Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

^^I mean to be fair the stretch of 95 south of the river up to Chippenham ain't all that pretty either....the cigarette pylon is the only cool landmark otherwise you get that stench passing by the wastewater plant and not much else

But then then you have that awesome view of Richmond!  Honestly, I love the the higher-density industry traveling Northbound with the approaching skyline as a backdrop.  It creates more of a feel of entering a city such as Philadelphia, New York or Baltimore, just on a smaller scale.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Icetera said:

But then then you have that awesome view of Richmond!  Honestly, I love the the higher-density industry traveling Northbound with the approaching skyline as a backdrop.  It creates more of a feel of entering a city such as Philadelphia, New York or Baltimore, just on a smaller scale.

Oh, I love the northbound view for sure!  It's the southbound view that is very anticlimactic...even worse, just disappointing. Aside from the views of the city, I would like to see the industry cleaned up along 95 in general and I'd like to see the area around the highway proper cleaned up and beautified. Really, this stretch of road is the gateway to Richmond and frankly, it currently looks like a junk yard (best thing I could come up with). It's not very inviting and gives off the first impression to people driving through that Richmond is a trashy city and is not a place to check out and stay. It would be nice if all the industry along the corridor were replaced by glass office buildings and modern growth. That, and a clean up, would do wonders to making the corridor through Richmond much more attractive. Just my 2 cents. 

In all fairness, that stretch today looks better than it has in 60 years.  The vegetation along the sides was cleaned up during the last expansion of 95 (ended what, 2 years ago?).  One of those literal junk yards is going away.  A large (5floor?) apartment complex is replacing it. 

I'm disappointed (angry) that the climbing gym being built near Lumbardy wasn't more aestheticly pleasing.  That is certainly a missed opportunity. 

The 64/95 interchange is being completely redeveloped.  I imagine that the spillover effect of that will stretch at least a 1/2 mile north into this area. 

Edited by Brent114

2 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

It looks like the old McDonalds on Hull St. got demolished!

I was worried it would set there empty for a decade. 

I took the 61 yesterday morning during the demolition, and every and myself watched out the window as the operator of the claw ripped through Old McDonald. It was glorious, if only they'd do it to the new one located catty-corner.

Edited by DJCortesRVA
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, Brent114 said:

The 64/95 interchange is being completely redeveloped.  I imagine that the spillover effect of that will stretch at least a 1/2 mile north into this area. 

Which end?  Downtown of Bryan Park Interchange?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not relevant to Richmond at all, but this whole Photobucket ''update your account to enable 3rd party hosting'' thing is really annoying and greedy, it's been affecting the ability to view construction photos everywhere, not just here, but other places like Skyscrapercity and Skyscraperpage as well. Even coupe's signature is blocked

20 hours ago, Oaktowntwinz said:

I didn't know where to post this re Richmond's population but thought you guys might find it interesting. It looks like the entire metro is growing faster than previously expected.  https://chpn.net/2017/07/03/richmond-population-expected-to-become-13-hispanic-top-250000-by-2040/

For the city, those estimates sound low unless there is an expected slow down.  At current rates we should be reaching 250k my 2023-4.

2018 230129
2019 233689
2020 237304
2021 240975
2022 244704
2023 248489
2024 252334
  • Like 2

Yeah according the US census, we've added about 19k since the 2010 census, put that at about 2700 a year and we're looking at numbers like what Icetera said.

Everywhere I've seen this cooper center prediction people are saying it seems very low and I'd take it with a big grain of salt, a 36% grain of salt.

"Keep in mind that the future, especially the distant future, is largely unknown and unpredictable. Projections of all types are only as valid as their underlying assumptions. Empirical studies show the average error for 30-year projections at the county level is 36%." -Cooper Center

I'd put my money on hitting 250k well before 2040.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Icetera said:

For the city, those estimates sound low unless there is an expected slow down.  At current rates we should be reaching 250k my 2023-4.

2018 230129
2019 233689
2020 237304
2021 240975
2022 244704
2023 248489
2024 252334

If anything, the population trend may increase, so even these numbers might be conservative.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Icetera said:

2018 230129
2019 233689
2020 237304
2021 240975
2022 244704
2023 248489
2024 252334

I'd say it's probably somewhere in between this and the Cooper Center estimates. We haven't seen 3500-4000 per year growth quite yet. My bet is 250k by 2030.

• Like 2

I think this is another example of the strong suburban bias that still exists in the Richmond area. Its the same mindset that has people wanting more parking downtown when downtown has way too many parking lots now. If the county's grow as much as these projections show there will be total grid lock in the built up areas. That will cause even more people to move to the City. That can't pave their way out of what they continue to build out there and they are not even looking at public transportation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I would be curious to know when/if Richmond will pass Chesapeake and Norfolk in population.

I think a huge factor in Richmond's population in the future is the school system.

There is a huge demographic--middle income families--that RVA is missing out on.

If one of the school districts get a k-12 school set that performs well, I think we'll see a huge bump in development from families and induced demand around that district for empty nesters.

If you look at someplace like Chesapeake, you see so much of the development happening around Great Bridge, Hickory, and Grassfield High boundaries.