Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

Because they are so close together. Why do they need a Architecture program? Is it that many architecture students in Virginia that UVA, Hampton and Va.Tech are not able to fill the need?

As for light rail, do you think that the ridership will be at the numbers they predict?

These ridership numbers are very low actually. The original numbers were about three times higher, but to build in some padding the FTA asked HRT to drop the numbers significantly. So they should be good.

I think the ridership forecast is practical, considering the population densities and activity centers the LRT line will serve. If lots of TOD happens and the starter line is extended and/or fed by additional lines within the next several years, ridership will really start to flourish.

I wish that the line could have gone from the Naval Base to a Park and Ride multi story lot near the Va. Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake line. A lot where the exits enter on to all of the major interstates.

I first thought that would be a great idea as well but the problem would be that its a once a day type trip that doesn't really need a permanent track in place. It would serve the same purpose to run an express bus from the park and ride lot.

I think a better enhancement to the system would be to extend it to Old Dominion University so the 2500+ on-campus residents can access downtown or NSU if they are involved in a partnership.

Light Rail born and reborn in Virginia

An interesting article from the Richmond Times Dispatch:

Norfolk is on track to build a light-rail transit system. Arlington and Fairfax counties are backing light rail for the busy Columbia Pike corridor.

Richmond, Charlottesville and Roanoke also have expressed interest in reviving tramways in their crowded urban corridors.

"There's been something of a renaissance in light rail," said Pierce Homer, the state's secretary of transportation. "It's a fairly significant trend in transportation planning."

Because they are so close together. Why do they need a Architecture program? Is it that many architecture students in Virginia that UVA, Hampton and Va.Tech are not able to fill the need?

As for light rail, do you think that the ridership will be at the numbers they predict?

Only a small percentage of applicants to either VT or UVA architecture programs get accepted, meaning that there is a higher desire for architecture schooling than there is supply. By far, even. With a 3.9 GPA and extracurriculars out my #*@ I probably couldn't get into either program without astounding scores on math standardized tests and internships and the like, especially as an outside-transfer. It's ridiculously competitive.

And an interesting article vdogg :) It would be great to get a link between all the metros with a high-speed rail service. To be able to avoid 64 or 95 to get to Richmond, C-Ville, or the DC metro would be a Godsend.

Sorry to be off topic, I don't have internet access all the time while I am on winter break. Actually if you do any research on the topic, the architecture department in Hampton is in the engineering department, which means it is simply an extension of the engineering department. I have found the west coast to have much better architecture programs because they try and push the creative thought of what architecture could be rather than pushing the engineering aspect of it.....which usually just leads to lame architects.

The way any architecture program works for a BA or a BArch is that you need to get into the college first. Then from there you can register for the first year classes as long as they are not already full and so on. Through your first year you will watch people drop like flies cause truth of the matter is it is a freaking hard program. After first year, you usually submit a portfolio. There are hoops that you have to jump through that each school has, but at this point you should have a good idea of who will get in and who will not. I actually enjoy trying to guess the first year students that will make it.

Okay and back to transit, I am not so sure what they predict for numbers will meet that. It really depends on where everyone lives and works. How many people live in Ghent that work downtown? Those people would be much more likely to use light rail. In all reality, the only way for light rail to be a true success would be extending it out towards chesapeake, VB, and over to NN and Hampton. Then having those stops to be large park and rides spots, then funnel it all to the military. Much of the traffic is because of the military........which oddly enough, they should also be the ones helping to pay for this. But I hope what Norfolk is currently planning works well for them.

Okay and back to transit, I am not so sure what they predict for numbers will meet that. It really depends on where everyone lives and works. How many people live in Ghent that work downtown? Those people would be much more likely to use light rail. In all reality, the only way for light rail to be a true success would be extending it out towards chesapeake, VB, and over to NN and Hampton. Then having those stops to be large park and rides spots, then funnel it all to the military. Much of the traffic is because of the military........which oddly enough, they should also be the ones helping to pay for this. But I hope what Norfolk is currently planning works well for them.

Very true. But you'll find that the steps Norfolk is taking by building an inital starter line is how all major cities tackle light rail. They build in phases and what you find is ridership levels typically jump in huge numbers after the second phase is built and more accessible lines are built. Just like what would happen if Va Beach would connect to Norfolk's line. Here is a good short article.

http://www.lightrailnow.org/news/n_den002.htm

I am starting to think, well been thinking actually....that the St Paul Quad will probably be one of the biggest keys to making or breaking the rail line. The less section 8 housing that this runs through, the better chance for riders. Now I am not saying it should run through no poor neighborhoods, I am just saying it should run through neighborhoods that are not run down....meaning they need investment and better housing for Norfolk's poorer population.

Of course I say this knowing full well that here in Portland they ran a light rail line straight though a very run down area and now it is seeing new investments.

Also on that same note....kind of, I would like to see the Navy kick into helping this project along. The sooner it connects to the base the better. But all that aside, I hope it goes well and I hope it is full fledge Light Rail and not this Light Rail that is really just a streetcar like they have up in Tacoma.

After the initial starter rail is complete, expanding north of Norfolk will be tough! It would be easier to expand to other cities such as Elizabeth city (and surrounding counties), Chesapeake, Va. beach and Portsmouth. They would really see a dramatic difference in ridership if they incorporated light rail to peninsula cities, but we know that idea and doing will come from the hands of state officials and not local. A light rail that stretches from Southside to the peninsula could only be tackled from a state perspective as one city would be too selfish to think of their own citizen

Actually I've read where Norfolk and Newport News having been trying to tie the two together and were betting on the third crossing to do so. The cities aren't entirely stupid and know that we depend on each other. No one works, plays, shops and lives in just one city. I go to Vabeach, Chesapeake, Newport news and Hampton all the time.

After the initial starter rail is complete, expanding north of Norfolk will be tough! It would be easier to expand to other cities such as Elizabeth city (and surrounding counties), Chesapeake, Va. beach and Portsmouth. They would really see a dramatic difference in ridership if they incorporated light rail to peninsula cities, but we know that idea and doing will come from the hands of state officials and not local. A light rail that stretches from Southside to the peninsula could only be tackled from a state perspective as one city would be too selfish to think of their own citizen

• 4 weeks later...

There are two amendments in the current General Assembly Session - one in the House and one in the Senate - to allow Virginia Beach to use its bus money appropriated last year for the oceanfront fixed route buses - to be used to purchase the right of way from Norfolk Southern on the abandoned rail line from Norfolk to the Beach. This is a big step - $10 million is the figure. This needs some support, since it is coming from the city government according to the amendment descriptions.

There are two amendments in the current General Assembly Session - one in the House and one in the Senate - to allow Virginia Beach to use its bus money appropriated last year for the oceanfront fixed route buses - to be used to purchase the right of way from Norfolk Southern on the abandoned rail line from Norfolk to the Beach. This is a big step - $10 million is the figure. This needs some support, since it is coming from the city government according to the amendment descriptions.

Interesting....

Curious, where did you look it up, or come across it? I think they'll first extend it to Pembroke first, then down the ocean front later on. They should also build a huge parking garage there when they do, so that people from the surrounding area can park their cars there and take it work in Norfolk and/or head to the oceanfront (eventually). Charge $2 for all day parking

Unfortunately this doesn't mean the beach is onboard with light rail, it just means they're purchasing the right of way as they had indicated they would for the past several years. There was an initial attempt to buy the right of way but Norfolk Southern balked at the sum the beach was offering. It looks like Norfolk Southern gained the upper hand in the negotiating process if the beach has to try to obtain additional funds from the bus budget. They could still just try to use it for that BRT crap though.

I think they'll first extend it to Pembroke first, then down the ocean front later on. They should also build a huge parking garage there when they do, so that people from the surrounding area can park their cars there and take it work in Norfolk and/or head to the oceanfront (eventually). Charge $2 for all day parking

I thought it made much more sense to just extend it to TC -- logical next stop from Newtown Road, plenty of parking (city owned garage at Dick's, more at TC), mass density residential source, attractive destination. Allows VB to stick their toe in the mass transit ocean, w/o letting "those people" get past Pembroke.

Then, build it all the way to Bird Neck, with a transit center on the site of the Jack Rabbit Storage. Bus drop off lanes, parking, kiss and ride lanes, etc.

Consultant named for Norfolk light rail project

As the GEC on the project, PB is responsible for overall management of the entire planning, design, environmental and permitting process. PB will oversee the work of 16 subconsultants. Services will include design coordination during construction as well.

Construction on the project is scheduled to begin in summer of 2007, with revenue service on the LRT system starting in 2010.

Moving right along. :shades:

8 miles don't seem that long but think about what they have to do to accomplish it.

Exactly... Think about it, it is not just track, it is train cars, building sotrage and repair shops for the cars, maintenance buildings and infrastructure, building the stops themselves, and not to mention parking garages... Three years is pretty good... I imagine they are also planning for the future in terms of how much space they will need once the rail goes across the entire region. Planning ahead for things like that is much easier done now than after the fact...

Exactly... Think about it, it is not just track, it is train cars, building sotrage and repair shops for the cars, maintenance buildings and infrastructure, building the stops themselves, and not to mention parking garages... Three years is pretty good... I imagine they are also planning for the future in terms of how much space they will need once the rail goes across the entire region. Planning ahead for things like that is much easier done now than after the fact...

Also, this is light rail so it has power lines above it the entire route.