Other cities scope out Greenville

gs3

I didn't have a chance to read the article yesterday, but when I tried to follow the link above this morning, it wouldn't work for me. I went to the home page and guess what was the headline story? Yes, this one! lol This one was posted today, so there may be updates to the one yesterday - I noticed that the trees are not even close to being the main focus in this article. Very, very nice and enjoyable read!

Here is the link to today's version of the article from DecatureDaily.com.

Great find Skyliner! Thanks. Looks like their paper is doing a multi part on Greenville.....very nice. :thumbsup:

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice articles. I thought it was interesting (but misleading) how they kept ponting out that the populations are about the same. But we all know about gville's pop, and even though I haven't been to Decatur, seems more of a suburb of Huntsville, which is much more similar to Gville. They should have pointed out the apples to oranges component there. Just being picky I know, but don't want Gville to be underestimated to the out of towners :thumbsup:

Short article about the absence of crime in downtown Greenville and the success the city has had keeping downtown a safe and crime free area. Other cities taking notice and asking for Greenville's secret to success.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/14723614/detail.html

If you all could see a video of the story you would be beaming. It was fantastically produced! Major props to the WYFF News 4 staff and crew. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

BTW, our buddy Chris from Dogs On Wheels had a few words to say on the video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked it up just to see, they must mean city size, as Decatur has 55k +. The MSA only has 149k. Gville is much more similar to Huntsville. Huntsville proper has 168k, but its MSA is still only 368k, with the CSA only at 510k. Overall, thsi seems to be a much smaller area than Gville MSA or CSA.

I think comparing Huntsville to Greenville is somewhat of a stretch. Decatur isn't even in the same ballpark. But as we've discussed before, they obviously looked at city limit populations and went from there.

The Huntsville metro area does not seem to be on the same level as Greenville to me, but I have never been there so perhaps I am not giving it a chance.

Huntsville is a great town and I would consider it similar to Greenville in many ways. They have a large population of engineers, they have an automobile manufacturing plant-Toyota and they have a downtown that is experiencing a revitaliztion. While there downtown has a great daytime population it starts to empty out after work and they don't have as many restaurants in their CBD. They also have a killer development called Bridge Street. I don't have a link but it is google-worthy.

I looked it up just to see, they must mean city size, as Decatur has 55k +. The MSA only has 149k. Gville is much more similar to Huntsville. Huntsville proper has 168k, but its MSA is still only 368k, with the CSA only at 510k. Overall, thsi seems to be a much smaller area than Gville MSA or CSA.

We need to come to the realization that as long as greenville s.c. shows only 57,000 + population it will never get the true respect it deserves we who live here know that GVL is much larger than the city limits show but people go by stats and thats what we are going to live with until the ridiculous annexation laws are changed!

We need to come to the realization that as long as greenville s.c. shows only 57,000 + population it will never get the true respect it deserves we who live here know that GVL is much larger than the city limits show but people go by stats and thats what we are going to live with until the ridiculous annexation laws are changed!

Agreed.

To Greenville: You are correct, the metro is not nearly as large. But even though the city pop is 168, is feels very similar to gville in size. I think huntsville is a very nice city, very pretty, and it reminds me very much of Gville. But metro-wise, and CSA-wise, it is not as large an area.

for another perspective over 900,000 people live in a 50 mile radius of HSV. There are some similarities

but it's not really an easy comparison. The main thing is Greenville is showing alot of communities how to

do things right including Huntsville/Decatur.

Greenville is a great city.

Not to throw the topic off, but for those interested, more things to look at

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread...638#post3291638

• 2 weeks later...

From the visits made earlier, Greenville the inspiration. One side note, Decatur and Greenville are not the same size. I guess they may mean the inner city,

anyway hopefully Decatur can carry through.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/stories/3487.htm

Decatur is still talking about their Greenville visit. Great to city that Greenville's downtown can inspire other cities like this! :thumbsup:

http://www.decaturdaily.com/stories/4491.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I especially enjoyed the reader comments at the bottom of the page. :)

I did as well. :)

Here is another from this week. Beaumont, Texas. Article from their paper that calls out the success of Greenville. Greenville is referenced as a "model city". Liked this sentence:

When asked what they consider to be the model for downtown revitalization, city officials pointed to Greenville, S.C.

Here is the article:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/loc...8_22_34_01.html

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Chattanooga may be sending a delegation to Greenville. Since the VW announcement for Chattanoooga, they are looking to Greenville for ideas (how Greenville relates to BMW)......what expectations an influx of Germans may have......etc.

Sounds like an interesting fact finding trip for Chattanooga.

A nice article from a columnist in Opelika, AL who travled through Greenville. Funny how many people from cities small, medium and large, visit Greenville and then go back and write about it in their local newspaper. Nice to see Greenville continues to please. :thumbsup:

"In Greenville, S.C., I noticed lots of outside dining opportunities

Archived