Progress Energy III (aka "Block B")

ChiefJoJo

The gas station at Blount/Davie could be why Cherokee is on board. The parking lot has probably been there since that was torn down. Does anyone know what the mid-block building that fronts Blount was used for? I've never seen anything go in or out of there.

I saw the middle of the building was torn down, but the Blount end was still standing on Saturday.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raleigh_1914_Dec._1950_vol._1_2C_1914_Nov._1950_2C_Sheet_25.pdf

The gas station at Blount/Davie could be why Cherokee is on board. The parking lot has probably been there since that was torn down. Does anyone know what the mid-block building that fronts Blount was used for? I've never seen anything go in or out of there.

I saw the middle of the building was torn down, but the Blount end was still standing on Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! We watched them tear some of that building up as we were wandering out. We got there after that little incident though. That's pretty insane. Glad I parked on F Street!

Have the stated anything as far as timeline for groundbreaking, etc on the buildings for this block? We _just_ moved to DT but I already wish that I could fast-forward 2 years to see how it turns out! Move theater would be spectacular. At this rate all I really want is a grocery store with extended hours.

No, I don't think the parking deck will encompass the entire site. I believe it will be located mid-block, and the plan before was for the deck to face one street with retail on the ground floor of that frontage. The old plan faced Martin St--but I think that arrangement may have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Why has the city's historical commission been more vocal over preserving the buildings that should be saved? Are they asleep at the wheel, or have they been ignored?

They have moved quick to clear out the block to get the parking structure built in time for RBC Plaza's opening. It seems Progress Energy and its partners plans haven't been formally announced yet since they may still be trying to acquire the holdout parcels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived