Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

USC is looking for sponsors in the feul cell industry to light the events at baseball, basketball, and football games similar to what was done with the Colonial Center, also incentives to any start up feul cell companies wishing to move to the Columbia area!

USC is challenging fuel-cell industry leaders around the country to join an initiative to help make Columbia a world leader in fuel cells and other alternative energy applications.
The Research Authority is prepared to invest up to $200,000 in any start-up fuel-cell company or any established company moving to Columbia.

Hannum said what Columbia is doing is breaking new ground.
Edited by The_sandlapper

Well, it appears as though Olympia is getting some financial help from the city to the tune of $2 million over the next 3 years. Richland County is also expected to cough up another $2 million, and Olympia leaders say they hope to partner with USC and others to get another $2 million, bringing the total to $6 million. The money will go toward $6 million in projects, including constructing a park, cleaning up and restoring Rocky Branch stream, and creating loan programs to rehabilitate historic homes and older businesses.

322 Lady Street, which is the disjointed brick warehouse at the corner of Lady and Huger next to Trustus Theatre has an architectural design board sign in front of it. The property is for sale and someone is going before the board in April to request demolition and new construction at the site, according to the sign. I don't know if this means demolition of the whole building or just the out-of-sync portions. Who knows. I might take off work early and go to the meeting to see what they are proposing.

322 Lady Street, which is the disjointed brick warehouse at the corner of Lady and Huger next to Trustus Theatre has an architectural design board sign in front of it. The property is for sale and someone is going before the board in April to request demolition and new construction at the site, according to the sign. I don't know if this means demolition of the whole building or just the out-of-sync portions. Who knows. I might take off work early and go to the meeting to see what they are proposing.

Thanks for looking into this, CorgiMatt. I hope the latter (just demolishing the out-of-sync portions) will be the case. Columbia should NOT lose any more of its warehouses--that's what gives the Vista its unique feel.

I'm thrilled to hear Olympia will finally get it's much needed lift. However, this is an ideal opportunity to push through an annexation. The city should use this opportunity to do just that.

Yes, definitely, Olympia needs to be in the city limits; it's absurd that it's not.

• 2 weeks later...

I took one of my Sunday morning drives to the outskirts and back this morning. I chose the I-20 to Elgin and back corridor. Wow! There is a lot of new construction going on along the interstate out there. Very attractive houses (including some mansions), apartment complexes and business are being built out there. I like to ride out and turn around and pretend I have never been to Columbia. I watch the signs telling me how far it is to Columbia and pretend I'm sizing up the metro area and city as I start approaching and get into the outskirts. I can see why Lexington has moved to 2nd place in the Columbia area in rate of growth.

I like to ride out and turn around and pretend I have never been to Columbia. I watch the signs telling me how far it is to Columbia and pretend I'm sizing up the metro area and city as I start approaching and get into the outskirts. I can see why Lexington has moved to 2nd place in the Columbia area in rate of growth.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only weirdo that does this :thumbsup: (though i don't drive out of town first)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little piece of information... the rendering and signs for adesso are up in front of Adam's. The zoning signs have been placed and, I could be wrong about this, but I think adam's is closed and starting to move (don't quote me on that).

That is correct, Addams will be closed by the end of the school year and demolition of the block will begin shortly thereafter. I'm expecting the other businesses to close/move around the same time. I wonder what kind of retail will occupy the first level of Adesso?

They are. Addams had their sale signs in the window and move notices up. I wish that they could have reserved a spot in the Adesso building for their store. I aways liked the Addams location.

Also, I drove down Harden to check out the new fitness center, and I was mistaken about it not being well connected to the road.... the angle in the photo was somewhat decieving. I didn't realize that it wasn't taken from Harden.

Just a little piece of information... the rendering and signs for adesso are up in front of Adam's. The zoning signs have been placed and, I could be wrong about this, but I think adam's is closed and starting to move (don't quote me on that).

Also, a new sign is up at Canalside that says coming soon.