Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

The lot east of the Comso is the parking lot which is the future home of the 2nd office tower which will be a high rise, 22 stories I think. The staging area I think they are referring to though is the site of those 2 homes that are still standing in the midst of all the construction.

My post disappeared. :huh: What I had typed out earlier was that there is 2 story retail planned adjacent to (attached to) the Westin on the western side the lot. That side currently doubles as a staging area for all the constrction equipment. I do not believe the plans for block 9, which is not technically "adjacent to" the Westin have changed. They have until 2014 to make something happen with that.

Another highlight of the article, the office space is 100% leased. :)

* 70% of the Comso has been rented out.

This should help quiet some of the doomsayers out there. You don't typically have speculators for rental space.

This should help quiet some of the doomsayers out there. You don't typically have speculators for rental space.

What? You've never heard of sub-renting? Or as I like to call Apartment Flipping? Do it all the time.

Seriously though, they're expanded the retail along Independence from 1-story to 2-stories? That's good. Either they signed a big retailer or there's strong demand for space. Isn't there also supposed to be a large retail area on the west side of PAC along Independence?

All of the office space in Town Center?

" Current office space is 100% leased and the Hilton Garden inn, which caters to business traveleres, stays busy... " That's the quote from the paper, sounds like they're referring to all office space that exists in TC currently.

Pedestrians suffer at Town Center

Ah, it seems like just yesterday some of us in the media were invited to an exciting Virginia Beach news conference where ambitious plans for Town Center were unveiled.

The conference was organized, as I recall, by city officials and a handful of businessmen.

They dazzled us with renderings of what the area would look like once the office towers, high-end retail shops and restaurants were all in place. They promised magical things for our fair city once the project was built.

See Thing Your Way.

Latest Videos

Then came the question.

One of my news colleagues gazed out the window to the gridlocked mess below on Virginia Beach Boulevard. How, he asked, will this road accommodate the increased traffic?

The reply - in essence - was let's wait and see,

That's what passed for planning about six years ago in Virginia Beach.

Now that we've waited, we've also seen the development of a pedestrian nightmare.

On the Virginia Beach city website. One of the Town Center hot topic links lists Block 11 as a 1.2 Million square foot development down the pipeline. Thats HUGE!

That link is old. It still lists Block 7 (Westin) as 837,000 sqft with no mention of what that will be. However, considering the talk that Office Tower 2 will be larger than AH Tower, then the 1.2 million sqft number sounds about right. Remember, though, that number includes the parking garage, so actual office/retail space may only be 600,000 sqft in the end.

Here's the link for those who are wondering where this is at:

TC Physical Details

That link is old. It still lists Block 7 (Westin) as 837,000 sqft with no mention of what that will be. However, considering the talk that Office Tower 2 will be larger than AH Tower, then the 1.2 million sqft number sounds about right. Remember, though, that number includes the parking garage, so actual office/retail space may only be 600,000 sqft in the end.

Here's the link for those who are wondering where this is at:

TC Physical Details

Actually I think 1.2 mil SF is a bit low if the office tower will be bigger than AH. Block 11 is one of the larger blocks and will contain other things in addition to an office tower. If the office tower were alone on the block and had a 200x250 footprint it would be about 24 stories. I assume the 1.2 mil SF figure was very conceptual, and once a development materializes for this block we'll get a more concrete number.

Right, although the new tower is slated for 22 stories (at this time which could easily change) and the first one at 24 stories, the footprint for the new tower is actually larger so it may incorporate more square feet.

Right on.

Construction is set to begin on the new 20-story second high-rise office tower at the Town Center of Virginia Beach with occupancy set for Summer 2008. The office component of 287,000 square feet over 12 floors will be above a 800 car parking garage. In addition, there will be 80,000 square feet of retail stores complementing the tenant mix at the Town Center.

So if it's now at 22 stories, that would mean 14 floors of office space which would come out to 335,000 sqft based on extrapolating the presented figures. That would be about 80,000 sqft more than the AH Tower. Indeed, it would be significantly larger.

So if it's now at 22 stories, that would mean 14 floors of office space which would come out to 335,000 sqft based on extrapolating the presented figures. That would be about 80,000 sqft more than the AH Tower. Indeed, it would be significantly larger.

Construction is set to begin, but when?

Construction is set to begin, but when?

Don't know. Maybe someone here with the connections to Divaris and/or AH knows. I would speculate that they'd aim to start when the Westin structure is finished near the end of this year. End of this year or early next year would be my guess if they want to have it ready for occupancy in summer 2008.

Edited by hoobo

I like this. A lot of urban areas have an early work week evening (Mon, Tues, Wed) or Saturday morning farmers' market. Like the city official said, it will add foot traffic during a slow time of the week. And like the Farmers' Market official said it won't hurt them. It could actually help them by using cross-promotion. Just so I understand, Norfolk's farmers' market is an everyday market (except during skating rink season) on the third-anchor grass, correct?

This is great news. I have thought all along having a farmer's market in the CBD would be a great idea. It would be more ideal though if they would open more than just Saturday mornings but it is definitely a start in the right direction.