Carolina Hurricanes

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really surprised that the "Carolina" Hurricanes don't use the exhibition season to branch out to other markets (included in the name of the team) and bring people in. Same with the "Carolina" Panthers. I saw the Bobcats are playing in the Dean Dome for a game - smart move. (I kinda like Bob Johnson and hope he does well.)

I saw the Bobcats are playing in the Dean Dome for a game - smart move. (I kinda like Bob Johnson and hope he does well.)

I don't see many people going to these games if tickets are above $5-10. Also, it looks as if Greenville's minor league hockey team is toast. The new owner (took over last week) of the Charlotte Checkers is a huge Hurricanes fan so there may be exhibition games there in the future.

That's too bad. They built a nice arena with that team slated as the major tenant. (Greenville, SC, that is).

I think there is a thread somwhere about the Bi-Lo Center (the arena you mention) and its future without a major tenant. I guess there is always arena football.

I don't see many people going to these games if tickets are above $5-10. Also, it looks as if Greenville's minor league hockey team is toast. The new owner (took over last week) of the Charlotte Checkers is a huge Hurricanes fan so there may be exhibition games there in the future.

I did not know that the Greenville Grrrrowllll will not play next year. I think it is good for the Hurricanes for all the minor league teams in the Carolina's to succeed, especially in a city like Greenville which is a pretty major economic factor in the 2 states. The Grrrrowll was a successful team back when it started in 1998. I did read that they could be back in Greenville the season after next.

On another subject, I was talking to a ticket salesman with the Canes about my season tickets next year. I asked if sales were good and he said "yes" ! He said there were many new season ticket holders and that past season ticket holders were buying up. (buying more seats or more games) My family and I, at one time, had 3 full season tickets and last year I was the only one who got tickets and I bought two 24 game tickets...... so I think many of the ST holders had been buying less for the last couple of years

I did ask if he thought they would sell out the season through ST sales and he said "no", but that ticket sales were very good. I did note that in Tampa Bay after they won the cup, all games sold out and had 104% capacity. That was a team that had struggled some before they won the cup.

BTW......If you are a ST holder in the past, you should get a 10% discount. Make sure it is in your invoice.

• 2 months later...

I went to the game and I have 2 words for anyone who will watch the Canes this year. Those 2 words are "Tim Gleason". (# 8) Watch him control the middle of the ice and how he does not get out of position. Now he is not going to run up and down the ice but he is as solid a defensemen as we have ever seen....and only 23. Also, watch him dig a puck out of the corner of the blue line and whip around and take the 30 ft shot in hopes of a tip or rebound.

After one game, I was so glad to see a real defensive guy who is a solid force on the ice I may have to go order his jersey.

Let's Go Canes !!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

i know ale house is like the official spot to watch canes games, but where is the downtown spot that people show up to watch? i can think of a couple good places but was wondering if people show up somewhere to watch the games. i ask this cause i'm moving downtown in december, been a huge fan for a couple years now, and would like to go watch the games with some fans, especially the away games. anyone?

i know ale house is like the official spot to watch canes games, but where is the downtown spot that people show up to watch? i can think of a couple good places but was wondering if people show up somewhere to watch the games. i ask this cause i'm moving downtown in december, been a huge fan for a couple years now, and would like to go watch the games with some fans, especially the away games. anyone?

If Cameron Village meets your definition of "downtown", the Village Draft House usually has a few fans, and is pretty busy every night of the week. Playmakers on Hillsborough is probably outisde of "downtown, but it is ITB... they have a lot of big screens, and are close to the RBC Center, but I don't know how well they draw.

Woody's City Market draws well for NFL on Sundays, so they probably are a good bet for hockey fans too.

Hi 5 is at the high end of sports bar, so you don't get the "average" fans the other two places get, which is either a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view.

I know Player's Retreat on Oberlin near Hillsborough has new managment and an increased sports focus (like this year's World Cup), but I don't know how they are for hockey.

Regular season will be hit or miss -- a lot of people will watch at home for away games except on the weekends.

I know that some people go to Woody's. I went to the Ale House on Hodge's street last night (was not a Cool's Bar Stop) and a few people were watching the game and a few others were just eating and looking up. The Canes got hammered by Tampa Bay !!!) Can't wait until Saturday night when Tampa comes to the RBC.

More and more people know about the games but to be honest, Raleigh/Triangle is not really a "go to the bar"type of place. Not when you have a McMansion, work 55 hours a week, and a big large plasma TV at home.

I put it like this. Can anyone see some guy in Cary who lives in a big house, drives a nice car, has two young kids and wife and has a big screen TV tell his family........"Get in the car, we are going down to the corner bar to watch the game". Not in the Triangle's bloodline. But a young person who is single and wants to get out of the house I can see, or a couple with no young kids. (unless it is a coolbar event)

Per the question, I really hope more places put the game on even if a lot of people don't sit and cheer and scream. It is always nice to go to a bigger city and always find the local game on.

^ agree with you on that. i was just wondering, cause raleigh may not be a "go to the bar" type of place, but i know i am. going to move downtown soon, so with the few places that show the game, its just so much fun to me to go out, have a few drinks, some food, and watch my team play. plus multiple TV's with more games at once is great.

went to playmakers last thurs, i've always thought they have a good setup. was able to watch the canes game, ACC football, world series (even though i dont follow it) and another hockey game. very cool. however more people came for football and they put the sound on for that, not the canes game.

it'll take awhile, and some more exciting playoff runs, for the fanbase to grow and get real solid. until then, i'll just walk to woody's, or wherever, and support

went to playmakers last thurs, i've always thought they have a good setup. was able to watch the canes game, ACC football, world series (even though i dont follow it) and another hockey game. very cool. however more people came for football and they put the sound on for that, not the canes game.

Archived