patrick

Representative Jeffrey Perry

Representative Cleon Turner

Representative Sarah Peake

Representative Eric Turkington

In closing, we would like to thank everyone who has supported CapeX. We would especially like to thank our drivers who were willing to take this CapeX ride with us. We still believe that this service could succeed and hope that some day it will become a part of Cape Cod. We are saddened that factors beyond our control have forced us to make this decision.

United just updated their schedules today to show more seats (bigger planes) on it's Chicago service starting in September. Continental and US Airways are both adding seats to Newark and LaGuardia respectively. In fact, for any NYC travleers, the ride will be better now that they will both use more comfortable aircraft on their NYC routes from PVD.

Times are tough for sure though.

United just updated their schedules today to show more seats (bigger planes) on it's Chicago service starting in September. Continental and US Airways are both adding seats to Newark and LaGuardia respectively. In fact, for any NYC travleers, the ride will be better now that they will both use more comfortable aircraft on their NYC routes from PVD.

Times are tough for sure though.

I just checked OAG and noticed we'll be getting old Tedplanes. I wonder how long they'll be in the old Ted livery.

T.F. Green prepares for turbulence

American Airlines' announcement late last month that it is pulling its regional affiliate American Eagle out of T.F. Green Airport might be only the start of the bad news.

Southwest also added additional flights to FLL and (NOT ORL) but MDO recentely.

American was one of the original airlines to sign on following the Green expansion and are obligated to pay for their gates until another airline steps up and purchases the gate lease agreement. So in the long run it will hurt travellers some but will not hurt the Airport Corporation.

In closing, we would like to thank everyone who has supported CapeX. We would especially like to thank our drivers who were willing to take this CapeX ride with us. We still believe that this service could succeed and hope that some day it will become a part of Cape Cod. We are saddened that factors beyond our control have forced us to make this decision.

The rising prices of gasoline, oil and diesel fuel have claimed another victim: a start-up bus service between Cape Cod and Rhode Island.

Here a couple of runway expansion articles from the Warwick Beacon:

"Editorial: Common sense from Dillon"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...4&Itemid=33

"RIAC backs less intrusive runway"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...2&Itemid=30

"City, FAA want to see more on runway plan"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...6&Itemid=30

"Down to brass tacks on longer runway?"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...1&Itemid=30

"US Airways kicks skycaps to 'curbside'"

http://warwickonline.com/warwickonline/ind...2&Itemid=30

Archived