Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

A very minor announcement, but The Robinson Development Group has a remodeled website. It has (outdated) information and some different renderings of Harbor Heights. It also has various information about other Hampton Roads projects like 150 West Main Tower in Norfolk.

I set that pic of 150 w main on my wallpaper.Unfortunatly these web sites update about every 6 months. WWW.humphreys.com still has the kotarides as a 5 story condo. :angry:

In last weeks design review docket I have spotted the following item of interest.

f. Newport Ave., The WaterMark; condo construction (preliminary) *

I have marked the location of this project with a pin and labelled it "The Watermark".

This image is to give an overall sense of the location of this project in relation to other projects in the Ocean

View area. Keep in mind that Newport ave. runs the length of that small peninsula from 33rd street to Mayflower road. Since I don't have an address for this project the location is not exact. On the 2nd image you will notice that I adjusted the location of the pin to the end of Newport ave where i believe the project is most likely to be located.

TheWatermark.jpg

TheWatermark2.jpg

This is the preliminary review so keep in mind that we may or may not hear something official on this project. We usually don't hear anything until it is presented to the planning commission. This project will likely be on next months docket.

interesting.. so you have no other info besides this so far? :huh:

That's all the info I have so far. It's usually the ones like that start like this though that turn out to be the good ones. :lol: I remember when I first reported on the hoffler building it was nothing more than a footnote in the docket just like this one and look what we have now. I'm sensing this may be a low to midrise project probably on similar lines as The Spectrum. We'll just have to see. I'll look for more info though.

It would appear that this has been in the works for quite some time. This was first presented to the commission for rezoning in 02

C-1 Letter from the City Manager presenting recommendation of the City Planning Commission on the application of City of Norfolk and WaterMark Development, LLC, for a text amendment and change of zoning on a 31-acre site located southeast of Pretty Lake Avenue.

Recommended Action: Authorize City Clerk to advertise for a public hearing on July 9, 2002.

and the again at the beginning of 2005

C-1

Letter from the City Manager presenting recommendation of the City Planning Commission on the application of the CITY OF NORFOLK AND WATERMARK, for a text amendment and change of zoning on a 31-acre site located southeast of Pretty Lake.

ACTION: City Clerk authorized to advertise for a public hearing on February 15, 2005.

It seems like zoning issues may have been holding this up. I'm extremely curious as to what this is now.

Hmm... I think this may be a different project but by the same company. The locations are not matching up for some reason.

Ok guys, it appears that the earlier meetings were for a marina, so it's probably not related to the current project.

02-V1406 - September 19, 2002: Proposal by Watermark Development, LLC, in care of Lyle Wermers, to hydraulically dredge approximately 8,074 cubic yards of material and to construct a series of open pile piers, gangways, and a gazebo in the development of a marina facility in Pretty Lake (Little Creek) in Norfolk, Virginia. Expiration date: October 19, 2002.

In last weeks design review docket I have spotted the following item of interest.

f. Newport Ave., The WaterMark; condo construction (preliminary) *

I have marked the location of this project with a pin and labelled it "The Watermark".

This image is to give an overall sense of the location of this project in relation to other projects in the Ocean

View area. Keep in mind that Newport ave. runs the length of that small peninsula from 33rd street to Mayflower road. Since I don't have an address for this project the location is not exact. On the 2nd image you will notice that I adjusted the location of the pin to the end of Newport ave where i believe the project is most likely to be located.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Newport ave. also runs parallel to Granby behind DePaul Hospital all the way from Kingsley Ln. to Little Creek Road. It runs behind Granby High and the old JCC. A condo complex would fit this density pattern much better. The spot you have marked is in Colonial Place. All of those houses are single family.

Just a speculation.

Newport ave. also runs parallel to Granby behind DePaul Hospital all the way from Kingsley Ln. to Little Creek Road. It runs behind Granby High and the old JCC. A condo complex would fit this density pattern much better. The spot you have marked is in Colonial Place. All of those houses are single family.

Just a speculation.

Aha, that makes more sense. Google earth isn't perfect you know. :lol:

Well it has to be by the water......remember they wanted to put a marina with it.

While the similarties are uncanny between this and the other documents I think that the marina may be referring to the project at taylors landing marina just across from Gadams project (hence the southeast of pretty lake reference). This project may be by the same people, but I am starting to believe it is not related to the other documents I posted above.

While the similarties are uncanny between this and the other documents I think that the marina may be referring to the project at taylors landing marina just across from Gadams project (hence the southeast of pretty lake reference). This project may be by the same people, but I am starting to believe it is not related to the other documents I posted above.

Ok.............I know there was a mentioning of redoing around the Wards Corner area and Newport runs right by there.....I'm wondering if this is one of the projects!

I think that this project may be the one that will be built next to Granby Elem. School. There is currently an old apartment complex there that will be torn down. I remember hearing about it some time ago. I'm sure someone has posted the article.

Edited by lil-bear

I saw what vdogg posted in projects 1.5 on the proposed HRT HQ and it got me thinking. Why can't Norfolk partner with someone for a new downtown library? Although it would be nice to have the library as civic art, it is hard to justify a 3-story structure when new buildings are over 20 stories. Why couldn't the HRT building be 3 or 4 stories higher with the city leasing floors for a library? As TCC expands, why can't the city partner with them on building a new library?

I saw what vdogg posted in projects 1.5 on the proposed HRT HQ and it got me thinking. Why can't Norfolk partner with someone for a new downtown library? Although it would be nice to have the library as civic art, it is hard to justify a 3-story structure when new buildings are over 20 stories. Why couldn't the HRT building be 3 or 4 stories higher with the city leasing floors for a library? As TCC expands, why can't the city partner with them on building a new library?

I guess you need to go and read some old posts cause the city and TCC are working to partner together for a library on the Greyhound site. The federal expansion has put a little damper on it. I guess they are waiting for the outcome from the GSA. :thumbsup:

I guess you need to go and read some old posts cause the city and TCC are working to partner together for a library on the Greyhound site. The federal expansion has put a little damper on it. I guess they are waiting for the outcome from the GSA. :thumbsup:

Oh, thanks dude. My bad. All I remember was some talk that if the fed court moves completely that the City would turn the fed courts building into a library. The HR forum has gotten way too big to keep track of everything.