Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

That would be cool! I hope this does happen! The more residents the better for DT.

A synopsis of the article:

The Clarion hotel (325 Granby Street) has been sold to Eric Menden and

George Hranowskyj (Norfolk Property Development) who are the current

owners of the Wainwright building. The hotel will cease operations on

January 20th and the new owners plan to turn the hotel into 45

condominium units. The units will be about 3,000 square feet each and

will cost 300 to 450k. There will be two penthouse suites which will

go for $1M+.

The lobby of the hotel will be retail/dining with a restaurant and an

ice cream parlor mentioned as possible tenants leaving a third area

open for another tenant.

The general manager of the Sheraton (Waterside) is quoted as saying

that condominiums can offset the constructing cost of building a hotel

and that the Sheraton is in a great geographic location for such a concept

but there are NO plans for condos at the Sheraton. He did say that the

hotel rooms will be getting a makeover starting in November.

I have always liked the building. It should do very well as condos. The rooms would likely have to be gutted and redone in any event. As with many old hotels, the rooms are small. Each renovation has just piled sheetrock upon more sheetrock. I will be interested to see if there is much left of the original interior after they pull out the results of so many bad remodeling jobs. Architecturally, it is one of the better buildings on Granby Street and deserves better than its current lot.

that poor Clarion Hotel has taken a beating over the years, I am amazed it was never torn down. No hotel seemed to be able to survive there.

Wow, forget my idiot post, I was thinking of the ugly hotel that is north of the Scope.

I dont remember how the renovation went, but if it is bad that can only be blamed on cheap owners.

I always thought that St. Joe was a tree-farming and residential development company with holdings throughout the Florida panhandle. Apparently, they have an expanding commercial real estate portfolio. More importantly, they're buying properties outside of their traditional Florida and Atlanta markets. It appears they have buildings in Charlotte and one in Richmond. Considering their fairly concentrated holdings, one could assume that property purchases outside of their core markets signals high and/or growing office demand in the new markets. Even with the offices under construction in Downtown and the planned offices in Pembroke CBD, this just may be the beginning of a commercial space building boom.

Edited by hoobo

Even with the offices under construction in Downtown and the planned offices in Pembroke CBD, this just may be the beginning of a commercial space building boom.

Remember that there were people who wanted to build office towers on DT plaza but the city turned them down. For them to even be contemplating doing so before Trader is even finished signals to me that commercial demand is probably pretty high at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WHERE IS VDOGG AT ?!

I'm here. I'm on call today and have a lot of stuff to do so unfortunately I don't have as much time to check back as I wish. As soon as I get home these projects will be saved, tagged, threads merged, pinned, relabelled, etc. I've got a busy night tonight. It's kind of overwhelming, but in a good way. I can't wait to see tommorrows front page. I bet they'll do a photo spread of every project announced. Insanity!

I'm here. I'm on call today and have a lot of stuff to do so unfortunately I don't have as much time to check back as I wish. As soon as I get home these projects will be saved, tagged, threads merged, pinned, relabelled, etc. I've got a busy night tonight. It's kind of overwhelming, but in a good way. I can't wait to see tommorrows front page. I bet they'll do a photo spread of every project announced. Insanity!

Yeah, I might have to leave the paperboy a nice tip for tomorrow morning :lol: