Carolina Hurricanes

Mayor Meeker just drew some good parallels to the Hurricanes at the start of the city council meeting. He just reminded the council the importance of capital expenditures and investments into the community such as the RBC Center. He mentioned how important it was to have the facility in place to have the Carolina Hurricanes here in Raleigh. He also added that the then-mayor had opposed the arena and the council still voted 5-3 to approve it.

Just think if we never got the arena built...who knows where Karmonos would have moved the Whalers to.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took RPD a while to block off any of Glenwood South last night. The crowd had taken over the intersection at Tucker by the time I got there around 11:30ish. Cars started turning around by Helios and then an unmarked cruiser blocked off the road at North Street. The Hibernian crowd even chanted "here come the cops" when about a dozen officers in t-shirts marched down from Jones Street.

I only stayed till 12:30, but saw a few street fires and a few roman candles go off above 510. I think the crowd was well behaved, with no property damage or arrests. It was fun to watch people prove that the trees along Glenwood South barely support an adult human's weight. If I can figure out how to get the pics off my camera phone, I'll post them here.

I had to take a shower to keep from watching the last few minutes, and removed the curse of me watching that has been in play during the finals and most of the playoffs.

From a Hurricanes message board....

"The Canes radio station announced there will be a city parade Wed. at noon on Hillsborough St. from St. Marys St. to the state capitol."

Update:

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?A...204&SecID=2

I'm a long time reader, but new to posting. The parade info is on the city's Web site if you're interested.

Swamped right now, but I got to go out to Glensood last night and posted a few pics at Raleighing. Crowd was a nice size. Definitely not Franklin St., but then again, there weren't 25,000 Hurricanes U. students across the street. We in the Triangle have a proponderance of citizens with jobs and not everyone can just go blow steam after the game. The highlight was seeing Barry Melrose and yelling,"We DID IT!" to him. Steve Levy was his usual jerk self.

Most impressive thing was Oiler fans in full garb out there congratulating Caniacs. Some other fans out there can learn a lot from them. Going to Parade #1 in a minute...

parade will begin at St. Mary's Street, track down Hillsborough Street and end at the State Capitol.

Players, coaches and the Stanley Cup will ride in convertibles. They will speak at the Capitol. Fans will get free ice cream.

In preparation for the parade, McDowell Street at Hillsborough Street and Salisbury Street at Hillsborough Street will be closed from Wednesday at 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Officials say people should get to Hillsborough Street by at least 11:45 a.m. to see the parade.

The parade will begin at St. Mary's Street, track down Hillsborough Street and end at the State Capitol.

Players, coaches and the Stanley Cup will ride in convertibles. They will speak at the Capitol. Fans will get free ice cream.

In preparation for the parade, McDowell Street at Hillsborough Street and Salisbury Street at Hillsborough Street will be closed from Wednesday at 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Officials say people should get to Hillsborough Street by at least 11:45 a.m. to see the parade.

I went tonight and it all came clear to me. Gale Force holdings wanted one more crack at selling us food and t-shirts. I think the City didn't want to handle something big like this downtown because it would have taken at least twice as many cops and parking would have been a problem in surrounding neighborhoods. It was a win-win in both Gale Force's eyes and the City for not having to deal with this directly. It sure would have been nice to be viewing those fireworks with the Capitol as a backdrop.

I couldn't get out of work till almost 7, and parking in the fairgrounds lot along Trinity was not too far from Blue Ridge. I don't know what parking was like at the Carter-Finley/RBC property itself, but am guessing it was full. A few cars parked outside the Wade Ave gate east of the on ramp.

Parking near the parade route is not good. There is only three decks nearby (behind Southend, and the two north of city hall) and those don't hold too many visitor cars. Having today's parade at noon will keep the numbers down to the point of being managable.

I know the RBC Center staff is probably going to be off for a couple of days catching their breath after all the work they've done in the last week.

The sight of the venerable Stanley Cup in the NC Legislature gave me the heebee geebees. Total greatness in a sea of NC legislative mediocrity.

So true! I saw on the news how some of these folks in the Legislature couldn't even pronounce the name of our head coach among others :shok:

We just won the Cup! It's the only thing we've EVER won in this state on the major league level.

It was well-intentioned but I thought it was pretty embarrassing, frankly. I was pleased that the city did what they could...wish it could have been more.

Canes fans have been wonderful all along though, and that's what the team will take with them for the rest of the summer.

Honestly, Meeker was a one-man show on this deal and you have to give him props for that. The rest of the council is/was pretty much useless. The amazing thing is that Laviolette pretty much upstaged every NC political "dignitary"-maybe he should run for governor.

I was out at the RBC center party and stood where they walked from the parking lot to the stage area once they got out of the cars. There stood some politcal dignitaries like Basnight. They were in the prime location that only special passes get you and get them noticed and a handshake.

The canes players just walked on by and looked at the fans on the other side. They did not even know who they were.

I like the fact that they went to the Legislative building but I hope everyone there did not feel the need to talk on the mike and get on camera. I heard a couple of people and take it, they were old southerners, but it did not sound good. One guy called the puck, a "ball".

Oh well, it is over, the canes won and I can replenish my bank account until season tickets bills are due in 4 weeks.

Honestly, Meeker was a one-man show on this deal and you have to give him props for that. The rest of the council is/was pretty much useless. The amazing thing is that Laviolette pretty much upstaged every NC political "dignitary"-maybe he should run for governor.

If you read between the lines of what Meeker was saying and I have said this many times to deaf ears. That if it not for some smart people on both sides of the aisle, the Canes would not be here. The Mayors of the 90s voted down everything including the Hotels meals tax and using it for things like the arena. That was their lighting rod until they realized many NCSU fans and pro sport fans would be against them.

Meeker was quitely reminding people that decisions that are made today, effect tomorrow. Not to say all that is being done is the right thing, but that it takes vision and that is something that our mayors of the 90s did not have.

He has to love the fact that the mayor (forgot his name now--Fetzers right hand dude) was against the ESA/RBC and he voted for it as a CC person.

I agree with you. Fetzer, Coble, and Scruggs fought the RBC Center being built well as hard as they could. They DID want an arena, they just wanted it to be on the level of the LJVM in Winston-Salem - very utilitarian. I thought that Meeker did a very good job of beating his chest and saying "I told you so" with class and dignity.

It's amazing that just 7 years in its lifetime, the RBC Center is an important piece of Raleigh's history as well as NHL lore. It is already a far more important building than the 40-year old Carter-Finley Stadium.

The canes players just walked on by and looked at the fans on the other side. They did not even know who they were... One guy called the puck, a "ball".
:rofl:

Meeker was quitely reminding people that decisions that are made today, effect tomorrow. Not to say all that is being done is the right thing, but that it takes vision and that is something that our mayors of the 90s did not have.

Good point, and I have always thought that (minus his lack of leadership on transit) he has done well to go after his vision for DT and the city when others wanted to stay safe and be cautious. I hope the Convention Center (another of "his" projects), Plensa, etc. goes as well as expected.

Archived