Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

On 3/7/2016 at 3:38 PM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

For the sake of keeping discussion rolling, (and because I'm bored sitting at this desk), how about some questions:

• What is the under construction development you are most excited about?
  • What is the proposed development you are most excited about?
  • What are some vacant/underutilized lots you would like to see developed/redeveloped?

1. The Pulse -- glad to see Richmond start to get serious about transit

2. Dominion's new tower -- could dramatically reshape Richmond's skyline and give the city a more "big city" feel

3. Covering sections of the Downtown Expressway/I-195 -- I think this would be a great project.  It does not have to be a continuous stretch.  It would reconnect neighborhoods severed by the expressway while creating a series of ribbon parks and restoring the street grid.  It could serve as an avenue for self propelled transportation.  The areas that seem most conducive to this are a few blocks west of Kanawha Plaza, Oregon Hill/Randolph, and I-195 from the Board Street overpass to the Cary Street overpass.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:
  • What are some vacant/underutilized lots you would like to see developed/redeveloped?

1. BRT -- I think it's going to be billed as a flop at first.  Honestly, broad street doesn't have much fun on it right now.  When approving it, I think Agelasto made a great point.  BRT will fail the the city council continues to approve things like self-storage on Broad street.  If things start popping up on/near Broad street that lots of people enjoy, I think it will be a great success.  If the city council starts approving things like new car dealerships, lots of surface level parking, etc.  then it's definitely going to fail.

2. I agree with Wahoo 07 on Dominion tower being the most exciting new development.  I also think the ICA is very exciting.  

3. I really think that this section of Jackson Ward would be great for some apartments. I'm sure there are a ton of commuters (as seen from all the parked cars) that might enjoy just walking out their front door in the morning.

I really want to see Richmond start thinking about its residents and less about the county's.  Richmond really needs to start making it easier to live here than to commute here.  Until we get into that mindset, we're just going to stagnate.

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 3

On 3/7/2016 at 3:38 PM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

For the sake of keeping discussion rolling, (and because I'm bored sitting at this desk), how about some questions:

1. I'm pretty happy about the VCU Contemporary Arts Center being built; it'll help broad street out a bit, add nice architectural piece to the city and create another destination for visitors. 

2. I'd say the Dominion Tower, I hope they really bring something great to downtown.

3. Besides the endless amount of parking lots, I think Monroe Ward has potential for being the next boom neighborhood or at least more development, such a nice location. I'd also like to see Reynolds South development take off, imagine a skyline of high-rises that continues into the south side of the river. 

5 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

WestRock to lease top two floors of building according to RTD.  

It looks like WestRock has gone from 850 to 600 since the merger.  I really hope that trend doesn't continue.

Yeah, one of my fears is that they are going to leave Richmond for Georgia since the CEO and all operations are in Georgia now.  Richmond does not need to be dealt another blow after Media General got bought out.  Anyway, I sure hope all the empty space downtown can be filled quickly.  So much empty space now.  If downtown can fill the space quickly, we just might see more towers being built for office space. The 3Twenty One tower and Dominion's new tower might be the last new office towers we see in a while if there is no demand. Heck, at this point I don't think the office tower at Reynolds South will be built for a long while unless a company comes in just wanting their own building (certainly not out of the question, but I just don't see it right now).  It will be interesting to see what will be next for downtown.  I hope it's not an office tower drought for 20 more years (after Dominion tower is built).

What a slow week for development news in Richmond this week!  Good gosh, I'm dying over here watching the Norfolk area land virtually thousands of jobs (hats off to them) and Richmond is sitting here trying to figure out how it's going to fill all the vacancy it has downtown!  For real, I hope next week is better!

On 3/17/2016 at 6:25 PM, eandslee said:

What a slow week for development news in Richmond this week!  Good gosh, I'm dying over here watching the Norfolk area land virtually thousands of jobs (hats off to them) and Richmond is sitting here trying to figure out how it's going to fill all the vacancy it has downtown!  For real, I hope next week is better!

I don't think 1,800 call center jobs is anything to be jealous about.  The average call center job has about 150% annual turnover and little, if any, upward mobility.  I would not want 1,800 call center jobs plopped into the James Center. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbjust said:

I don't think 1,800 call center jobs is anything to be jealous about.  The average call center job has about 150% annual turnover and little, if any, upward mobility.  I would not want 1,800 call center jobs plopped into the James Center. 

I don't see how 1,800 jobs is worse than none.

Local businesses won't care that it's a different group shopping there every six months.  The landlord still gets paid for the space regardless of the turnover rate.  

It's not as if cheap office jobs take away from high paying ones.  If there isn't enough office space, the market will just produce more towers.... which is what I want.

• Like 2

I have no data on this, but it sure seems like since I've lived here (~26 years) we have been on the wrong end of the merger game most of the time.  When our companies start getting momentum, they get beat down or bought.  Lumber Liquidators was rocking and rolling and looking to move to richmond proper...then...well you know.  The banks of years back...Media General - look at how the MWV was a great grab complete with shiny new cool riverfront building then bam! off to GA (and yes, in my opinion, there will be little more than a PO box and a few employees here in 10 years)...Wasnt Capital One a spinoff of Signet bank?  Why are they not headquartered in RVA with a proper downtown presence?  plenty of more just ranting so someone counter with the bright side I need it this morning :)

...and Dominion isn't going anywhere. In fact, they will still be building what I hope will be the states tallest building downtown!  Also Suntrust is going to occupy a 21-23 story building on the canal!  Things are moving in a positive direction!  Keep your chin up brother!

19 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

How about this for a counter - Based on new Census estimates, the City's population is estimated to be over 220,000... hasn't been this high since the late 70's / 1980.

Very exciting news.  At this rate, in another decade, we could very well pass Chesapeake and Norfolk in population making us the 2nd largest city in Virginia.  

Chart for Comparison:

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/51550,51710,51760

5 hours ago, Richmonopoly said:

Very exciting news.  At this rate, in another decade, we could very well pass Chesapeake and Norfolk in population making us the 2nd largest city in Virginia.  

Chart for Comparison:

http://www.census.gov/quickfacts/table/PST045215/51550,51710,51760

Chesapeake maybe....I wouldn't be surpsied seeing Norfolk hitting over 260K within the 10 years.

28 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Chesapeake maybe....I wouldn't be surpsied seeing Norfolk hitting over 260K within the 10 years.

At the documented grow rates, Richmond would surpass Norfolk within 10 years and Chesapeake in 20:

Chesapeake 264k
Richmond 257k (peak pop. 250k 1970)
Norfolk 254k

Richmond 298k
Chesapeake 297k
Norfolk 261k

Of course, the growth rates remaining static are unlikely.

Fun data from UVA showing demographics trends of 1990 and 2012 with relation to cities and their suburbs (defaults to Charlotte) and related article:

http://statchatva.org/changing-shape-of-american-cities/

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/03/this-chart-tool-shows-how-city-centers-are-doing-better-than-inner-suburbs/386543/

Of note, while the Norfolk area overall is improving, there is no trend toward making it the proper center of the Hampton Roads.  This seems to fit with others metros containing many separate city centers such as New York, Washington and Boston.

Edited by Icetera
Added input

7 hours ago, Icetera said:

Fun data from UVA showing demographics trends of 1990 and 2012 with relation to cities and their suburbs (defaults to Charlotte) and related article:

http://statchatva.org/changing-shape-of-american-cities/

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/03/this-chart-tool-shows-how-city-centers-are-doing-better-than-inner-suburbs/386543/

Of note, while the Norfolk area overall is improving, there is no trend toward making it the proper center of the Hampton Roads.  This seems to fit with others metros containing many separate city centers such as New York, Washington and Boston.

Did anybody else find it funny that the study linked above from UVA uses maroon (2012) and orange (1990) to signify the years on the graph?

Chesterfield is really building up its border with Richmond.  There is the Boulder's office park (horrible layout IMO) where I work.  It's just beyond the City proper's border.

There is also the border on Midlothian Turnpike where the Chippenham Expressway separates Richmond and Chesterfield.  On the Chesterfield side they just put up a new Kroger and are putting up a ton of apartments.

You can see some of the already finished ones as well as where they're constructing more.

mRGSCiS.jpg

Here is the location in 2011 and in 2015.  It's a huge difference.

However, if we jump on the other side of Chippenham expressway, the only new construction I can see is at this corner.  It looks like it's just going to be a very small retail strip with hardly any square footage. 

B9L2tE9.jpg

I hope the development on the border spurs some changes on the Richmond side of the border, but I'm just not experienced enough to know if that's how it works.  My gut tells me that Chesterfield is just doing it to milk taxes out of Richmond though.

Edited by RiverYuppy
typo

i  live in this part of Richmond and there are some big things planned for this area, one in particular is the Gresham Woods development right behind the old super K-MART there is 118 acres that has a 400 home development planned. The city or developer could work with the large area around Gresham Woods and the old KMART to create a nice live work play area similar to what is going on in Chesterfield. 

Here is the (conceptual master plan for Gresham Woods) 

ftp://ftp.ci.richmond.va.us/City%20Clerk/OrdinancesAndResolutionsTooLargeToUploadToClerkTrackingSystem/Ord.%20No.%202014-161-152%20-%20Complete.pdf

There is also the new community center on Carnation as well as the development of Seacrest Park and Canterbury Development just put in a slew of new town homes just across the street from the fire station and community center. 

you can find more info here on the midlothian area (2014 report) 

http://www.richmondregional.org/Publications/Reports_and_Documents/Planning/Richmond/Midlo_Study_Report.pdf 

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 10.26.12 PM.png

Edited by Marcus Squires

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No date specifically but soon. The Grace street entrance you can see in and its looking quite nice. Also they have started leasing I'm pretty sure, at least there are ads out for the apartments. I've lived three blocks down from CNB for over three years and they have been working on that thing for almost the entire time. I'm excited to see if finally open.