Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

These two pictures are good examples to show the effects of coastal erosion in southern Louisiana.

These pictures are of Trinity Island, an 8 mile long island part of the Last Island or Isle Derniere island chain.

Both pictures were taken from about the same location.

I took this picture in June of 2006.

347483691_c6a03f01db_o.jpg

I took this picture on June 10,2007

541701695_7fa9ec0660_o.jpg

I noticed that the island was narrower and had a large channel running through it, which cut the island in two.

Wow thanks once again lasportsman for some great La. pics :thumbsup: Sad to see the islands breaking up. The Hurricanes battered all those barrier islands. + erosion and rising sea levels. The Chandeleurs sp? got smashed by Katrina; even storms that by-passed La. Ivan, Dennis, Emily, etc had an effect.

It really was amazing to see what Katrina did to our coast. Katrina caued so much destruction further inland that we all seem to forget the impact it had on our coast...especially our state government. <_<

The historic Gallier Hall in downtown New Orleans, which served as New Orleans' city hall during the Civil War:

542992162_d7981a1bd6_b.jpg

467439849_325c538476_b.jpg

Looking north from the RiverCenter parking garage along St.Louis Street in the southern end of downtown BR.

This pic's scenery will be changing in the coming months with the addition of the new 19th Judicial Courthouse starting in a couple weeks; and Two City Plaza (August):shades:

chasefi0.jpg

Edited by richyb83

Thanks IC, I appreciate that :thumbsup: It's been said by many that Baton Rouge is one of the "greenest" cities around. We really need all the trees acting as a "filter" with all of the heavy industry along the Mississippi River.

I'm just looking forward to the downtown urban core growing into a city BR's size and becoming more dense. Too many nice offices/hotels spread across the city.

Wow, excellent shot, Richy! I love all the greenery! :thumbsup:

Here's a shot of Royal Street in the French Quarter, looking towards the CBD. I really like this one because of the different sky colors I was able to get. Thanks, polarizer! ;)

544325545_c1428bb427_b.jpg

Here's a shot of Royal Street in the French Quarter, looking towards the CBD. I really like this one because of the different sky colors I was able to get. Thanks, polarizer! ;)

Beautiful, One of my favorites shots NCB, the contrast between the old and new is so interesting.

Nice work, Richy! Love the perspective. Nice bridge in the background!

Wow, excellent shot, Richy! I love all the greenery! :thumbsup:

I love the way the sky looks in that shot. Makes me wish the skies in Atlanta looked that way right now--they've been cloudy (not much rain, sadly) and dusty for the last couple of weeks. It just doesn't look very good in photos. Love the way the city looks from the shot as well.

Richy- That's a view of downtown Baton Rouge that I've never seen before, thanks! Though it looks like the block at the lower-left corner of the photo could use some work. Anything goin on there?

fla_tiger- Thanks! I agree that the contrast between the old and the new is just amazing. I've always loved walking towards the CBD in the Quarter, especially on Royal, Bourbon, and Dauphine. :thumbsup:

IC- Thanks again! I'm sure you'll be seeing those nice blue skies over in Atlanta soon enough. :)

^It's supposed to be pretty grey and rainy here later in the week, so maybe out blue skies will head your way! ;)

I hear a cold front is headed our way here in Atlanta as well. It's supposed to be coming through on Tuesday. Perhaps it will help bring some relief to this drought.

On a side note, I've got some pictures of a state park in Georgia that I visited, so be on the lookout for them. (I'll be going to Washington DC as well on Tuesday, so I'll take some pictures there as well).

On a side note, I've got some pictures of a state park in Georgia that I visited, so be on the lookout for them. (I'll be going to Washington DC as well on Tuesday, so I'll take some pictures there as well).

Oh, I'm jealous! I absolutely love D.C. Outside of New Orleans, it's the only American city I know like the back of my hand. I've been there more times than I can count...but not this summer it seems. Have a good time, and I'll certainly be looking for your photos!

Thanks alot.....Have fun and be safe IC, look forward to seeing the state park and DC pics :thumbsup:

Thanks Nate, glad you liked the pic. Yeah thats a small vacant/open tract where the land actually slants back up in elevation; it's just off the pic. It ends up being overflow parking most of the time. That section of the block is at the corner of St.Phllip's Street at Government St. I have always thought that section had/has potential.

Get on that Nate, give em' some ideas on what might work there. ;)