City Walk

vdogg

I don't think it will be a whole foods. They were in talks with divaris a few years back and things kinda fell apart. Divaris even specifically stated that whole foods was not the type of grocer they were looking for for that area (they wanted a standalone structure). They are still looking to enter the Pembroke market however, just probably not there. There will definitely a grocer of some type there though, and i'd bet my bottom dollar (pun intended) that it will be a farm fresh in the same vein as "The Market at Harbor Heights". No specific knowledge that this is the case, just an educated guess.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry but Bloom is still too closely attached to Food Lion to be credible and they haven't been around long enough to know if it is just a fad or not... I feel like I read an article stating that Farm Fresh wanted to do a similar store in Pembroke as there is in Harbor Heights though... I mean, the only stores in our market that could go there would be Harris Teeter (but they struggle) or Farm Fresh/the Market... Whole Foods is stubborn with their building choices so maybe where the K-Mart parking lot is or next to Ruby Tuesdays... Trader Joe's would be cool but they would likely fit into a ground level retail or something more along the lines of a traditional shopping center... I was in one in Fairfax today though :)

Today, my friend from Richmond said that Shokoe has a Farm Fresh, "The Market at Shokoe Bottom"...and to think we has a unique concept with the Market at Harbor Heights. :(

Trader Joe's are much smaller grocers than a typical grocery store. Are they not? They won't nearly fill in the space alotted in The Landing.

What I also find interesting as of the most recent trio of images from Mulvanny, granted they've been up for a while now, is that the first two are one site layout, and the last schematic is a different site plan with the Pawn shop property add and the Hanniford's (Sifen) property deleted. And, they there was another layout that vdogg posted a few pages back that has another layout including an additional tower and such. They're throwing out all the possiblities, aren't they? I can't wait to see a detailed rendering of these buildings and towers. There individual project work has exibited some very interesting tower designs!

Trader Joe's stores are 10,000 - 15,000 SF. Whole Foods stores are doubling in size from 25-30,000 to 55-60,000 SF. The space shown appears to be for a regular grocer. Food Lion has a store a block away. It could convert it to Bottom Dollar or close it and build a Bloom store at the Landing. Farm Fresh has stores at Collins Square (1.5 miles) and Haygood SC (2 miles). Doubtful for Farm Fresh but still a possibility given the traffic in Pembroke (kinda like the Starbucks model). Harris Teeter is down a ways at Little Neck but doubt they would open another store. Maybe Fresh Market will open a second VB location, but their stores run in 20-25,000 SF range. There's also Ukrop's. Would they jump over the Peninsula (2 stores in W'burg) for VB? I really think it will be a Whole Foods. I think they backed out more because it wasn't moving along as quickly as hoped. They backed out of Albemarle Place in Charlottesville (relocation) for a location across the street. Some of their stores are free standing while others are part of a shopping center or development.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

From Mulvanny's Website on "The Landing at Virginia Beach"-

Virginia Beach, Virginia - A colorful piazza, buzzing with cafes, street performers, and mingling neighbors is the heart and soul of this dense, well-scaled, six block residential and retail environment. A hotel, two beach facing condominiums, and structured parking are all part of the vision. With a commision from developer Greendale, LLC, we are programming, planning, and designing all phases of this beautiful, 12-acre waterfront project

http://www.mulvanny.com/en-us/Show/Portfol...x?ProjectID=116

The renderings are the same but the above text is new. So, are they moving the project to the oceanfront/bay or do they have the wrong text for the project?

Interesting...

*UPDATE*

From Mulvanny's Website on "The Landing at Virginia Beach"-

Virginia Beach, Virginia - A colorful piazza, buzzing with cafes, street performers, and mingling neighbors is the heart and soul of this dense, well-scaled, six block residential and retail environment. A hotel, two beach facing condominiums, and structured parking are all part of the vision. With a commision from developer Greendale, LLC, we are programming, planning, and designing all phases of this beautiful, 12-acre waterfront project

http://www.mulvanny.com/en-us/Show/Portfol...x?ProjectID=116

The renderings are the same but the above text is new. So, are they moving the project to the oceanfront/bay or do they have the wrong text for the project?

Interesting...

Maybe because there will be a water retention pond somewhere nearby...

I did like that Target for the Annapolis Town Center that they have up there though.

I think you guys are over thinking that. The person who wrote that was probably some idiot that works in marketing. They always try to make things sound bigger than what they are.

In theory all of VB is waterfront property because it is a waterfront city. Yeah, I am more worried about timelines and approvals for this project. I want to see it built.

Ughh, it doesn't sound good. Sounds to me that the project in the Pembroke area fell through. The city better go ahead and buy that land or we're gonna be looking at another soulless suburban strip mall. I wouldn't expect the buildings in the new location to be all that grand either, since it is at the Oceanfront, and height limits are 200ft.

Rudee Loop? It's 10 acres +/- whatever else they can grab. It's 5 or 6 blocks of area. City strategic plans call for hotels, condos, and restaurants. And the Resort Strip has been moved to the front burner with last weeks public forums and Dec 2007's charrette sessions. And as far as I can tell, Greendale at one point was going to merge with the Mills Corp (Potomac Mills, Arundel Mills, etc.).

This is pure speculation, but I think the City may have pushed the development to the strip because it was primarily retail and residential. I think the City really wants complete mixed-use (i.e. include office buildings) and encouraged Divaris to pursue that option once TC nears build out. If my speculation is ture, then at least the City is sticking to its visions for both areas.

The old HQ building is now occupied and in use... a company called ACS or something like that with a lightning bolt on its logo. Trucks come and go, the building is filled with pallets of boxes, warehouse fashion.

Its a foodbank or some kind of organization like that.

I think it was that during the holiday season... it was a Salvation Army depot. But this is new within the last couple of weeks and it looks more like an electronics-type logo on the sign.

could be a short term lease with the way the housing market is going, I wouldnt be surprised if this project got put on the backburners for a few years before reevaluating the market.

• 2 weeks later...

*Update*...again

The Project is again called Virginia Beach City Walk. The text removed the waterfront/beachfront wording, otherwise the same. BUT, a new colored pencil layout of the area is picture #3 in the renderings. Completly new layout. Unfortunatley, I don't see anything mention or resembling towers. Maybe just a slew of multistoried condos and retail below. Shows spot for specialty grocer, major anchor retail, and restaurant spots. Structured parking around ground retail, a plaza/park, and fountains in the median...though, I don't see a hotel label here.

What do you think?

http://www.mulvanny.com/en-us/Show/Portfol...px?ProjectID=55

(on the boards- Va Beach City walk)

Edit- On second thought, maybe the three parking sturctures in the drawing are below the two condo towers and a hotel tower and retail is shown to wrap around that. That looks feasible.

*Update*...again

The Project is again called Virginia Beach City Walk. The text removed the waterfront/beachfront wording, otherwise the same. BUT, a new colored pencil layout of the area is picture #3 in the renderings. Completly new layout. Unfortunatley, I don't see anything mention or resembling towers. Maybe just a slew of multistoried condos and retail below. Shows spot for specialty grocer, major anchor retail, and restaurant spots. Structured parking around ground retail, a plaza/park, and fountains in the median...though, I don't see a hotel label here.

What do you think?

http://www.mulvanny.com/en-us/Show/Portfol...px?ProjectID=55

(on the boards- Va Beach City walk)

I'm skeptical at the likelihood for this project, it's been a long time since anything of note with this project. Obviously the potential and results would be tremendous, i don't know without AH how far this goes in the next year or two...

Archived