Carolina Hurricanes

It is sad that the mid-90s Raleigh City Council was not even thinking Greensboro Coliseum big, only Laurence Joel "big". I think part of it was trying to do it on the cheap -- the initial price tag for the ESA was $66 million, with a third each coming from the county, state, and wolfpack club. Another part of the thinking was "we don't need another Dean Dome". It does not do nearly as well because UNC limits the type and timing of shows put on there and (for better or worse) there is a lot less vehichle accessibility.

Hopefully this "planning for the future" will seep into TTA territory, but it is hard to tell. If "Grand Central Station" concept uniting Amtrack, CAT, TTA, and Grayhound together in the warehouse district (or the state govt stop) gains traction, anything is possible.

Carter-Finley will always be famous for being the home stadium of the only professional team to never win a game -- the world league of american football's (now NFL Europe) Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks. And it played host to ECU's upset over Miami after Floyd flooding, and a few of the state's biggest concerts (Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Jimmy Buffet) although BoA in Charlotte might have that title now.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rofl:

Good point, and I have always thought that (minus his lack of leadership on transit) he has done well to go after his vision for DT and the city when others wanted to stay safe and be cautious. I hope the Convention Center (another of "his" projects), Plensa, etc. goes as well as expected.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is why Wake County Commisioner Phil Jeffreys came out yesterday and started to talk about the convention center and how bookings in the Charlotte CC are down so therefore, Raleigh's will be down (wasting money and not a good idea vs Meeker's remarks). I get a feeling that many "NO" politicians felt the "velvet punch" by Meeker. I think it was nothing but politics. Surprised he did not get interviewed in front of the Tower +light art piece on Capital BLvd. (or what ever it is).

He says he hopes it is successful but I really don't think he wants it to be. I think (JMHO) he and the whole "John Locke Pope Project" would rather it not be successful so those same poeple can bring back that "no-vision strip center-I know what is best for you" city view back. (and I am no fiscal liberal !!!!)

I have said it from day 1----Give me a leader who has vision !!! We are a city and should act like a city !! Not some 3rd rate surburban wanna-be utopian nightmare.

Let's see about Jeffreys:

1. didn't finish high school.

2. no higher education except King's Business College (a secreterial school shut down for fraud- owned/operated by none other than George Shinn).

3. retired postal worker.

What a visionary! These are the leaders of this region?

BTW, here is the Clt Observer column about the Canes victory. Sour grapes. At least the readers let him have it. EDIT: Here is Sorensen's response column.

I personally wrote the following e-mail to Mr. Sorenson.

I'm curious why you seem to have this huge implied hatred toward this phenomenon. Our state's first national championship wasn't played in Charlotte, and you're upset? Forgive me, but it sounds like your beloved city isn't as far out on top as some suggest.

I. Bruton

Here is his response (which, by the way, was very promptly returned).

"-- never thought our city was on top or out front. we're getting there

incrementally, and having a good time -- i am, anyway -- doing it. dont

resent raleigh. dont resent the canes. felt perspective was required. gotta

move on. after 12 hours of answering email, the weekend officially has

begun. thanks for writing."

ts

What do you think?

The Hurricanes have signed Brind'amour to a 5-year extension. They are also looking to get the number 2 pick in which they would get Eric Staal's brother Jordan, a 6'5" 215 lb. defenseman by trading Jack Johnson to Pittsburgh.

Not sure on the estimated amount DT...very nice turnout though. The RBC crowd was great. It was clearly packed, and I don't think we could have accomodated much more to be honest. The area is so narrow going down Hillsborough. After driving some downtown streets yesterday...there's just no way in hell they could have done anything more at the present time. It's an absolute warzone down there. Including around Moore Sq./City Market.

^Kinda thinking outside of the box here, but what about running the parade through Durham? I mean, Raleigh is the largest city in the Triangle, but they're called the "Carolina" Hurricanes, so why not consider other parts of town for the bash, since downtown Raleigh is such a mess at the moment?

^Kinda thinking outside of the box here, but what about running the parade through Durham? I mean, Raleigh is the largest city in the Triangle, but they're called the "Carolina" Hurricanes, so why not consider other parts of town for the bash, since downtown Raleigh is such a mess at the moment?
I agree,but instead of just Durham how about all of North Carolina's big cities, it would be called" THE TOUR OF CHAMPIONS",if you wanted too really think out off the box.

I agree,but instead of just Durham how about all of North Carolina's big cities, it would be called" THE TOUR OF CHAMPIONS",if you wanted too really think out off the box.

That's a bit too far outside the box. I don't think a parade in Charlotte would draw more than maybe 50 people, and I'd imagine Asheville might get you 10-15 if you're lucky. Definitely gotta stay in the Triangle, but there are other parts of the Triangle that could've hosted the event.

That's a bit too far outside the box. I don't think a parade in Charlotte would draw more than maybe 50 people, and I'd imagine Asheville might get you 10-15 if you're lucky. Definitely gotta stay in the Triangle, but there are other parts of the Triangle that could've hosted the event.
The purpose of the Tour of Champions is to build fan base and to give all of North Carolina a sense of pride about having their first MAJOR LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP in the state, "like you said they are the Carolina Hurricanes". :D

a) Durham put no money into the RBC Center

b) Downtown Durham is a war zone, too.

The Hurricanes have signed Brind'amour to a 5-year extension. They are also looking to get the number 2 pick in which they would get Eric Staal's brother Jordan, a 6'5" 215 lb. defenseman by trading Jack Johnson to Pittsburgh.

Looks like over the weekend they got Lavi and the the assitant/associate coarches. (I have always been a Jeff Daniels fan). I think with Brindy and Lavi, they know it will help keep some of the young guns who will be getting offers from other teams. Just think, before the Weight/Rechi trade, the Canes payroll was around $28M. Now, Luke DeCock says it will be $40M. That is a big jump. In the past, at its highest, I thought it was at $32M. They will still get revenue sharing at $40M. Now lets see what happens with Staal, Cole, Williams and Cullen ??

Also, I was really hoping they would not trade Jack Johnson away. The Canes need young defense guys. I just hope he did not P-Off Rutherford so much that he is doomed here. If he is to play in the NHL, he better sign soon instead of playing "college boy".

As Rutherford said, and I feel the same way, if he wants an education, then get one and stay four years, but he only wants to go back and hang out in college when there is are $$MM waiting for him on the other side. Either stay and get a degree or move over to the big leagues.

Of course, I am just a fan so what do I know

To me Johnson has all the signs of being a malcontent prima dona. He is a great defenseman but do they want to take a chance with his attitude. Rutherford doesn't seem to be enomored with this guy.

I think the a big question is defense. I think Gerber will be traded and I hope they can get a good defensemen for him. Wesley will probably retire. I like Whalin so I hope he stays and I like Aaron Ward but getting a little long in tooth.

I actually like Tverdarsky but he seems to be outta here if someone will pay the price (and I have heard through inside channels he on the bad side with the coaches) They should have learned with Ozolish on Russian offensive defensement. But they still need to find a good back-up goalie when Ward goes cold.

I think the a big question is defense. I think Gerber will be traded and I hope they can get a good defensemen for him. Wesley will probably retire. I like Whalin so I hope he stays and I like Aaron Ward but getting a little long in tooth.

I actually like Tverdarsky but he seems to be outta here if someone will pay the price (and I have heard through inside channels he on the bad side with the coaches) They should have learned with Ozolish on Russian offensive defensement. But they still need to find a good back-up goalie when Ward goes cold.

I agree with everything you've said above. I suppose that Rutherford is assuming Jack Johnson will come in to replace Wesley.

As far as forwards go, we REALLY need Vasicek to center that 3rd line well, or I don't think he has a place on this team. Maybe by game 20 he will be able to establish his role or at least increase his trade value.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that free agency season is in full swing it looks like the team will pretty much stay intact except for the loss of Gerber, Cullen, Ward, Weight, and Recchi.

I actually think Grahmme is a good one for one swap for Gerber. Cullen and Ward will be hard to replace. Weight and Recchi were good additions but everyone knew they were rentals. Besides re-signing the franchise players they also picked up RW Trevor Letowski from Columbus. I heard he is a good skating, quick scorer and sounds like he will fit in well with this team.

Now that free agency season is in full swing it looks like the team will pretty much stay intact except for the loss of Gerber, Cullen, Ward, Weight, and Recchi.

I'm glad they're going to keep the basic frame work of a championship team together. And, of couse, the reality of nhl hocky today, unfortunately, is that you probably can't keep everyone. I just hope we'll be able to replace Ward and Cullen--who I consider to be major contriputors to winning the Cup. Cullen especially, I thought was really coming into his own (playoffs!) and fit in with our fast pace style. I think he will really be missed.

And yeah, we knew Weight and Recchi would be gone for the upcoming year, unfortunately, but I think it's a tribute to both the 'Canes as a team and them as class guys that they fit in so well while they were here.

The exhibition schedule has been released for the upcoming season.

Link

Interesting !!! First, I thought they would play more pre-season games ( i have missed many over the last 5 years so I dont remember how many they play) and 2nd, I thought they might play a game or two in places like Charlotte and Greenville, SC.

I really doubt they will play a regular season game in Charlotte. I know the Charlotte Mayor, Pat McCrory (sic) was asking about this.

Archived