Royal Court

graydog

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was about to post the same thing, although probably not from the same basis of knowledge. I think the main reason we see this EFIS/Dryvit being added to so many projects is that most people seem to think of it as a perfectly fine facade material. In fact, I have seen on a number of rezoning requests that they list possible facade materials on projects listing 'masonry or EFIS' as though they were all of similar quality. Of course, they then often revert down to the EFIS to save lots of money.

One example that jumps to my memory is the City View apartments in 4th Ward. The original renderings showed an all brick building. What ended up being built is a building that (for me) exceeds the ugliness and cheapness/cheesiness of the Hampton Inn/The Tower project. At least the ground floor of the Hampton Inn has normal bricks, versus the weird square masonry of the ground floor on the City View apts, and Hampton Inn didn't cause a century old brick warehouse to be leveled for a parking on lot on Charlotte's second main street.

Royal Court won't end up as tragic as either of those projects, as they did retain masonry on the main facade(s), leaving the EIFS to the side and top (from the rendering it was always planned at the top). So then, I'm sure if you ask the general public whether they care if the side of the building is stucco or brick, you probably would find most people indifferent. So it is hard to blame them for doing it.

However, public policy in the city ought to get involved universally to ban the material. The reason is that the city and the general public are the stakeholders that are affected most by the long term durability, aesthetics, and value of the buildings for generations. The developer is out of the picture after the last unit is sold, and the average first homeowner would live there 5-7 years. If we're not careful, we may end up with a city that is significantly built out with this low material, which does not last as long, nor protect the building at the same level as others. It may be setting the stage for a very blighted-looking city after a generation.

This is a somewhat disappointment for what was such a great project. Even though they retain the brick on the most visible of the facades, the side with the EIFS is still very visible. I'd have to wait to see the final product, but I hope it retains a cohesive look and doesn't turn out to look like an unfinished job by leaving a side brickless. I would have much rather they did partial brick with accent areas in the EIFS/masonry/whatever like the Dilworth facing drawing has always depicted.

• 4 weeks later...

You've gotta love that this project has the same look at the Hampton Inn/Garden Inn. Put their webcam to where you can see both. It is like they were mimicking that project. Ha! Do the developers realize that they putting themselves into the category to be considered among the ugliest buildings in Charlotte?

I was giving them some points for still using some brick on the side that faces Dilworth, but I found myself over there recently and nope, it is quite ugly in person.

I guess this reduces A2's psychic credentials. He used to love this building (or does it confirm it, because he moved away rather than buying into Royal Court?).

• 4 weeks later...

Boy, did this thing turn out ugly or what? I had such high hopes for this project.

I still have low hopes personally. I don't think its going to end up being an absolute eyesore (i hope at least). When I was in town for Christmas is seemed like it looked bettter from downtown... On another note, I got a job offer in Charlotte so I might be moving back and I'm either buying here or at MetMidtown.

I still have low hopes personally. I don't think its going to end up being an absolute eyesore (i hope at least). When I was in town for Christmas is seemed like it looked bettter from downtown... On another note, I got a job offer in Charlotte so I might be moving back and I'm either buying here or at MetMidtown.

Wow good to hear Nibble. The cold must've frost bitten you. I personally have always liked the tower but up until the EIFS went up, it now lost it's likability value to me. It certainly has a better view from uptown but I'm also not a fan of one sided towers. We have too many of those in Charlotte. Either way, it's being completed as far as of now, it is adding some height and density outside of the loop, and bringing in a few dozen more people to the scene.

I like this building. It's not a standout IMHO but it's attractive enough. The name is a little pretentious for me. That small pet peeve aside I also think it's an example of lack of context and a plan being needed along Morehead. The street is kind of all over the place and not in a good way. This has been an issue of growing import being pushed by the DCDA. And one I happen to agree with. Granted, Royal Court is not directly on Morehead but it's contiguous enough to have a large impact.

I like this building. It's not a standout IMHO but it's attractive enough. The name is a little pretentious for me. That small pet peeve aside I also think it's an example of lack of context and a plan being needed along Morehead. The street is kind of all over the place and not in a good way. This has been an issue of growing import being pushed by the DCDA. And one I happen to agree with. Granted, Royal Court is not directly on Morehead but it's contiguous enough to have a large impact.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was named for the street that it is on Royal Ct. I think there is a plan along morehead. They want that stretch to be midlevel office buildings. There are 3 or 4 being built between 6 and twelve stories.

Boy, did this thing turn out ugly or what? I had such high hopes for this project.

Ha! I scrolled up to read this thread because I clicked the Last Post link. I saw this and though, 'oh it isn't that bad' and then I saw Krazeeboi's photo! Good photo of a terrible subject. I thought the brick to the 7th floor would still have a decent impression from the ground. Boy was I wrong. It looks so goofy changing materials that low like that and the ugly edges are extremely dominant, especially from that angle.

I drove by this morning up close and it is worse than in the webcam image.....the EIFS looks horrible with vents from the units cheaply sticking through it. The brick is even not that attractive. It uniform in color with no pattern, and no texture/relief what so ever.....put some trellis up the side and plant some ivy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it'll look a tad bit better when they get railings and the finishing touches in. Also, Its not the worst thing i"ve seen, the clock tower would have to win that award. You have to realize that pretty much only the building the webcam sits on sees this view, thanks to shorter buildings, and trees between royal ct. and euclid, this building is practically invisible from morehead. I think the most prodominent view of the building is from 2nd ward, and this is also the best looking side of the building. So I'm not going to worry about how the building looks, because honestly only 2% of the population is really going to care.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived