Upstate seccession

mcashlv

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upstate should secede from South Carolina, with Greenville as the capital. Divorce from the rest of the mostly underproductive state. Encourage Charlotte, Raleigh, and Durham to do likewise and join together into New Carolina.

Seems like you simply want the Upstate to secede to NC.

Charlotte and the Triangle are doing just fine in NC and have little to no need for the Upstate to hook up with them, much less go through the political wranglings and headaches of secession. How about we move this thread to the Southern USA forum so the North Carolinians can get a laugh out of it... :rofl:

Hey, I'm all for starting a new state. It would be small in land area, but powerful due to its location (we would still be close to Atlanta and Charlotte) and economic standing. Including Asheville would be something to consider, to balance out the political landscape a bit, but there is no way we should let them be the capital! Greenville is much more qualified IMO.

The only thing I would miss is not having state access to the sea (and more importantly, a port). I think we could manage, though. :thumbsup:

Well, it can't be called New Carolina as 'NC' is already taken. West Carolina would be more appropriate. But then, do we really want our letters to be W.C. ?? I think not.

Why not start a new capital city on the old state line?

Hmmmm, a masterplanned city... totally from scratch... I kind of like the idea.

I wonder how the remaining part of South Carolina would fair....? I say "not good". The upstate is the Economic Engine... and the Low Country certainly is not known for its schools... I don't think that the state of SC would be as excited to get rid of us as you might think! :shades:

I wonder how the remaining part of South Carolina would fair....? I say "not good". The upstate is the Economic Engine... and the Low Country certainly is not known for its schools... I don't think that the state of SC would be as excited to get rid of us as you might think! :shades:

I tend to agree. The Upstate is, after all, the economic engine that powers the rest of the state

I wonder...if the Upstate were to secede, would Christian Exodus still be interested in South Carolina, or just the new state ("Western Carolina," "New Carolina") exclusively? Would it actually be a matter of "mission accomplished"? Makes one wonder...

The would be intereted in the old state. IF we cut off the upstate, that would lower the population density for the rest of the state. That would make it easier for them to get their members in office and their legislation passed.

I'd love to cut off the upstate from the rest of South Carolina then the rest of us wouldn't have to listen to Mike Fair any more. I'd have no problem saying good bye.

If the Upstate were to become a separate state, I'd leave immediately. It would become even more of a conservative stronghold, and that would make the community self-limiting on both an economic and a social level. I don't foresee Greenville and Asheville cooperating with each other. I see Greenville as an anomaly--most of the "good" places to live are more socially liberal and more costly. It may be that Greenville will become both (and I wouldn't be sad to see the social climate become more relaxed, anyway).

If the Upstate were to become a separate state, I'd leave immediately. It would become even more of a conservative stronghold, and that would make the community self-limiting on both an economic and a social level. I don't foresee Greenville and Asheville cooperating with each other. I see Greenville as an anomaly--most of the "good" places to live are more socially liberal and more costly. It may be that Greenville will become both (and I wouldn't be sad to see the social climate become more relaxed, anyway).

Conservatism is limiting on an economic level? That's news to me....

Conservatism is limiting on an economic level? That's news to me....

I said "self-limiting." My belief is that Upstates's religious conservatives "themselves," (such as the Mike Fairs and Scott Cases who populate the government hereabouts) would become quite aggressive in "limiting" the types of businesses that become established here.

I envisioned a "Heritage USA" scenario (which made me chuckle, actually).

Generally speaking, conservatives are more pro-business and pro-capitalism than liberals. Conservatives want free markets, which big businesses like, while liberals want more government interference into the corporate world. So why would conservative lawmakers in a city hinder businesses from wanting to locate there?

The only thing hindering Greenville, and moreso the state of SC, is a workforce that is lacking in education. Perhaps that is partly true, but part of it I think is the stereotype that people from the South aren't as intelligent as those from the north or west. I think this issue is especially concerning in the case of knowledge-based jobs. That is changing in SC, however.

The would be intereted in the old state. IF we cut off the upstate, that would lower the population density for the rest of the state. That would make it easier for them to get their members in office and their legislation passed.

I doubt it. CE isn't thinking in terms of low population densities; if so, the group would have headed for New England or Montana or Wyoming. The socio-political climate of the Upstate is the most compatible (of all the regions of the state) with the views of the group, so I don't see why they would be interested in SC sans the Upstate. The group's initial efforts aren't aimed at the Upstate arbitrarily. If anything, it would make it that much easier to get legislation passed with fewer residents in a new state that would probably pose little to no opposition to its views.

The only thing hindering Greenville, and moreso the state of SC, is a workforce that is lacking in education. Perhaps that is partly true, but part of it I think is the stereotype that people from the South aren't as intelligent as those from the north or west. I think this issue is especially concerning in the case of knowledge-based jobs. That is changing in SC, however.

Thank God. It couldn't have happened soon enough.

Seems like you simply want the Upstate to secede to NC.

Charlotte and the Triangle are doing just fine in NC and have little to no need for the Upstate to hook up with them, much less go through the political wranglings and headaches of secession. How about we move this thread to the Southern USA forum so the North Carolinians can get a laugh out of it... :rofl:

You labor under false assumptions. Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham are the economic engines of NC, much like the upstate is the economic engine of SC ( or a principal one, at least), and have little in common with the rest of the state. Whether Charlotte or Raleigh are "doing just fine" does not alter the fact that they would be better off not having to subsidize the poorer counties.

You labor under false assumptions. Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham are the economic engines of NC, much like the upstate is the economic engine of SC ( or a principal one, at least), and have little in common with the rest of the state. Whether Charlotte or Raleigh are "doing just fine" does not alter the fact that they would be better off not having to subsidize the poorer counties.

In which state is this NOT the case to some extent? Furthermore, if you mean that Charlotte and the Triangle have little in common with the rest of NC economically, I would agree with you--and to a much higher extent than the Upstate's relationship to SC. Charlotte has the 2nd and 4th largest banks in the U.S. located there and the Triangle has Research Triangle Park, which employs at least 40,000 easy. Economically, the Upstate cannot compare to this, so again, what benefits Charlotte and the Triangle here? Hey, while we're at it, why don't we also include Atlanta and Birmingham since they are the prominent economic generators of their respective states? That would certainly make for one funny looking state.

But hey, this IS all hypothetical, so carry on...

Archived