West End Field

The bleacher seating and the grass berm seating are there to provide general admission tickets at lower cost points than the reserved seating (seat backs).

Yeah, but all of the new minor league baseball stadiums I have seen like the Myrtle Beach Pelicans stadium and the one in East Tennessee all have seat backs including the general admission ones. I just think their building this stadium kind of cheaply, that's all. Greenville is getting bigger not smaller and they go and build a 5,700 seat stadium when they had an 8,000 seat stadium to begin with. I think they should of built like a 10,000 seat stadium even if it is an A affiliate team.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it was what they wanted. They want the vast majority of the seats filled for home games and that would probably become hard in a 10,000 seat stadium. It is probably better to start small and work up from there - show you can sell out this stadium on a regular basis so they'll feel obligated to expand. As far as this park being cheaply built, I think it is pretty nice for a single-A team. Yes, it does not have all the frills of a modern-day professional stadium, but it will suit the needs of this market well, IMO. I like the positive influence it is having on the surrounding area in downtown. :thumbsup:

I don't think it would be impossible, because there is some space between the two. Theres not very many rows on the Green Monster in Boston. Of course I don't think it would be feasable unless they built like a terrace or somthing to that effect connecting the two, and have some seats or maybe tables to sit at, turn, I cant picture right off hand but, either the 2nd or 3rd floor into like a resteraunt of sorts. Kinda like what they have in right-center field at Turner Field. I know its farfetched, but you have to admit its creative. :whistling:

To support the Green Monster Seating at Fenway, there's a fairly sizeable structure that has been built out onto Lansdowne Street between Gate E and Gate C. It doesn't take up all that much room, but I don't believe there's enough space between the Field House building and the Greenville Monster for such a structure.

The seats on the Green Monster are just about the most expensive seats in all of Major League Baseball. They range from $90 to $130, depending on the game. Although it would be a "cool factor" to have such seating here, I think we can live without it. It is, after all, a very recent addition to Fenway Park as it is, being an effort by the new Red Sox Ownership to increase seating capacity at Fenway.

Incidentally, along those lines, Fenway is undergoing the most extensive renovation in its history over the off season. The seating capacity is going to be increased to 39,000. It's hard to believe that just 5 years ago, the Red Sox were proposing a new ballpark be built south of Fenway between Brookline Avenue, Van Ness Street, and Boylston Street. They had gotten H.O.K. Sport to design it and had plans and renderings and everything and took it to the public only to receive a hail of jeers and boos (rightly so).

I haven't been to Fenway Park in Boston, but I was thinking that the field is well below the ground level out by the Green Monster, meaning whatever structure is out there to support the stands is not nearly as tall as the wall on the inside. I'm pretty sure the street is just below the top of the wall, yes? :unsure:

I haven't been to Fenway Park in Boston, but I was thinking that the field is well below the ground level out by the Green Monster, meaning whatever structure is out there to support the stands is not nearly as tall as the wall on the inside. I'm pretty sure the street is just below the top of the wall, yes? :unsure:

No. The top of the wall is probably only five feet higher above the field on the inside than it is above Lansdowne Street on the outside. I'll see if I can find a photo to illustrate this.

It is so cool that Greenville's stadium is based on Fenway Park. I lived in Boston this summer, and I remember walking by Fenway and seeing how cool it was. Greenville made a smart move using it as a model!

And I am even more excited for all that the stadium is doing for development in the West End.

They also made a smart move building it from the old re-used brick....makes it look like it belongs. Great looking ballpark! :thumbsup:

Unofficially, it is tied to the local automotive industry - Michelin North America, BMW Manufacturing North America, Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research, etc. I would guess the official team website has some form of description as to the origin of their new name. I have a strong hunch there was some mighty powerful politics going on somewhere. ;)

I e-mailed Nate Lipscomb from the Drive this evening and gave him an unofficial headcount of 18 for the tour. He and I will meet downtown prior to the tour to finalize the details, so keep watching this space. I'll also P.M. all of those who have P.M.'d me to express interest with the details, too.

I've marked you down for the tour and phoned and left a message with your colleague as well.

What I know so far: The tour will most likely be on a Sunday Afternoon 2-3 weeks before the ballpark opens, so there will still be construction taking place (bring your own hard hat just in case).

I'm meeting with Nate Lipscomb this weekend to finalize the date/time/plan and will provide everyone with details on Monday.

Archived