West End Field

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice shots, RT! I wonder if the seats actually will be green though. The only thing up is the braces for the seats, so it it quite possible that the seats could still be red. I hope so. :)

The stacks of seats and seat backs I saw up on the concourse next to the boxes were all dark green. These braces are green, too, although it's difficult to discern from the phtographs.

From the tour, it almost seems that the seats are going to be green, blue, and red. :blink: I'm not so sure I like that. I'd rather see one uniform color throughout the entire ballpark.

Good = Red, White, and Blue

Bad = Green

Reason = Team colors are red, white, and blue. Plus green would not fit well with the others, IMO. :huh:

I also meant to thank you for mentioning the sod was being laid yeaterday. I watched the webcam all morning.

I wonder if they'll let us get out and break the field in before opening night? ^_^

You're very welcome! I sat and watched it all day yesterday and today (on and off). It was fun. :lol:

I don't know if they'd let us break it in, but wouldn't that be fun. I've been on the turf at quite a few major league baseball parks (Oriole Park at Camden Yard, Jacobs Field, Turner Field, Coors Field, etc.) even though most of them tell you not to walk on the turf - call me a rebel. :rolleyes: There's just something about setting foot on that grass.

Good = Red, White, and Blue

Bad = Green

Reason = Team colors are red, white, and blue. Plus green would not fit well with the others, IMO. :huh:

Red tends to fade very quickly, so it's not a very wise choice for seats with seat backs. They recently had to replace all of the seats at the Tampa Buccaneers stadium for that very reason. Blue fades too, although not the the same extent. US Cellular Field (AKA the new Comiskey Park) is currently replacing all of their blue seats with green.

I don't recall ever seeing white seats in a ballpark, but it would be interesting.

Green is pretty much a standard color for most ballparks these days. Besides, another thing to consider: who knows if the Drive will always be the home team or if they'll always be affiliated with the Red Sox or if their colors will always be red, white, and blue? I certainly hope they're around for years to come, affiliated with my beloved Red Sox, and always keep the same colors; however, one never knows.

I suppose we may possibly see more of the seats on Sunday, provided they've made that kind of progress.

You're very welcome! I sat and watched it all day yesterday and today (on and off). It was fun. :lol:

I don't know if they'd let us break it in, but wouldn't that be fun. I've been on the turf at quite a few major league baseball parks (Oriole Park at Camden Yard, Jcobs Field, Turner Field, Coors Field, etc.) even though must of them tell you not to walk on the turf - call me a rebel. :rolleyes: There's just something about setting foot on that grass.

That would be sweeeeet.

YES, GREEN SEATS!!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!! IT'S GREEN-ville remember folks, so why not have green seats, duh. :yahoo: However, on that interactive stadium tour on the Drive's website; it looks like the bleachers will be red, two of the outer sections of seats will be blue, and the rest will be green. Looks like we will have to wait and see. Also, if you look carefully towards the outfield when seeing what the view from the seats will look like you can almost tell what the interactive video board will look like too.

YES, GREEN SEATS!!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!! IT'S GREEN-ville remember folks, so why not have green seats, duh. :yahoo: However, on that interactive stadium tour on the Drive's website; it looks like the bleachers will be red, two of the outer sections of seats will be blue, and the rest will be green. Looks like we will have to wait and see. Also, if you look carefully towards the outfield when seeing what the view from the seats will look like you can almost tell what the interactive video board will look like too.

I could have gone for all-green or all-red (as long as a fade-resistant color of red was used). I wish I had actually taken a photo of the stacks of seats and seat backs. I was just in too big of a hurry and being overly cautious of safety concerns because I had my daughter with me.

I'm not sure I like the multi-color look. We're smart enough to figure out where are seats are from reading the tickets. We don't need to be color-coded! :thumbsup:

Yeah, all the seats will be dark green except for maybe the bleachers. I went back and looked at the pics RT took today and they started putting dark green seat backs where it looked like blue ones were going to be. :)

Unfortunately, as Skyliner pointed out previously, these photo only show the seat mounts, not the seats themselves. The seats and seat backs for those sections could still be blue even though the mounts are dark green. :unsure: We'll have to ask Nate on Sunday. He did mention the red and blue seats last week, but I don't recall him mentioning the green. I was hoping that I misunderstood him. Of course, he also jokingly said they were trying to have Field Street renamed to "Drive Way," but I think that was just a joke for the benefit of the Heusel's, who I'm sure have been behind the effort to rename it in honor of Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the G-Drive are anticipating the Field Street Entrance to be the one most used due to its proximity to the University Ridge Government Complex Parking Lot, which is anticipated to be the primary parking area most often used for games.

The city of Greenville will be pitching in with upgraded sidewalks, street-side and bump-out parking, and new trees and landscaping all along Field Street and Bradshaw Street between the ballpark and University Ridge. It should be yet another very nice pedestrian area for downtown! :thumbsup:

I've had a couple of inquiries regarding tomorrow's Ballpark Tour.

If you're one of the ones I've got listed to attend, here are the details one last time if you've still got questions about where, when, etc.

We'll be meeting at 4:00pm ET in the Parking Lot at the Vardry Executive Center (pictured below), which is located between Vardry Street and Field Street. Since Field Street is closed off, it's best to turn off of Augusta Street onto Vardry Street and then turn right into the parking lot from Vardry Street.

103605337_22e73c71c6.jpg

Because this is a construction zone:

• Please wear shoes that you don't mind getting muddy/dirty. -_-
  • If you have a hard hat of your own, please bring it! :thumbsup:
  • Please leave pets and young children at home. :lol:

While alot of people may not think its nessesary for the city to be spending money around the stadium(ballpark) I think it is a very smart idea this ballpark will bring alot of new development with it and it is crucial to connect everything together so the public feels comfortable in walking around to these developments.Downtown is expanding like it or not and you dont want to leave out areas by not connecting them .

It was nice to meet people on this website, but since it was so cold, I am not sure all of the people I really met. Hopefully next time we meet it won't be so strained, cold or quick... I would like to extend an invitation to those that visited the site: I like to go out to Chiefs, Wings and Firewater on Congaree at least once a week... anyone interested?

Archived