Progress Energy III (aka "Block B")

ChiefJoJo

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Progress Energy has found a developer for the block north of P.E. II. They're going with the same developer of the Dawson on Morgan. It is supposed to include high-rise condos, retail, and a grocery store. Story can be read here:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1193420/ :yahoo:

Is it just me, or do you guys see another "canyon" forming on Wilmington St.

This is great news! I remember there being some interest from national developers for this project. Was this a missed opportunity to bring in one of those firms? I surely don't know, but was interested in the views of some of you who know more than I.

On another note, It's becoming harder and harder to keep track of all the new projects around Raleigh. I think someone had a pretty detailed web site with up and coming developments. Can anybody help with that URL? Thanks!

Since I haven't seen any of the proposals I'll hold final judgement, but right now I definitely feel disappionted at not getting Ghazi or Hines. What a missed opportunity. What we need DT is someone to think outside the box. Be bold in design and concept. Considering the portfolios of these two companies compared to Hamilton Merritt, I can't imagine what got Progress Energy all excited. Let's hope we're all excited when we see the proposal.

Since I haven't seen any of the proposals I'll hold final judgement, but right now I definitely feel disappionted at not getting Ghazi or Hines. What a missed opportunity. What we need DT is someone to think outside the box. Be bold in design and concept. Considering the portfolios of these two companies compared to Hamilton Merritt, I can't imagine what got Progress Energy all excited. Let's hope we're all excited when we see the proposal.

N&O article on PE's selection of Hamilton Merritt.

He's [sandreuter] still trying to figure out what that special thing will be. But possibilities include:

* Offices for a corporate headquarters -- perhaps a tower that would rise as high as downtown's tallest buildings.

* Dozens of condominiums or apartments. How many would depend on housing demand and interest rates.

* A grocery store and other services.

* Ground-floor restaurants, shops, nightclubs, galleries and perhaps a small movie theater.

* Hotel rooms, possibly sprinkled in with homes or offices.

"Our intent is certainly to move forward with Gregg," said Progress spokesman Mike Hughes. "All the developers have done some incredible work. But the vision he articulated for that area is reflective of our own. And we believe that it is in line with what the city wants."

Sandreuter hopes to submit site plans to the city this summer. If the approval process goes smoothly, construction could begin early next year. It would take about three years to build.

:yahoo:

That actually means this could move forward VERY quickly for a development this large. For those that are upset about Ghazi or Hines not being selected... nobody knows what they are proposing--maybe Sandreuter's was the boldest vision. He is including the possibility of a skyscraper on that site--some of the others did not include that in their proposals, so skyline enthusiasts should be happy.

N&O article on PE's selection of Hamilton Merritt.

He's [sandreuter] still trying to figure out what that special thing will be. But possibilities include:

* Offices for a corporate headquarters -- perhaps a tower that would rise as high as downtown's tallest buildings.

* Dozens of condominiums or apartments. How many would depend on housing demand and interest rates.

* A grocery store and other services.

* Ground-floor restaurants, shops, nightclubs, galleries and perhaps a small movie theater.

* Hotel rooms, possibly sprinkled in with homes or offices.

"Our intent is certainly to move forward with Gregg," said Progress spokesman Mike Hughes. "All the developers have done some incredible work. But the vision he articulated for that area is reflective of our own. And we believe that it is in line with what the city wants."

Sandreuter hopes to submit site plans to the city this summer. If the approval process goes smoothly, construction could begin early next year. It would take about three years to build.

:yahoo:

That actually means this could move forward VERY quickly for a development this large. For those that are upset about Ghazi or Hines not being selected... nobody knows what they are proposing--maybe Sandreuter's was the boldest vision. He is including the possibility of a skyscraper on that site--some of the others did not include that in their proposals, so skyline enthusiasts should be happy.

PE has also reserved the right to go with one of the other developers if Hamilton Merritt does not deliver the goods.

I don't see why they couldn't develop a proposal that includes everything in the wish list. But the budget will determine how much can be included. The hotel, office, apartments, and condos is a no-brainer for the project. The mix of shops, restaurants, movie theater, and grocery store could be combined -- i.e. a Whole Foods-like deli/cafe off the grocery store or a restaurant/store like Black Dog cafe used to have in City Market or every Cracker Barrel location. An urban Cracker Barrel would fit the "new" downtown Raleigh quite well, though it would be a couple of miles from I-40.

It would be nice if this opened in pieces, instead of having to wait three years for the whole block to be finished at once.

If the house on Martin is the one I think it is (corner of Martin and Chavis Way), it is only a few years old, not rennovated. Also you don't need to spring for pit bull chow to live there either. There is more foot traffic than usual, but there is a somewhat active neighborhood watch. I don't have an active block captain over there now, but am working on it.

There is a townhouse for rent on Hargett Street near the greenway and city cemtary, but I don't know what they want for it.

No one has taken me up on the east side/affordable housing tour yet. I don't know if people want to live downtown, or are looking on their own...

I think Sandreuter should be given a chance. After all, he was pioneer with the powerhouse square project.

I would expect the proposal will be pretty heavy on office space. I think that was the main requirement that Progress was looking for. The rumor is that there are several other corporations looking at Raleigh for a HQ, but there isn't enough contiguous office space available. Ultimately, market studies will dictate what and how much of everything goes in, but I would love to see a hotel there.

Others in here seem to be down on them, but I'd love to see a Hampton Inn type chain downtown as an alternative to the higher priced Sheraton, Marriot, and the proposed boutique hotels. Columbia has a downtown Hampton Inn that I think is quite nice, and I think it would fill a void in the market here. Additionally, for the convention center to be viable, we'll need a lot more hotel rooms downtown and pronto.

• 2 weeks later...

Many ideas have been floating around about what to put on the downtown Raleigh block due north of the newest Progress Energy building. Some of the most popular ideas include another condo bldg., apartments, an office tower, retail shops, or mixed use. Since this is one of the last prime chunks of contiguous space remaining downtown, I say that we make good use of it and think big and bold.

What are some ideas for development of this site that will make Raleigh stand out and take the city's downtown to a new level (out-of-the-box thinking encouraged)?

"It's up to us to do something bold," Sandreuter said. "We want to create something that is a destination -- a spot where people from all over the Triangle can say, 'Let's go to that special thing.' "

Bold could mean out-of-the-box or it could mean a full-service community on one block... prominent office tower, service retail, hotel, restaurants, bars, grocery, condos/apartments, movies, clothing store, etc. All those have been mentioned, so to me it would be bold to create...

A development of unique urban architectural style and form (something unseen in the Triangle thus far--sorry JDavis) with sustainable design elements (LEED) that would serve all the inhabitants of that and surrounding blocks, so residents could walk for most daily trips. What if Sandreuter could attract a cool software or biotech company or an international architecture firm--something that along with the development's design, would be very bold indeed. What if he built a new Westin or some other high-end hotel chain? Can you imagine if he could do all of the above in one project? I think that would be VERY bold.

the whole block wrapped one unit deep in condos/apartments, 4 stories tall and old looking, like the existing buildings on Wilmington, neo-industrial or mill replica with a tall thin iconic tower sitting on top of the parking deck in the center...30 or so stories and thin, like Reynolds proposal, plus commercial spaces under the condos/apartments around the whole block....a "green" alley will connect to Wolf St coming out of City Market with european gas lamps and coblestones being part of a restaurant area (part of the comercial first floor) facing Blount with a grassy courtyard ala the rear of the Montegue Bldg...these restaurants would have patios looking out into this courtyard and the condos would have balconies facing inward also.....the tower would be lit up at night with a nice round spire for all to admire from within the development and and beyond....the area would bustle during the day and be pleasant but active at night. Restaurant space facing out to the main streets would have french doors tha could be thrown open in nice weather (like Porters). The main pedestrian entrance to the tower would face Wilmington St, slightly recessed from the main sidewalk so a large piece of metallic abstract art sould be placed in front....vehicle access would be from Davie and Martin, mid block......

Livable Streets says there will be two 30-story towers in this spot.

Progress Plaza

RFP Process results in Hamilton Merritt proposal being accepted - Mixed use hotel, movie theatre, condominiums, parking deck two 30-story towers - development agreement pending.

Mike Hughes

Progress Energy

(919) 546-6189

I don't want to be a grinch, but nobody has approved anything yet. There isn't even a development agreement between Hamilton Merritt and PE yet. At this point HM's plans are probably no more than a sketch plan with a few renderings at best--a description of the "Hamilton Merritt vision" for this space. That, along with PE's previous relationship with HM, got them the deal.

What actually gets built there will hinge on the marketplace (in the next 2-3 years) for condos/hotels/apartments, and more importantly, the market for a large corporate relocation that would require contiguous office space to fill a new 30-story tower.

I am truly wondering if there will be a big corporate movement-this group would have never even thought of proposing two towers without knowledge of something going on. I really believe from these developments that there may be a Progress/Southern merger with HQs in Raleigh-just a gut level feeling.

^ Southern Co is much bigger, no? I can't imagine a scenario where they'd move the HQ to Raleigh over Atlanta.

The larger question... Sandreuter's a smart guy. He must have some pretty good contacts in business (I think he's a Harvard MBA grad) who may have in fact given some indication of interest in large office space in DTR. RBC Tower, Reynolds and Site 1 will all have some large sections of office space coming online from 2008 - 2009, but with the local ecomony growing strong, maybe there will be a need for more by 2010 - 2011.

Southern is larger but I don't think that disqualifies a move of the HQs. I think overall operating costs play into the equation and there are instances where mergers are approved with the understanding that HQs will either move or stay (depending on the wills of top brass). I don't think this deal would be an outright purchase by Southern and may even go the other way. Personally I don't trust TBJ stories as they are usually incorrect and this deal was originally reported there so I don't know...

Archived