Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

^Is that area really that dangerous? It doesn't look like an area that you would want to bring kids into, but it doesn't seem that bad either, if you know what I mean.

It's on the "fringe" of downtown, and is surrounded by ghetto. It's not like neighborhoods in downtown New Orleans, because it's not as dense, but you'd have to actually walk around that area to get a feel for it. There are ghettos on 2 sides of this part of downtown, and even some little shanty houses just down the hill from this building.

It's on the "fringe" of downtown, and is surrounded by ghetto. It's not like neighborhoods in downtown New Orleans, because it's not as dense, but you'd have to actually walk around that area to get a feel for it. There are ghettos on 2 sides of this part of downtown, and even some little shanty houses just down the hill from this building.

I gotcha, and know exactly what type of area you're talking about. It's one of those "ghetto edge" 'hoods that's hit or miss in terms of going in and expecting crime problems. At least that's what I would think from looking at it and your description.

I gotcha, and know exactly what type of area you're talking about. It's one of those "ghetto edge" 'hoods that's hit or miss in terms of going in and expecting crime problems. At least that's what I would think from looking at it and your description.

Exactly. Today seemed like a good day, but once I got to walking around I realized it wasn't actually a good day. But yes, it's a "hit or miss" area... not like the downtown neighborhood of Allendale where every day is a bad day!

Exactly. Today seemed like a good day, but once I got to walking around I realized it wasn't actually a good day. But yes, it's a "hit or miss" area... not like the downtown neighborhood of Allendale where every day is a bad day!

The first time I heard of Allendale was when I was a teenager hanging out in the 17th ward in New Orleans.(Sorry to keep bringing up the "old days") And from everything I've heard, it's not a place you want to walk around when you're carrying a $1000 camera! ;)

The first time I heard of Allendale was when I was a teenager hanging out in the 17th ward in New Orleans.(Sorry to keep bringing up the "old days") And from everything I've heard, it's not a place you want to walk around when you're carrying a $1000 camera! ;)

I wouldn't walk around it, period. You know the Jackson Heights Projects photos I've posted? That's in Allendale/Ledbetter Heights. I took those photos from inside my car, and the projects were empty when I did that. I never drove through there when people were actually living there. Too many bad stories on the news in that area, night after night.

I wouldn't walk around it, period. You know the Jackson Heights Projects photos I've posted? That's in Allendale/Ledbetter Heights. I took those photos from inside my car, and the projects were empty when I did that. I never drove through there when people were actually living there. Too many bad stories on the news in that area, night after night.

Yea, I remember seeing those photos, and I've heard about the Jackson Heights Projets many many times around here. Not an area you'll see me in anytime soon, from what I've heard and seen of it.

:lol: That sign is for the original Tropical Isle on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans. I live about 15 seconds from there. I'm actually good friends with the owners of Tropical Isle, home of the world famous Hand Grenade! :D

:lol: That sign is for the original Tropical Isle on the corner of Bourbon and Orleans. I live about 15 seconds from there. I'm actually good friends with the owners of Tropical Isle, home of the world famous Hand Grenade! :D

Hand Grenade... never had one of those, but sounds like something I'd try! :lol:

Shreve Memorial Library System, downtown (main) branch. This building was constructed in 1911 as a courthouse and post office. While the Shreve Memorial Library System has been in existence since the 1920s, it's only been in this building since the 1970s. Its original building is now being used as the offices for the Northwest Louisiana Chapter of the United Way and the Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce.

165102746.jpg

165106761.jpg

165106799.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Nice pics guys. I'm trying once again to catch back up over here. First vacation then internet problems. Although at least my computer didn't crash on my like Nate. By the way Brain I had no idea you were also planning on a shutter remote as well. What else you planning on getting?

Nice pics guys. I'm trying once again to catch back up over here. First vacation then internet problems. Although at least my computer didn't crash on my like Nate. By the way Brain I had no idea you were also planning on a shutter remote as well. What else you planning on getting?

Yeah, when I was taking pictures of fireworks, there was a photographer parked next to me and I talked to him a bit. He let me try out his shutter switch and I loved it... had to have it. So I bought one.

Right now, not planning on getting anything else. Maybe a bag for my tripod. But as far as camera equipment, all I've really thought about getting is maybe another lens or two, but I don't think I'll do that for a while.

By the way, the shutter switch for the Rebel XT is only $30, so it's really cheap and extremely useful. I love it!

Yeah, when I was taking pictures of fireworks, there was a photographer parked next to me and I talked to him a bit. He let me try out his shutter switch and I loved it... had to have it. So I bought one.

Right now, not planning on getting anything else. Maybe a bag for my tripod. But as far as camera equipment, all I've really thought about getting is maybe another lens or two, but I don't think I'll do that for a while.

By the way, the shutter switch for the Rebel XT is only $30, so it's really cheap and extremely useful. I love it!

Yeah I've come to realize that one really could come in handy. Even on a tripod, if you're zoomed in on something just clicking the button can cause a little bit of motion on the tripod to keep from getting a really nice sharp image. I also like the fact that they also tend to allow you a longer option in leaving your shutter open. It seems like most digital cameras have limits set around 15 to 30 seconds. Mine only goes up to 15 seconds. I've been in some really dark areas where that just isn't long enough to get a good exposure.

I know this isn't urban or anything, but check out my desktop. I took this photo no more than an hour ago when I went outside to turn off the lawn sprinkler. there's a slight bit of blurring on one of the petals in the foreground (middle-left,) but other than that, this is one of my best yet.

165320459.jpg

^Wow, that looks great man! The color's alone look very vivid and great. Even if there is a bit of blurring, it's bright and clear enough to where the whole thing looks great anyway. Another great photo there, Brian! :thumbsup:

^Wow, that looks great man! The color's alone look very vivid and great. Even if there is a bit of blurring, it's bright and clear enough to where the whole thing looks great anyway. Another great photo there, Brian! :thumbsup:

Thanks, man! It's all about experimenting for me right now. Any photo-op I see, I try to take it.

Thanks, man! It's all about experimenting for me right now. Any photo-op I see, I try to take it.

Oh same here. I can't stand seeing an easy photo-op, not taking it, and later regretting not taking it because I know it might have been a great photo. That, and I'm still experimenting with settings and whatnot.

Oh same here. I can't stand seeing an easy photo-op, not taking it, and later regretting not taking it because I know it might have been a great photo. That, and I'm still experimenting with settings and whatnot.

You're going to be a mad man when you get your Rebel, I can see it now. :lol:

You and Rod both...