Renaissance Tower Development in Fayetteville

Mith242

Something is definitely wrong here, and has been for a while now. The only rumors I've heard recently state that the only real work going on right now is the plotting of an exit strategy that will keep the developers from having to pay the contractual damages to the City of Fayetteville. Now that the Supreme Court has exempted the 25 mils for the Fayetteville School District, I fear this project may be dead in the water.

It is also interesting to note that the Southpass development--which is also another partnership between the City of Fayetteville and the Renaissance developers--has gone absolutely nowhere in almost 2 years, as well. Something definitely smells rotten here. I am just so thankful that the City rejected Nock and partners plans for the Walton Arts Center parking structure (which was another partnership with the city) based on the experiences at the Renaissance site.

Yeah unfortunately despite some reassurances it does seem something odd is going on here. Seems odd because I've heard good things about Nock in the past. I don't know if he got in way over his head or what. I wish they'd just announce that they're having problems if it wasn't going to go forward. Give someone else a chance to do something. Instead of just letting it sit vacant for another year or so.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used The Rant on KNWA's website to bring up the Renaissance situation again. Let's see if someone there will look more into this.

I happened to get the lowdown on the Renaissance today from someone in the know. The developer is trying to cut $9 million out of the project budget. They haven't figured out how to do that yet and that's why construction hasn't started. That's the bottom line, folks.

I happened to get the lowdown on the Renaissance today from someone in the know. The developer is trying to cut $9 million out of the project budget. They haven't figured out how to do that yet and that's why construction hasn't started. That's the bottom line, folks.

There goes the interior design. The building will probably look great from the outside, but it'll most likely be very plain on the interior, which will kill sales.

Thanks for the info Mark. The bad thing is that you'd think the longer they wait the more money that's wasted. How much money have they wasted on the crane just sitting there? Unfortunately construction costs probably won't be going down anytime soon either.

Thanks for the info Mark. The bad thing is that you'd think the longer they wait the more money that's wasted. How much money have they wasted on the crane just sitting there? Unfortunately construction costs probably won't be going down anytime soon either.

The good news is that diesel isn't going up in price nearly as much as gasoline and all those construction vehicles run on diesel.

The good news is that diesel isn't going up in price nearly as much as gasoline and all those construction vehicles run on diesel.

Yeah but I think the prices for the actual materials keep going up. Granted it's probably not going to be like our gas prices :rolleyes: but I wouldn't imagine they'll be going down rather than up during the construction process. I'm still waiting for the media to pick up more on this whole delay. I really hope that the developers aren't still trying to say this project will be done on time.

Yeah but I think the prices for the actual materials keep going up. Granted it's probably not going to be like our gas prices :rolleyes: but I wouldn't imagine they'll be going down rather than up during the construction process. I'm still waiting for the media to pick up more on this whole delay. I really hope that the developers aren't still trying to say this project will be done on time.

I'm afraid Mr. Nock is stretched too thin. Rupple Row is not selling well at all, and that could contribute to this situation. He has done nothing to change the Cosmopolitan yet, either.

I'm afraid Mr. Nock is stretched too thin. Rupple Row is not selling well at all, and that could contribute to this situation. He has done nothing to change the Cosmopolitan yet, either.

I guess we'll have to get used to liking Fayetteville for how it is right now.

rupple row is a fine example of a good idea poorly executed. i've driven by there once and it's a very bizzare spectacle to see half-a#* "row" houses in the middle of a field. they look cheap and have some strange things going on aesthetically, but i don't remember specifics since it has been a while since i looked at them. i think the people who would be interested in living in this style of development take one look a rupple and say, "golly, that's a shame." the location and design are the two major factors contributing to the poor sells, i'd wager. the major developments that i'm most excited about and that i think have the most potential of being done right are ruskin heights and lofts at underwood plaza. most of the other ones are ill-conceived and probably won't come to fruition.

the major developments that i'm most excited about and that i think have the most potential of being done right are ruskin heights and lofts at underwood plaza. most of the other ones are ill-conceived and probably won't come to fruition.

Yeah, that'll probably be enough for now. I think the things I'm crossing my fingers are is some sort of industry development here or business development. I think those things are going to be thin and not likely but one can hope.

rupple row is a fine example of a good idea poorly executed. i've driven by there once and it's a very bizzare spectacle to see half-a#* "row" houses in the middle of a field. they look cheap and have some strange things going on aesthetically, but i don't remember specifics since it has been a while since i looked at them. i think the people who would be interested in living in this style of development take one look a rupple and say, "golly, that's a shame." the location and design are the two major factors contributing to the poor sells, i'd wager. the major developments that i'm most excited about and that i think have the most potential of being done right are ruskin heights and lofts at underwood plaza. most of the other ones are ill-conceived and probably won't come to fruition.

I believe that during the initial development of Rupple Row there was quite a bit of excitement about it and it turned out to be less impressive than everyone thought. I wonder how many more of these developments are going to take the same route. Legacy is the only development so far that has kept up with the initial excitement that it started with, other than a few small-scale condo projects. Ruskin Heights and the Lofts at Underwood Plaza have created quite a buzz... let's hope the developers will live up to it where others have failed.

SARCASM ON:

I am really keeping my fingers crossed for the 12 story "Legacy II" to be built in the spot of the Dickson Street Used Book Store, and a plexiglass skybridge connecting the two across Dickson over the top of Roger's Rec.

:SARCASM OFF

So you support replacing a Fayetteville landmark with a 12-story condo? Or were you referring to the Dickson Street Book Exchange and not the Dickson Street Bookshop?

absolutely.

The Dickson Street Bookshop is an iconic Fayetteville business and is pretty much nationally well known to book collectors and book aficionados (yes, I had to look it up and yes I did mispell it). It would be nice if they could move into a new location with character like the Lofts at Underwood Plaza, but I'd hate to see them close down like so many other Dickson Street landmarks.

All Talk and no work makes NWA a dull place. :lol:

Yeah, especially when it seemed there was going to be so much going on in the area. Now it's looking more and more that a number of them (maybe hardly any of them) will come to fruition. I guess it's also not a good sign that everything seems to be pointing to the fact the boom may pretty much be over. Things aren't as bright over in the housing market. It also seems like our local economy isn't as shielded from a slumping national economy the way it could back in the 90's.

So much for pointed sarcasm.

(And labeled sarcasm)

I've wondered before on other forums if half of the posters are just bots parsing text and "replying" based on little more than the prominent nouns and verb...looks like that may be beginning here as well. :)

I've wondered before on other forums if half of the posters are just bots parsing text and "replying" based on little more than the prominent nouns and verb...looks like that may be beginning here as well. :)

You never miss an opportunity to try and insult me do you? I don't know why, other than in your mind I've insulted your precious little Fayetteville on occasion. Grow up.

You never miss an opportunity to try and insult me do you? I don't know why, other than in your mind I've insulted your precious little Fayetteville on occasion. Grow up.

You insult 'precious little Fayetteville on occasion'? On Occasion???? :rolleyes:

I'm just going to assume that you forgot your own sarcasm notation before your post because you certainly never miss an opportunity to dog Fayetteville. Seriously. Nearly every thread on this board is cluttered with some of your little digs, insults and cheap shots directed at Fayetteville. Not only does it grow old, it really detracts from what otherwise is a very enjoyable and informative forum. 'Grow up'? Pot, meet kettle.

You insult 'precious little Fayetteville on occasion'? On Occasion???? :rolleyes:

I'm just going to assume that you forgot your own sarcasm notation before your post because you certainly never miss an opportunity to dog Fayetteville. Seriously. Nearly every thread on this board is cluttered with some of your little digs, insults and cheap shots directed at Fayetteville. Not only does it grow old, it really detracts from what otherwise is a very enjoyable and informative forum. 'Grow up'? Pot, meet kettle.

I expected a jab from you. I said "in your mind I've insulted your precious little Fayetteville on occasion." I never said i did insult Fayetteville. Go and find those supposed digs, insults and cheap shots that your mind has cooked up. If you can come up with just one comment that I made about Fayetteville that is not actually the truth and not actually general consensus please do so or keep your snide remarks to yourself.

I expected a jab from you. I said "in your mind I've insulted your precious little Fayetteville on occasion." I never said i did insult Fayetteville. Go and find those supposed digs, insults and cheap shots that your mind has cooked up. If you can come up with just one comment that I made about Fayetteville that is not actually the truth and not actually general consensus please do so or keep your snide remarks to yourself.

Oh come on--you never insulted Fayetteville? Get serious. Why on earth would you expect a jab from me then? The board is absolutely littered with your Fayetteville jabs and you know it--no need for anyone to 'cook' anything up. I'm not the first person that has called you out on it and unfortunately, I'm sure I won't be the last.

You also seem to be having a great deal of difficulty determining the difference between your own personal opinions and 'the truth' or 'general consensus'. Your continual, unwarranted jabs at Fayetteville are merely your own personal opinions--nothing more, nothing less.

I'll make you a deal: I'll keep my snide comments to myself if you do the same. This forum doesn't need to be further polluted with such nonsense.

Archived