New Orleans Development Thread

NCB

Hahah, I could not have said that better. Its like find me one person who thinks that craphole should stay. Also, its called public housing because the "taxpayer owns it", so when it is economically advantageous for the taxpayer to sell, we should. If the residents dont like it, well get a job and buy a place. If your living on the communitys dime, you should live by its desires. I just dont ,for the life of me, understand why we have public housing for people that drive Mercedes and BMWs that they get from selling crack. And these housing activists should be forced to live in these projects before they can say anything about them.

Do yall think there is any chance that Iberville could be torn down in the next 5 or so years, even though they have already announced which projects will be demolished?

I think there is still a chance, but I don't know if it will actually happen. If the mayor or someone on the city council were to really get behind the idea and push it, I think we could see something happen. But if anything like that were to ever happen, there would be so much backlash from these damn "activists" that I don't really know what the outcome would be. Again, if someone with power in the city really pushed that idea, I think we could see something get done.

http://www.neworleanscitybusiness.com/upto....cfm?recid=5407

Central City condos Ok'd by N.O. Planners

Great to see this project approved, it will be a great development for the Central City area. :thumbsup:

I thought the developers had all financing and plans in place, but I guess they're still working on that.

To me our best chance to get rid of the project is to surround it on all sides with new developments. Raising the property value of the projects themselves and making them more lucrative to the city to sell. It looks like this is already taking place. The winn-dixie will be replaced by three towers, the Krauss apartments, Woolworth Condo building, the biotechnology center, armstrong park, the new medical center and the texaco building condos would certainly help push the property values in that area. Im really not too worried about these housing activists once the property value increases.

Hey Nate, didn't you say there is the possibility of a 900-100foot tower for New Orleans?

Yes, from what I know there is a 900-1000 foot mixed-use tower in New Orleans in the planning stages. Post-Katrina construction costs and insurance issues have pushed the project back, but it is still moving forward.

Yes, from what I know there is a 900-1000 foot mixed-use tower in New Orleans in the planning stages. Post-Katrina construction costs and insurance issues have pushed the project back, but it is still moving forward.

Seems like every major city is trying to cash in on the 1000 foot mark. But like someone said a skyline is like a bar graph telling you how successful a city is, and that's definitely true because sometimes when you look at a city's skyline and it's not very impressive you don't thing much of it.

But like someone said a skyline is like a bar graph telling you how successful a city is, and that's definitely true because sometimes when you look at a city's skyline and it's not very impressive you don't thing much of it.

In some ways, that's very true. Just looking at the skylines of New York and Chicago, you know that they are two very large and powerful cities. And Houston's skyline shows power and dominance over the region. But in New Orleans for example, the city is so much more than just the skyline. Sure, the skyline shows that it is a large major city, and has dominance over the surrounding area, but there is so much more there than just business. But in a way, skylines are your first impression of a city, and the first impression is always the most important! :D

Iberville is gonna be the next housing project to go. Most New Orleans housing projects sit on valuable pieces of land. The only logical thought for those activists protesting is that they think the Iberville project residents won't have a place to go. Many times this isn't the case because whenever a housing project is knocked down, the housing authority gives public housing residents money to move into another project, or buy a rental home altogether. I do know this, Central City is gonna get a big economic boost as soon as this project takes off. Ya boy is getting one of those condos :shades:

Edited by UptownNewOrleans

Well Good luck with your purchase there. I think that is going to be a near area. Nate, how did you hear about this 1,000 foot project in New Orleans and do you have any idea where it may be located.

Cheers,

Derek

I've been hearing about that supertall project for quite some time now, long before Katrina. I heard early mention of it in early 2005 from friends in the city. At that point, all I knew about it was that it would be a new tallest for the city, and this is before the now Trump Tower was even made public. I didn't think that much of it at first, but I began hearing about it on other forums and picked up more info. Soon I heard that the developers of that tower and the Poydras LLC. developers of Trump Tower, were in sort of a height war, both wanting their building to hold the claim of "tallest in New Orleans." Soon after, the rumors that Donald Trump was interested in getting involved in the Poydras LLC. project were made official, and soon after that "Trump Tower" was somewhat unveiled to the public. Since Katrina, I've heard that the building project is still moving forward, though due to construction costs and planning issues after Katrina, the public announcements for the project could be postponed for another 18, or more, months. I have also heard that the tower would most likely be mixed-use, and would be somewhere between 900-1000+ feet tall, and the location I've heard about most is somewhere along the River in the CBD. Now, with the demand for office space downtown increasing every day, I think a mixed use tower this large could very well work. If you dedicated 2/4 or 2/5 of the building to office space, and filled the rest of it with condo's, retail, and maybe a hotel or something of that sort, I could see the demand being great enough to support a tower that large.

Tell me more about the 900-100 ft tower. is it an office tower or tower like the Space needle . Do you have any rendering. Where would it be located downtown

From what I know, it would be mixed-use, and located along the riverfront somewhere in the CBD. No remdering's as the tower is still in early planning stages.