New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

I've decided that, from here on out, whenever I visit a city and take tons of photographs, I'm going to burn a CD for every city. I will arrange the photos into dated folders, and I will add photos of that city to its CD until such a time that I fill it up. I will write the city name on the CD and then I will take a CD wallet and keep all the CDs in there as a photo album full of CDs... thousands upon thousands of photos on one small album.

:lol: I'm in the process of doing that right now, seriously. New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Charlotte, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Birmingham, Chatanooga, Richmond, and everywhere in between. :thumbsup:

Oh and BTW, I'm probably going to buy a flash drive or two also. I used to have a 512mb, but lost it...on my desk! <_<

:lol: I'm in the process of doing that right now, seriously. New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Charlotte, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Birmingham, Chatanooga, Richmond, and everywhere in between. :thumbsup:

Oh and BTW, I'm probably going to buy a flash drive or two also. I used to have a 512mb, but lost it...on my desk! <_<

Lost it on your desk!? :lol: Sounds like my desk at the office. I really should have crime scene tape wrapped around my desk!!!!

Yeah, a flash drive or two, preferably with at least 1g, would be a good way to go.

And the CD thing is cool... it's funny that you're doing that as well! I've been telling my wife lately that I want to do that. I've got tons of blank CDs and a CD burner, so there's no reason not to do that.

Big improvement. Even special concrete will be used. I am glad the new bridge will be taller; That's a big contrast in elevation IMO.

You're definately right about that, Richy! It will be a huge improvement. Combining the two new spans, there will be a total of 10 lanes, 6 of which will be for traffic, and 4 which will be side shoulders.

Wow, it's going to beamazing to have two 200+ (One Shell Square & the Trump Tower) meter buildings seprated by just one building on Poydras Street! BTW the one building that separates those two is 100 meters!

It definately will! :D And from what I've heard, when the official data, floorplans, and renderings come out for the tower soon, we could be looking at a tower closer to 800 feet than 700. :thumbsup:

Having Trump tower is going to be awesome. Seeing tall buildings always amazes me and having them close to home is even better. :lol:

Hey, Baton Rouge will be seeing its fair share of tall buildings soon as well! There are plenty of people in the country that would love to call RiverPlace their's! :D

Including me.

The only mid- or high-rise building we have going right now is another hotel.

The larger condo and hotel projects will come, they just have to work their way up across the state. New Orleans is getting them, Baton Rouge is getting them, Lafayette is starting to get them, and everntually they'll roll into Shreveport. ;)

^Yea, the CPC problem is something that needs to be tended to quickly, but I think we'll be OK with that in the long run. The problem could be fixed much faster than it is happening right now, but the problem itself is something that is definately expected. When you combine the fact that we have so many projects being proposed with the fact that we don't have enough planners on the CPC you will obviously have a problem. But again, I think we'll be alright in the long run.

They just need to fast track projects that have say 20 mil+ value and that will make sure that large scale projects are definitely dealt with. But to me and department that creates revenue should be dealt with. The certainly arent having trouble hiring meter maids. Which is fine because they create revenue but so does economic development. Time is money and it will kill a project if it takes to long. They should partner with Tulane and UNO and get some of the students to help out. Mutually beneficial.

Here is some very interesting news coming from New Orleans developer Tom Bauer. He has already proposed a 28 story condo tower in the Warehouse District, and it now looks like he is planning a much larger condo project outside of the French Quarter in the northern section of downtown New Orleans. I really hope this project goes forward, even if the height may be a bit tall, because a project like this could really bring some life back to this section of downtown, which is pretty bland right now.

Rezoning sought for condo plan

900 units near Quarter proposed

Article from the Times-Picayune

But based on preliminary designs he has shown unofficially to the commission and to some nearby property owners and residents, Bauer is planning a 900-unit condo project, to be called either St. Louis Place or the Nouveau Carre, and featuring two or three towers as tall as 30 stories and 361 feet each. The address would be 1501 St. Louis St., across the street from the Iberville public housing development.

Location of the proposed project site: Link

Now I have absolutely no problem with this project. i think the location is great and we need to throw everything we can in that area to remove the stigma of that disgusting housing project. If we can increas the value of the property, I think we would have aneasier time selling the land that the housing project is on. The height is fine to me as well, since the site is norht of the French Quarter, it will have little to no affect on the French Quarter. The shadows from these buildings will fall to the east and west. So this along with the Woolworth would definitely change the area. I hope he still does something with that property in the Warehouse District that is mroe compatible with the neighborhood.

Cheers,

derek

Now I have absolutely no problem with this project. i think the location is great and we need to throw everything we can in that area to remove the stigma of that disgusting housing project. If we can increas the value of the property, I think we would have aneasier time selling the land that the housing project is on. The height is fine to me as well, since the site is norht of the French Quarter, it will have little to no affect on the French Quarter. The shadows from these buildings will fall to the east and west. So this along with the Woolworth would definitely change the area. I hope he still does something with that property in the Warehouse District that is mroe compatible with the neighborhood.

That's exactly how I feel about this project. I grew up in the French Quarter, and I would never support a project that I thought would negatively affect the Quarter in any way, and I'm all in favor of this project as well as the Woolworth Tower.

I thought this was a hilarious quote from the article:

Opposition also could come from community activists who fear Bauer's project would threaten the future of the Iberville housing complex, which has reopened partially since Katrina but which activists fear various developers want to demolish.

To all "activists" for the Iberville Project: "Various developers" do not want to demolish that project, everyone does.