Carolina Hurricanes

^Good point, though he still didn't manage a full season of games. Cole is also one of those players whose value is much more than stats alone can define (grit and physical play, energy, speed, etc.). Also, I think his true breakout, all-star caliber season is still ahead. (Provided he can stay healthy.)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

N&O article about Canes to loose $4M.

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/565659.html

That sounds about right. I still think they may make more money with the arena deal that does not fall into their hockey revenue. But this is closley watched with the new CBA and Revenue sharing agreement so they can not hide as much as they have done in the past.

I guess I need to go. I need to defend the Hurricanes on the Hockey boards especially in Canada that the Canes are not leaving and that Raleigh is not a scene out of a Dukes of Hazzard movie.

The Winnipeggers will have this article posted in a matter of hours telling eveyone that the Canes are moving there. Watch the Canes message board today and I bet a days salary some Pegger will come on the board taunting Canes fans that they are loosing money and not a hockey market and the team should just move to a real hockey city like Winnipeg.

My issue was not with Cole this year, even though he did not play to his potential. My issue is with Eric Staal who was lazy, and lumbered around waiting for the puck to come to him. He makes more than Cole (I think)

I think they are just tired from last year. Can you imagine a team like the Islanders who did it 4 to 5 years in a row and they hit a lot more back then.

I think I'm worried more about the Thrashers' existence. They spent draft picks galore to stock up this team and got a whopping extra 2 home games out of it. I doubt that 1 single person in that market was converted to a hockey fan.

At least when we got down 3-0 to NJD in 2001, we had the decency to win a couple of games to force Game 6 (I'll never forget that 5:00 standing ovation in the 3rd - or Tanabe's pretty goal from just over the blue line)!!

My issue was not with Cole this year, even though he did not play to his potential. My issue is with Eric Staal who was lazy, and lumbered around waiting for the puck to come to him. He makes more than Cole (I think)

I think they are just tired from last year. Can you imagine a team like the Islanders who did it 4 to 5 years in a row and they hit a lot more back then.

• 2 weeks later...

There was an interesting article in today's N&O that indicates the Hurricanes are moving forward with their quest to host an NHL All-Star game.

N&O Article

What this also shows is that the Hurricanes have made a committment to this area, and have no intentions of moving their franchise anytime in the near future.

There was an interesting article in today's N&O that indicates the Hurricanes are moving forward with their quest to host an NHL All-Star game.

N&O Article

What this also shows is that the Hurricanes have made a committment to this area, and have no intentions of moving their franchise anytime in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

Nashville Preds are sold. They will be moved in 2 years (I say Waterloo). Not good for Sunbelt hockey. We need to support the Canes as this is scary.

Basille will not keep the team in Nashville....no way for $220M price tag. Not sure he can make that in Waterloo or whereever if he has to build an arena, which looks like it.

I bought my Canes tickets.....better buy yours !!!

Wow. Thanks for the heads up on this. ESPN's headline only mentioned "Preds" so I didn't see it. Here's a key from the article:

"The Predators finished third in the league standings this season with a franchise-record 110 points but averaged 13,815 in paid attendance.

"I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make it work here," said Leipold, who became emotional and had to pause at one point.

"We are one of the elite teams in this league, and we are by far the lowest-revenue team in the league," he said.

Balsillie, who withdrew a $175 million offer to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in December because of the league did not want him to relocate, did not attend the news conference. The co-CEO of Blackberry makers Research in Motion Ltd. said in a statement he is thrilled to have a chance to buy the Predators"

What does this mean to the City of Nashville and the taxpayers? The 1997 arena cost $144 million and was financed by City of Nashville bonds. Gaylord ponied up an $80million deal over 20 years, but terminated the deal in 2005. Last week the arena signed undisclosed naming rights deal to the Sommet group (suh-MAY).

I'm sure that the value of that deal just fell through the floor. If Gaylord paid an even $4M per year for 8 years, then there is a $112M shortfall on the arena's construction. Sounds like a bad deal to me. I'm sure that many in Nashville wish they had gotten the Vancouver Grizzlies (over Memphis) instead of going the NHL route.

• 4 weeks later...

Scott Walker got signed to a 3-year deal so it looks like the team will remain pretty much intact. I can see this healthy well-rested team making a push deep into the playoffs next year. They just need a little bolstering on the defense.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just posted the Canes '07-'08 schedule for importing to Outlook.

1) Dowload the file canes08_sched.txt

2) Open Outlook's Calendar section

3) Click File {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Import and Export

4) Select "Tab Separated Values (Windows)"

5) Browse for the file, and keep moving forward until the file is imported.

For safer importing, create a new Folder in the calendar where you'll put the Canes schedule. Import the .txt file to the folder you created, then copy or move the events all into your top level calendar, if you please.

PALM USERS: The events on the calendar must be in the top-level calendar as Palm ignores subcalendars and only syncs to the top-level calendar.

• 1 month later...

Here is the NHL's slideshow of the new uniforms.

I heard somewhere that they'll have a third/alternate jersey either later this year or for next season, black with a larger "flag on a stick" logo replacing the swirl/storm front and center. I like my CCM sweater, but I think the new ones will be good for the game.

Went to the first preseason game and Caniac Carnival. Good time. Team looks OK for having practiced 3 days. Recent 1st rounder Brendan Sutter will be a star one day for Canes. Plays good positional hockey although he was not a superstar or superstud in the game. You can tell he has the mind of a hockey player. Must be his genes (I think 7 people in his family have played in the NHL and he is next generation of the famous Sutter family.

Cole and Williams look good. Staal has a little rust on him but hopefully will break loose.

Archived