• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bus driver hit in downtown depot

By Jennifer Jefferson

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

A StarMetro driver was critically injured Monday after a bus hit him in the bus depot on Appleyard Drive.

The driver, John George, 50, was walking through the bus parking area about 7:30 p.m. when he was hit by a bus driven by Quentin Jackson, 22, according to David McCranie, spokesman for the Tallahassee Police Department. George suffered two broken legs and injuries to his collarbone, ribs and pelvis.

In 2006, StarMetro was rated best in the state for its employee-safety practices by the Florida Public Transportation Association. In 2007, StarMetro dropped to second place.

Source: TDO.com

----------------------------------------------

Since when is Appleyard Drive.... Downtown?

I was able to connect to the new RiderNet wireless network on 80x today. It is free, and decently fast (1mbps). They are installing it this week. If you ride, look for a small white box attached to the 'visor' area of the bus over the drivers head.

I rode Route 16 a few weeks ago, and the bus I was on had 10-15 people on it. I am not a regular rider of that route, but it was a relatively long trip.

I was able to connect to the new RiderNet wireless network on 80x today. It is free, and decently fast (1mbps). They are installing it this week. If you ride, look for a small white box attached to the 'visor' area of the bus over the drivers head.

I rode Route 16 a few weeks ago, and the bus I was on had 10-15 people on it. I am not a regular rider of that route, but it was a relatively long trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Revitalized StarMetro Shelters Good as New

January 8, 2008

As TCC Students Return, So Do Their Bus Shelters - Students returning to Tallahassee Community College this week who ride StarMetro may think they are being greeted by two "new" bus shelters, but the shelters have actually just been refurbished. They can be seen on each side of Appleyard Drive in front of TCC.

The shelters were sandblasted, powder coated, assembled, and had the Plexiglas replaced. The new coat of blue paint they

• 2 months later...
I've tried contacting administration at StarMetro to ask for an update on their plans for a standalone website. No one was answering. I'll try again later. Times like this really make me miss NewStar!

Why? They've done nothing but improve their services over the past few years. They've increased ridership, launched advertisements, expanded routes to core areas of the community such as Bradfordville and Southwood, increased route frequency, and even tweaked the attitudes of the coach operators... I can't complain about progress, and that's what I've seen from StarMetro.

Why? They've done nothing but improve their services over the past few years. They've increased ridership, launched advertisements, expanded routes to core areas of the community such as Bradfordville and Southwood, increased route frequency, and even tweaked the attitudes of the coach operators... I can't complain about progress, and that's what I've seen from StarMetro.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever really seen ridership numbers for the different StarMetro routes? I participated in the Park and Ride Community (PARC) program, and I have been told that StarMetro does have a ridership database. However, I was also told they do not know how to pull the numbers out of the database. Does anyone know about this ridership database? It would be nice to know if ridership has increased, and compare those number before and after the PARC program.

Thanks,

BioForce

Has anyone ever really seen ridership numbers for the different StarMetro routes? I participated in the Park and Ride Community (PARC) program, and I have been told that StarMetro does have a ridership database. However, I was also told they do not know how to pull the numbers out of the database. Does anyone know about this ridership database? It would be nice to know if ridership has increased, and compare those number before and after the PARC program.

Thanks,

BioForce

I believe that the problem is real, and lies with the farebox vendor. They are collecting the data, but the software provided by the vendor has been unable to reliable pull data out for analysis. I may be wrong about this, but I am pretty sure that was the last I had heard about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Adams Street between Tennessee and Call is closed for several months due to renovations at C.K. Steele Plaza. Some of the buses are using Adams Street to unload/pickup. I'm happy to see the plaza get renovations done.

Has anyone seen the latest StarMetro commercial? It uses the "wheels on the bus" jingle. A nice little commercial, and catchy too!

Archived