The West End

gs3

14 minutes ago, Gville2012 said:

I saw that earlier this week also, then drove by today and it was gone. :dontknow:

Really? That’s weird. Apaladin probably stole it after he heard them call the new county square building a tower. :D Either that or a drunk person walking down Main Street decided to have a little fun. 

Edited by gman430

Seems odd to me... there are already so many coffee shops on Main St, including one across the street... although no drive throughs. We certainly have pizza, tacos, and coffee covered downtown!

Applicant is SBX 100 Main St. LLC so would lead me to believe it is a Starbucks... making it the third on Main.

36 minutes ago, GMoxley said:

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/7341?fileID=34849

Drive through coffee shop on Main street. Yikes

Wow, what a colossal waste of prime land.  CAP should know better.  This parcel should be merged with the GTA property for a major project.  Hopefully this dies a quick death.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GMoxley said:

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/7341?fileID=34849

Drive through coffee shop on Main street. Yikes

If your business model depends on vehicular traffic, downtown urban sites are not your sweet spot.  Downtown is only going to get more pedestrian over time. Downtown streets are not by nature supposed to be designed to accommodate drive through traffic backing out into it.  This would block normal traffic and threatens to impede fire, police and ambulance traffic.  Thats a hell no for me. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gvegascple said:

If your business model depends on vehicular traffic, downtown urban sites are not your sweet spot.  Downtown is only going to get more pedestrian over time. Downtown streets are not by nature supposed to be designed to accommodate drive through traffic backing out into it.  This would block normal traffic and threatens to impede fire, police and ambulance traffic.  Thats a hell no for me. 

True but CVS on Main has a drive thru in the rear doesn't it?  Don't see how you can allow one and turn down the other.

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

True but CVS on Main has a drive thru in the rear doesn't it?  Don't see how you can allow one and turn down the other.

1. CVS doesn't have a drive thru vehicle entrance on Main.

2. A pharmacy drive thru is much less busy than a Starbucks drive thru.

3. People didn't want the CVS drive thru when it was announced many years ago. People have wised up even more sense then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 8:20 AM, vicupstate said:

Indeed. After the staff approved it, I was worried. CAP needs to work with the city to merge this parcel into a project with the GTA property. 

I don't think the Starbucks was rejected. Just the drive thru according to this.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/eat-drink/city-rejects-starbucks-drive-thru-on-main-street-in-the-west-end/

Edited by vistatiger

4 hours ago, vistatiger said:

I don't think the Starbucks was rejected. Just the drive thru according to this.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/eat-drink/city-rejects-starbucks-drive-thru-on-main-street-in-the-west-end/

It would not be in their purview to speak to anything other than the exception that was being requested.   I would think that without the drive-thru it may not be in Starbucks interest to pay the same price for  the property. Hopefully that would kill the deal. If they want a location and can't have a drive-thru then the retail space at the Green Monster would make more sense.      

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

It would not be in their purview to speak to anything other than the exception that was being requested.   I would think that without the drive-thru it may not be in Starbucks interest to pay the same price for  the property. Hopefully that would kill the deal. If they want a location and can't have a drive-thru then the retail space at the Green Monster would make more sense.      

Or half of the former Compadre's spot would be great with the patio opportunities out front and behind, plus a hotel across the street and another one proposed a block away.

• Like 1