Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Several private universities have walls, gates, and checkpoints for security and seclusion purposes; but I have never heard of a walled public institution. If a state university wants to deny the public access to its libraries and other facilities, the state should deny the university its funding.

I like what one commenter on the pilot said: the Tech shooter was a student, not a "trespasser".

Hah, NSU. NSU entered into some agreement thing with Telcove to put in this "Supernode" for the RISE center. It was all over the Pilot. Really what it was is, Telcove just ran their network thru and was able to put up a building to hold the equipment, similiar to the ones that Verizon has... oh about everywhere.

Anyways, being a tech guy, I contacted them. Basically all they could do is resell the Telcove service, just like telcove does or something. There was really no benefit to it, other than some press. The guy I talked to from NSU, after *finally* getting someone on the phone, had roughly zero idea about what they had, what it was, what they were offering with it, what they were doing, etc.

Pretty sad.

And the RISE center name sounds like the projects. RISE... as in, something is broken and deficient and we are trying to raise the standards or some such.

Honestly, knowing how Norfolk State is run, this isn't a real surprise. The whole RISE program is a sham. Almost zero minority participation in this project, which is disgusting for a project like this. If you remember several years ago, the state audited them due to losing tens of millions of dollars and it came out numerous students were not being charged to go to school, and when they were made to pay, the student were actually angry they had pay.

Edited by VAGATOR

This blog brings up some interesting points about NSU's stand :lol:

NSU loses its mind

Well, at least two members of the Norfolk State University have proven their college degrees have gone to waste, if they even earned one.

It is interesting that two Board of Visitors Members against the proposed light rail stops at Norfolk State don’t even live in Norfolk, so it is obviously “no skin off their noses” if light rail service is curtailed. But, it is noted that the entire board voted to formalize complaints against light rail.

Member Briefing

Wed. Sept. 5 @ 8am

Domionion Enterprises

150 Granby Street

Don't miss our first Member Briefing of the season. Our speakers, Councilman Randy Wright and Michael Townes, President/CEO of Hampton Roads Transit will update everyone on the progress and major milestones ahead for Norfolk's Light Rail System and explain how the downtown community will be kept informed about construction and its impact

A continental breakfast will be provided at 8am with the presentation at 8:30am. Briefings are free to members and $25 for non-members. You can RSVP here.

This is for the DNC. Anyone attending this tommorrow. It'd be nice to get some updates, and perhaps ask some questions about this NSU issue.

Norfolk Light Rail Project

Don't know if any of you have seen this presentation in another forum, but it may be the best I have ever seen in capturing all of the details, issues, etc., surrounding Norfolk LRT, at least from HRT's perspective.

It is a year old (given to the VA LR Symposium), and some of the graphics on the proposed developments are dated, but still interesting. Careful -- it is a 11MB .pdf!

Member Briefing

Wed. Sept. 5 @ 8am

Domionion Enterprises

150 Granby Street

Don't miss our first Member Briefing of the season. Our speakers, Councilman Randy Wright and Michael Townes, President/CEO of Hampton Roads Transit will update everyone on the progress and major milestones ahead for Norfolk's Light Rail System and explain how the downtown community will be kept informed about construction and its impact

A continental breakfast will be provided at 8am with the presentation at 8:30am. Briefings are free to members and $25 for non-members. You can RSVP here.

This is for the DNC. Anyone attending this tommorrow. It'd be nice to get some updates, and perhaps ask some questions about this NSU issue.

Did anyone attend? If not, does anyone have any contacts on where we might get minutes or something? I've saw nothing on this on DNC site.

Light rail will be finalized Oct 1st :yahoo:

Transit officials have set Oct. 1 as the date for signing contracts for federal money to make Norfolk's long-awaited $232 million starter light-rail line a reality.

As long as no objections are raised by Congress before the end of the month, light-rail plans and financing packages will be finalized at a ceremony planned for that date.

Construction would begin in mid- to late November, and the trains would begin carrying passengers in early 2010.

Local congressional representatives have said the review is mostly a formality.

"We haven't heard anything from Congress as far as questions or concerns, and we're not anticipating hearing anything," said Michael Townes, Hampton Roads Transit president and CEO.

Hi everyone! Here's a new Virginian-Pilot article on light-rail. I don't know if the rendering is new, but it's so cool though!

It's much more realistic than the previous I've seen. Unfortunately, I haven't come across any others as detailed as this one, so far.

Norfolk officials gearing up for light-rail line

0916rail500x300.jpg

Ughh. I liked the other rendering better. Much more sleek. This looks too bland IMO. Why would they change it from that wonderful design?

It looks like it was created in the 70's early 80's....

Yeah, it's basically Norfolk's skyline on wheels. :lol: Must everything be a block or a square in this city? Think curvature people. ;) On a side note it does resemble some of the commuter trains I saw in Miami, except in Miami they were painted with some God awful color scheme. I didn't like those at all. Now Charlottes lynx blue line looks absolutely fantastic, and something that I could see us emulating up here. It's actually kinda similar to the design above, but looks more rounded and has smoother features.

300px-LYNX_Car_104_at_TremontStatio.jpg

Here's one from Houston that looks even better IMO

MetroRail.jpg

Maybe it's an old design, though I can't recall ever seeing a rendering from that perspective before.

I might be alone on this one, but I love the new rendering. ^_^ Actually, it was what I was hoping for in the first place, not that the previous designs were unattractive; They were just not my taste. They were a little too "space age" for me. This one has a heavier, industrial-urban feel, without looking too blocky. And yet, it still maintains some sleekness, in my opinion. The straight lines are nicely capped off with the curvature at front and rear, so I think in that instance, there is a good balance. The previous renderings reminded me of the bullet train in Japan or Maglev, which, in and of themselves are great systems, I'm sure, but I think this new design fits Norfolk's city-scape more appropriately. The curvier desings would work better with a younger city like VA Beach, in my opinion. I mean, certainly if they were still going with the previous designs, I would still be happy, but I do prefer this one even more.

These are just renderings of what the trains COULD look like. HRT and this small segment of light rail is not purchasing an order that would be enough to justify ordering alone. HRT will be partnering with other communities that are building light rail, therefore they are at the mercy of whatever cities design for light rail come up with.

You know, I've got some great ideas for the City of Norfolk:

To boost light rail ridership:

A: have the train slow way down, or take breaks to block traffic downtown. As if the thing won't already screw up traffic

B: put the library somewhere far away, to force people to ride the train to the library.

So I went to this civic league meeting for the Freemason Street something Area something Association last night. They held it at the Pagoda, which evidentially isn't the norm. Normally it's held at some church (yuck) that isn't a restaurant .

Anyways, the police gave crime stats. Pretty cool.

Someone from the market talked, nothing stood out. The hi-light of her presence seemed to be the free bags handed out, with a small discount attached. They also gave a $500 check to some charity to butter up the community.

President of TCC talked, didn't catch anything special other than attendance information.

And (drumroll) Randy Wright was there, talking about light rail. Almost all of the comments and questions were drab. Someone asked about the expenses and what happens if they go up, I refrained (it was so hard) from a comment about 22 million being available from Granby Tower. Except one question was interesting. Someone asked about the flooding that happens during heavy rain. Evidentially, the game plan to deal with flooding is to turn off the train.

Quality.

Someone else was pretty heated over the library being dumped, and TCC is trying to talk the city into a joint library or something. This was the only sign of any action.

The crowd booed over Janaf as well. Evidentially freemason residents don't like Janaf.

IMHO, the whole light rail thing is dumb. They are going to put down the same style transit that they removed in the past. We need real progress for human kind. We need elevated maglev.

LRT could get alot more ridership if it connects to Naval Base Norfolk and NAS Oceana (somehow I think that will close before light rail gets built in VB). All Federal Agencies are mandated to provide a $115 subsidyper month to workers who commute using mass transit like light rail, commuter rail, vanpools. Its too bad the starter line could not end at Norfolk Naval Base.