CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Kroc Center

RestedTraveler

In terms of recreational use, I think just about any kind of recreational use is better than a golf course. The number of people who can use a golf course is very few in number. It is almost exclusively used by those who drive up to it. By its very nature, its use it weakened by having it serve multiple purposes. A multi-purpose sports field can and does accomodate a large number of people at the same time.

Not that golf courses don't have their place. They just don't belong in a downtown environment when there is no shortage of wide open spaces to accomodate courses elsewhere. And it's not about low-income inner city uses. It's about the needs of the community. There simply aren't many active recreational facilities downtown. It's a need. The Kroc Center is a perfect fit.

as far as the soccor field goes, i do hear it will be artificial turf with stadium lights so it will be a very nice field if thats the case...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An article on the construction of the Kroc Center. This sentence in the article confused me: "Outside will be the soccer fields and, across the Reedy River, tennis courts" Across the Reedy? I thought everything was planned for the same side of the Reedy? Did I miss something. Will there be some kind of new footbridge across the Reedy to connect the areas? :dontknow:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100428/NEWS/304280047/1004/NEWS01/Kroc-Center-outlines-become-clearer-as-walls-rise

An article on the construction of the Kroc Center. This sentence in the article confused me: "Outside will be the soccer fields and, across the Reedy River, tennis courts" Across the Reedy? I thought everything was planned for the same side of the Reedy? Did I miss something. Will there be some kind of new footbridge across the Reedy to connect the areas? :dontknow:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20100428/NEWS/304280047/1004/NEWS01/Kroc-Center-outlines-become-clearer-as-walls-rise

The tennis courts are not a part of this phase, but will indeed be located across the Reedy.

Why are so many of our new schools so ugly? Add this one to the list.

I'm curious what you find ugly about this school? IMO, it is clean, modern, sleek and as soon as landscaping is in, should be a great architectural addition to the area. Please tell me you aren't wanting columns, pitched roof and that suburban, red brick conservative anyplace USA look. :sick:

Why are so many of our new schools so ugly? Add this one to the list.

I agree 100%. Looks like a prison to me. It's a big concrete box with almost no architectural detail. It would have looked a little better if they at least showed a little imagination on the color scheme.

I agree 100%. Looks like a prison to me. It's a big concrete box with almost no architectural detail. It would have looked a little better if they at least showed a little imagination on the color scheme.

You answered the question for me. I agree. This school looks like a prison, just like WHHS. It is boring and ugly.

This building is an elementary school. The importance of the building takes place on the inside. It's the learning and the environment which is created on the interior that needs to positively influence teaching and young children. This is done through special attention to layout and natural lighting, both of which are heavily backed by research to improve performance.

Not to mention that this is South Carolina's first engineering-focused elementary school. The curriculum and learning that takes place in this building is not going to be traditional in most senses. Why should the building be?

EDIT: BTW, I'm not trying to change your mind about the building. It's ok to all have differing opinions, but I just wanted to state a case for the building that might be unfairly judged based on its exterior prior to landscaping or experiencing the interior.

Yes, the interior and landscaping could be fantastic when it's finished. However, the exterior--when looked at on its own--does look pretty ugly. It reminds me of the industrial buildings along I-85 near Kings Mountain. You can make a building "non-traditional" without it being boring and plain. The prefabricated concrete, while surely cost effective, is not the most aesthetically pleasing building material. It could use a bit more color to make it more inviting and friendly, and less institutional and intimidating.

I was down in Charleston a month ago and saw a nice new elementary/middle school near downtown (Sanders-Clyde). It is brick, but looks modern and has an urban design.

Post & Courier photo gallery

PDF with pictures (.pdf file)

I think Sanders-Clyde in Charleston looks cheap and institutional compared to the new school at the Kroc Center. That design, especially in our downtown area, would look as bland as it does in Charleston.

Whoever said that this new school looks like a prison obviously hasn't been to a prison lately. This building, while different than others, has a modern flair I like. It fits the urban environment, as well as the school's engineering focus, quite well. It isn't perfect, but it is certainly preferable for this site. If this were in the 'burbs, I would agree that it might be a bit much.

Okay, fine, bad example. But I personally like brick buildings (for the most part), and prefab concrete does nothing for me.

But, as someone else said, learning typically takes place inside a school, so the outside doesn't really matter. It works for what it is, in that regard.

• 1 month later...

Archived