Norfolk Development 2

vdogg

This is an expensive study and suggests that the City has a really knotty problem here and isn't at all sure what to do. They've recently made a significant investment in the jail expansion, so that's probably one anchor, although the present jail location sure kills some desireable options for the surrounding site. The low-rise courts buildings are going to be replaced, and the the existing City Hall building is a question mark. It was nice when it was new, although never a showplace. Now it looks dowdy and undersized. So you could free up some of the current civic center site for private development, but you still need some buffer for the jail complex. Then there's the question about the public housing, if, how and where to replace it. Better buildings do not make for wealthier people. Best to hire a consultant to take the blame for the ideas here. This is going to be a really interesting study, and public involvement will be crucial.

Was going through some old articles and it occured to me that the Spectrum at Willoughby Point was supposed to start construction in late 2005 or early 2006 (i.e. now). Has anyone seen any movement on this yet?

Negative. I cross the tunnel daily. It might be over the owner of the land getting in federal trouble and now the feds have locked the land down until the trial is over? Not sure why its being held up but you might want to email the developer on it

I received this via email and cannot find it to link from the Downtown Norfolk Council website.

Another GSA public hearing coming soon:

Proposed Courthouse Annex

Norfolk, Virginia

Notice of Intent to Prepare an

Environmental Assessment

The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) intends to prepare an Environmental Assessment (EA) to analyze the potential impacts from the construction of a proposed Courthouse Annex to the Walter E. Hoffman United States Courthouse in downtown Norfolk, Virginia. GSA will analyze the proposed action and no action alternatives for the proposed Courthouse Annex. As part of the EA, GSA will study the impacts of each alternative on the natural, cultural, and social environment.

The U.S. General Services Administration will be hosting a Public Scoping Meeting:

When:

January 10, 2006

6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Where:

Kirn Public Library

301 East City Hall Avenue

Norfolk, Virginia 23510

GSA will provide a brief presentation on the Courthouse Annex project and will then answer questions and accept comments.

Agencies and the public are encourage to provide written comments on the scoping issues in addition to or in lieu of giving their comments at the public scoping meeting. Written comments regarding the environmental analysis for the proposed Courthouse Annex must be postmarked no later than February 1, 2006, and sent to the following address:

U.S. General Services Administration

Attention: John Morrell

Project Manager

Mid-Atlantic Region 3

20 North Eighth Street, 9th Floor

Philadelphia, PA 19107

If you have questions or need special assistance, please contact:

The U.S. General Services Administration at (215) 446-4614 or [email protected].

Copyright

ur joking right? When the heck did that all happen and what was it about?

It wasn't too long after they announced the project. The paper said that it shouldn't impact it but I have a feeling it is. He was in the middle of selling the land. If someone could see if the land changed hands then we would know that this is not the hold up.

It wasn't too long after they announced the project. The paper said that it shouldn't impact it but I have a feeling it is. He was in the middle of selling the land. If someone could see if the land changed hands then we would know that this is not the hold up.

There's no problem with the project at all. The bid for "site demolition" is due on 1-10-06, so you probably won't see much activity for about a month.

I don't see it at Pilot On-line, but I read over the weekend that the Madison Hotel on Granby is going to be converted to a condo. There was some mention of a restaurant and perhaps some small amount of retail also, if I am remembering correctly.

Was it in Saturdays or Sundays paper? I don't remember seeing it.

I have no clue where this is or what this entails so don't get too excited yet but I found this on the design review committee docket for this week.

"4. Private Project

a. Noell Development, Commander Corporate Center; new construction of two office buildings (preliminary review) *"

could be an office park, could be DT, we'll just have to wait and see. Of course I hope for the latter.

I have no clue where this is or what this entails so don't get too excited yet but I found this on the design review committee docket for this week.

"4. Private Project

a. Noell Development, Commander Corporate Center; new construction of two office buildings (preliminary review) *"

could be an office park, could be DT, we'll just have to wait and see. Of course I hope for the latter.

I have a feeling its near the airport

The words "corporate center" don't give me the warm fuzzies either, but as I said will just have to wait and see. I'm curious though, why do you think it's near the airport?

Well there is room over there by the CGA building and USAA and there is a new hotel going over there so I'm just making a guess.

I don't see it at Pilot On-line, but I read over the weekend that the Madison Hotel on Granby is going to be converted to a condo. There was some mention of a restaurant and perhaps some small amount of retail also, if I am remembering correctly.

I 2nd that. It was either Saturday or Sunday.

Interesting article, i'm surprised it hasn't made it online yet. In that very same article they talk about building condos on top of the sheraton at waterside, but say there are no plans to do so in the current renovation.

That would be cool! I hope this does happen! The more residents the better for DT.

Edited by rusthebuss