T.F. Green Airport Developments

Frankie811

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I've said this somewhere before, but I can't find it now. Anyway, am I the only one who feels, whenever Avedisian talks about the airport, that the proverbial shoe would be on the other foot if the city of Warwick owned Green, as the city of Manchester owns its airport?

Avedisian said he would have appreciated it if representatives of the Chamber had at least met with the city to hear its concerns, which besides health and safety include the still-unanswered question of who is going to pay to relocate community recreation fields that will be displaced.

Don't worry Scotty, I'm pretty sure we've all heard your side of the case once, twice, or umpteen times before. :thumbsup:

Keep kicking that horse, Mayor.

Avedisian also contended that the airport is not necessarily synonymous with a boon to business. He estimated that if the city was compensated for at least half the taxes the airport would pay if it were a private entity, the commercial tax rate in the city would drop by about 50 cents per $1,000 of assessed value.

I would love to see numbers concerning how much the airport contributes to the city's economy. Avedisian has been crying hardship a lot lately. I'm not buying it.

Looking back through this thread, I saw a report from 2007 stating that Green contributes $2B annually to the local economy. That figure would surely be substantially lower in 2009, but still we're talking about a huge economic generator here, and how much of that economic impact centers directly on Warwick, the modern gateway to Rhode Island?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh this is but another nail in Rhode Islands economic coffin. I read up on the differant preposals and I cant believe that there is an option for "no change". This is what I mean about the mantality of this state.

I challange someone to see if passenger traffic is down at Bradley or Logan... I am willing to bet that if there is a decline its not half as much as the decline at Greene.

We as a state just fail to be competative.

Oh this is but another nail in Rhode Islands economic coffin. I read up on the differant preposals and I cant believe that there is an option for "no change". This is what I mean about the mantality of this state.

I challange someone to see if passenger traffic is down at Bradley or Logan... I am willing to bet that if there is a decline its not half as much as the decline at Greene.

We as a state just fail to be competative.

#1) the "No action" alternative is required by the FAA in any environmental assesment (EA) or environmental impact statement (EIS)

#2) the traffic at BDL (Hartford) MHT (Manchester) and BOS has declined at a sharper rate than PVD... MHT and BDL's declines are almost twice as bad as PVD is.

#1) the "No action" alternative is required by the FAA in any environmental assesment (EA) or environmental impact statement (EIS)

#2) the traffic at BDL (Hartford) MHT (Manchester) and BOS has declined at a sharper rate than PVD... MHT and BDL's declines are almost twice as bad as PVD is.

Now this is just too much. How can we have ill-informed opinions if you keep annoying us with facts?

• 1 month later...

T.F. Green traffic down 8.4% in

In its monthly traffic report, the agency said 392,750 passengers passed through T.F. Green in May, down 8.5 percent from the same month last year, when the airport saw 429,003 passengers.

http://www.pbn.com/detail/43020.html

Did you read/hear the latest? Southwest is starting service in Boston. How long do you think it will be before they start cutting back at Green?

Did you read/hear the latest? Southwest is starting service in Boston. How long do you think it will be before they start cutting back at Green?

I think they'll more likely cut back at Manchester before they cut back at Green. Fewer people fly out of Manchester than they do Green.

The news worried me a bit. I guess we'll see what happens.

I think they'll more likely cut back at Manchester before they cut back at Green. Fewer people fly out of Manchester than they do Green.

The news worried me a bit. I guess we'll see what happens.

Does anyone know if there is any type of rail service to Manchester? One thing that I think they are doing spot on is the intermodal system. Only caviot is that they are relying on MBTA for the rail service. From what I hear, hopefully I am wrong as the info is just what I read in another topic on this site, is that MBTA is only going south as far as Warwick. This will be great for Green provided 2 things.

1.They get the runways expended so more flights, especially those to the west coast can be added.

2. They have frequent enough stops to make it really viable.

Also there needs to be some option to serve souther RI, Northern RI (towards Woonsocket), and maybe SE Mass. I believe Prov-Woc RR already has track in those directions.

Can you please provide the numbers or a link to such?

EDIT: ok I looked it up and yes BDL is down around 10% vs 8.8% at green but for 2008 BDL pushed 6.6Million passengers as apposed to 4.3Million in PVD. Not sure what Manchester has done. And ofcourse this decline is all that Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian needs in his agenda to put the kybosh on the runway expansion alltogether.

http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/we...rt_20090720_deg

No train service to New Hampshire with the exception of Amtrak in Portsmouth on its way to Portland (found out the hard way).

Then finally we are poised to potentially do something amazing. If we could get the airport improvments done and get some decent light rail then TFG could be a hit.

While I think it will be a success as is the success will only be marginal if we dont get the runway expansion done. If we can get the runway expanded and add some west coast destinations then things could go big time. Maybe even some international.

Also the light rail needs to reach. Anyone have any more insight on what trains are exactly serving? I heard that they were trying to get Amtrak to stop but that didnt fly. I know that MBTA is doing at least a small number (4-8) stops there but that is as far south as they go. What about serving other areas of the state? P&W expressed interest in doing passenger in the past and do some charter stuff according to their website. They also have quite a bit of track that serves a corridor up through Woonsocket up to north of Worcester and I believe they also go to Davisville and out towards SE Mass.

http://www.pwrr.com/PWmap2.html

This could be oppertunity o plenty for PWRR and for RI/TFG.

Does anyone know if there is any type of rail service to Manchester?

There are 'plans' for commuter rail to New Hampshire (Nashua, Manchester (with likely an airport station), and Concord), however, NH has a history of not being very supportive of rail projects, they do not pay in to the Downeaster Amtrak service for example and have been recalcitrant on Boston-Montreal high-speed rail. The governor's office and legislature have both switched to the Dem side (the Republican Gov. was a big obstacle), but I have not heard if there has been any movement on funding these projects under Gov. Lynch. The City of Nashua was working on their own building a new station.

The T is focused south with RI and NB-FR projects being priorities.

The T did go to southern New Hampshire round about the late 80's I believe.

With the latest bill for high speed and other rail projects, New Hampshire did make a joint application towards getting trains up to Manchester and even as far as Concord. they even applied for money towards the Boston Montreal project.

That project does have a lot of drive behind it - the line will do a lot more than just service the airport, so it stands a halfway decent chance of being built someday. In many ways that makes it all the more vital that RI gets good service to the airport - if there is a decent connection to the airport from the likes of Lowell - you will get a lot of people who will drive part way and take a train the rest.

I am not entirely 100% sure but is it true that RI threw a few million to MBTA to buy trains to serve us? I heard it somewhere, I will try to look it up.

We have an agreement with the T in which we bought cars for the expanded service to Providence, we also built the rail yard on Route 95 as part of the agreement for southern expansion.

I believe there was (or will be) another purchase by RI for MBTA rolling stock to expand the service to TFG Airport and Wickford that is part of the tentative agreement. I think most people may not realize that the agreement is a very complex issue that involves more than simply RIDOT and the MBTA/MBCR. Insurance, AMTRAK track rights and infrastructure, and legal issues all need to come together before it can be a finalized deal. I think that the simple parts of providing the 8 roundtrips isn't an issue, it's all the other behind the scenes stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived