Other cities scope out Greenville

gs3

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this was shared already, but Dublin, Ohio's city council put together a nice document highlighting many of Greenville's examples of successful revitalization. The information was gathered during the Transforming Local Governments conference recently hosted by Greenville. Our city obviously left a positive impression, since the document suggests that they were planning a possible "field trip" back to Greenville in September. I am not sure whether that happened, but it is good to know of their interest. :)

Not sure if this was shared already, but Dublin, Ohio's city council put together a nice document highlighting many of Greenville's examples of successful revitalization. The information was gathered during the Transforming Local Governments conference recently hosted by Greenville. Our city obviously left a positive impression, since the document suggests that they were planning a possible "field trip" back to Greenville in September. I am not sure whether that happened, but it is good to know of their interest. <ahttp://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'>
I found a nice follow-up document which was based on their recent trip to Greenville. It provides several suggestions they hope to accomplish in their city after witnessing what has been done in our city. Here is a very nice "wrap-up" document highlighting information gathered during their September visit.

For those who may not already know, Dublin, OH, is a suburban city in the Columbus metro area. Dublin is home to the corporate headquarters of Wendy's.

• 1 month later...
A nice opinion editorial written by a Greenville native was recently published at JacksonSun.com (Jackson, Mississippi). Its author encouraged the residents to be creative as they look for ways to revitalize their downtown, and used Greenville's impressive success story as an example for utilizing a small stream flowing through town.
My home town of Greenville, S.C., made its eyesore its centerpiece 20 years ago after trying every expensive trick in the book to attract people back downtown. Now the banks of the Reedy River (don't let the name fool you - it's only 10 feet wide) attract thousands of people every week who picnic by its banks and shop along Main Street once again.

"Every expensive trick in the book"? That part was interesting. Did the city attempt to implement other revitalization strategies before the streetscaping, etc.? I hope it was nothing as drastic as Rock Hill, which put up a giant awning over Main Street at one point to try to make it resemble a mall to try and get people to come downtown.

"Every expensive trick in the book"? That part was interesting. Did the city attempt to implement other revitalization strategies before the streetscaping, etc.? I hope it was nothing as drastic as Rock Hill, which put up a giant awning over Main Street at one point to try to make it resemble a mall to try and get people to come downtown.

I suspect the author is exaggerating to make his point about Jackson using their assets wisely.

The streetscaping and Hyatt partnership were the original expensive strategies. Both worked, although the success was a little slow developing. I really can't think of any "tricks" that didn't work.

• 1 month later...

Just as we have seen again and again over the past decade, leaders in Owensboro, Kentucky, and Daviess County, Kentucky, are using our Greenville as a model for the revitalization of their downtown and riverfront area. Russell Stall from Greenville Forever spoke at a Chamber event in Owensboro on Thursday, and a group of delegates are planning a trip to Greenville in May. :shades:

More information

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as we have seen again and again over the past decade, leaders in Owensboro, Kentucky, and Daviess County, Kentucky, are using our Greenville as a model for the revitalization of their downtown and riverfront area. Russell Stall from Greenville Forever spoke at a Chamber event in Owensboro on Thursday, and a group of delegates are planning a trip to Greenville in May. :shades:

More information

Owensboro leaders are in Greenville right now, seeking insight into what our leaders have done to help plan and develop our vibrant downtown. :shades:

More information

• 4 weeks later...

A good article in a Richmond, VA paper about Richmond looking to other cities for ideas....the four cities listed are: Austin, Portland, Boston and Greenville. The article (commentary) is about Greenville. A good read. The title is "Richmond Could Learn a Few Things From the Carolina Uplands" Guess the word "Upstate" escaped them. :rolleyes:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/opin...-211703/270705/

• 2 months later...

Archived