Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

In these renderings, all I see are single-car platforms. Somebody please tell me this isn't the case. You'll need way more space than that. A minimum of three cars.

This is a starter line. As the lines expand there are plans to expand the size of the cars and the platforms as well.

Ingleside group want city, HRT to drop station

A group of Ingleside residents wants the city and Hampton Roads Transit to scratch the light rail walk-up station planned for their neighborhood and elevate the tracks over Ingleside Road.

They've formed the Ingleside LRT Public Involvement Committee and are circulating petitions demanding the city delay the start of light rail construction for 120 days for a "genuine dialogue with citizens."

<_< There is no need to delay this entire project for ingleside. Just drop their @$* and move on. They don't want a station, don't give them a station. Lets get this show on the road. This project is too important.

Ingleside group want city, HRT to drop station

&lt;_&lt; There is no need to delay this entire project for ingleside. Just drop their @$* and move on. They don't want a station, don't give them a station. Lets get this show on the road. This project is too important.

Its funny that Ingelside is worried about crime problems when that area is seriously crime ridden. This is one of the things that I hate about this region is stupid stuff like this. I guarantee that once this is running that another group in that area will be crying why isn't there a stop at ingelside. Morons!

People can take the bus to the same places that LRT is going so what is the freakn difference. Light rail is not going to add more crime to neighborhoods point blank and these morons need to wake up! I also bet these morons are the same ones complaining about the traffic around the region.

Its funny that Ingelside is worried about crime problems when that area is seriously crime ridden. This is one of the things that I hate about this region is stupid stuff like this. I guarantee that once this is running that another group in that area will be crying why isn't there a stop at ingelside. Morons!

People can take the bus to the same places that LRT is going so what is the freakn difference. Light rail is not going to add more crime to neighborhoods point blank and these morons need to wake up! I also bet these morons are the same ones complaining about the traffic around the region.

I stayed in the ruff part of engleside for about 2 years..The area is a lot better now but no were near a model area as "rusthebuss" explains..

What's the big deal I'm with vdogg, if they don't want, skip them, more money for the project...NO need to stop the project, they probably will not get around to their area for a while anyways.....It isn't going to be built in a day.

I stayed in the ruff part of engleside for about 2 years..The area is a lot better now but no were near a model area as "rusthebuss" explains..

What's the big deal I'm with vdogg, if they don't want, skip them, more money for the project...NO need to stop the project, they probably will not get around to their area for a while anyways.....It isn't going to be built in a day.

It's not that simple. You can't just take out a stop. It took many years of planning and forecasting ridership to finally get approval from the government. You take a station away and all of your forcasting numbers are completely different. I am sure that HRT will lend no ear to this small group of people because they have had well over five years and countless workshops and meetings to attend to voice there concerns and opinions, which many residents from the area did attend. Where were these people when they had the opportunity to speak out?

The entire crime argument is comical, as if someone would commit a crime and use a train as the getway car.

The entire crime argument is comical, as if someone would commit a crime and use a train as the getway car.

I have to agree with you...

Would they feel better if NPD changed their focus and have more visible police cars trailing from crime instead of speeders (and chesapeake is 10 times worst)?

I know this maybe a little off topic (maybe we need a thread to support this) but over the past 5 years I have been personally grossed out with Norfolk's passive way of handling crime in Norfolk. They may have a right to complian but do not use LRT as a way to support your need calming crime. Crime is crime buddy, LRT has little to do with it. If your perception is that crime comes via public transportation...you have to worry about that with the busses and cabs too.

The Virginian-Pravda has twice reported there's going to be a LRT Financing Signing Ceremony on October 1. Has anyone heard anything about it? I e-mailed HRT Staff Thursday but still have no reply.

I have not heard any specifics but Randy Wright mentioned it when he spoke to the Freemason Street Area Association on September 19. He was very excited about the significance of October 1 as I recall.

Interesting survey results on ODU's Center for RE and Economic Development page titled Transportation Sub Report: Variation in Citizen Perceptions of Traffic Conditions and Solutions. They asked a variety of HR transportation related questions, but the interesting results were in response to this question:

"Thinking over the next 25 years, do you think a Hampton Roads regional plan ought to focus on adding traffic lanes and tunnels or should the focusbe on a light rail system paralleling our freeways, bridges, and tunnels?"

They segregated the respondants in all sorts of ways, but in every category (except those w/o a high school diploma!) light rail was favored. Just makes the "car centric" part of the HRTA so maddening. The people recognize we can't pave our way out of this problem. Why don't the politicians?

Interesting survey results on ODU's Center for RE and Economic Development page titled Transportation Sub Report: Variation in Citizen Perceptions of Traffic Conditions and Solutions. They asked a variety of HR transportation related questions, but the interesting results were in response to this question:

"Thinking over the next 25 years, do you think a Hampton Roads regional plan ought to focus on adding traffic lanes and tunnels or should the focusbe on a light rail system paralleling our freeways, bridges, and tunnels?"

They segregated the respondants in all sorts of ways, but in every category (except those w/o a high school diploma!) light rail was favored. Just makes the "car centric" part of the HRTA so maddening. The people recognize we can't pave our way out of this problem. Why don't the politicians?

Aren't the proposed tunnels already designed to support light rail and rail in general? There were some local politicians on television who seemed to understand the problem, and mentioned that the third crossing is mostly meant to address future (25-30 years) traffic issues, not a temporary band-aid solution. Of course, it ought to address future transportation issues given the money it's going to cost. Hopefully Norfolk's light rail is just the beginning.

Aren't the proposed tunnels already designed to support light rail and rail in general?

Only marginally. Here are the only projects eligible for HRTA funding:

3rd Crossing

I-64 Peninsula Widening

New Midtown tunnel tubes

Route 460

SE Parkway

The only rail element in any of that is there is a provision for two "multi-modal" tubes in the Third Crossing. There is no other money for light rail expansion of any type. There is NO provision in the Midtown plans for rail tubes, despite the fact that the westernmost terminus of the starter segement is less than 300 yards from the entrance to the Midtown ---- and without rail tubes in the expanded Midtown, Portsmouth is shut off from light rail service for decades.

There is also no money for improved passenger rail services in the HRTA funding -- though this survey was about traffic problems, and passenger rail isn't really designed to address that.

The citizenry understands that we can't pave our way out of this problem -- it is a capacity problem, and the only cost effective way to address capacity, especially when water crossings are involved, is expanded light or even commuter rail. We get it -- why don't the politicians?

3rd Crossing

I-64 Peninsula Widening

New Midtown tunnel tubes

Route 460

SE Parkway

These are among the most critical roads projects in the region, particularly the "3rd" crossing and new Midtown tube. I'd add I-64 widening on Southside before the Peninsula, though.

Also would like to make a proposal:

Can we start calling the "3rd crossing" the "4th crossing"? There already are 3 crossings:

1. HRBT

2. MMBT

3. JRB (James River Bridge). In fact I think this (meaning its predecessor) is the oldest of the 3.

Get a clue, VP.