SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep....below is a site plan from Charlotte Center City Partner's development slideshow (flipped to correspond with the rendering). The rendering I provided would from where the Design Center of the Carolina's is on Camden.

post-1289-1182875383_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1182875383_thumb.jpg

Its a car plaza, you can see the parking spaces. Would have been great for the building to front the entire length of Tremont, then there could have been retail for that entire length. Make the parking entrance through a single cutout, not a roundabout in the center of the building...

Do you know the name of the building and where exactly it's located on S. Union?

I've been to DC, but mainly just around the mall area, Capitol, Union Station, White House, Old Post Office, ventured over to the National Cathedral and Zoo. I wish I could explore the residential areas of DC more some day so I can get a better idea of their infill.

Seattle definitely has some of the best residential midrises I've ever seen - awesome urban design. I snap some pics in August when I'm out there.

I took a little drive down S. Mint away from the stadium this morning. There is so much empty space and potential for a walkable area of locally owned shops and cafes on this street. Several condo projects are going up surrounding this area. I noticed a place called Allure which was new to me had opened along this stretch. I think it's a bar and grill of some sort. It looked pretty dark and desolate though. Maybe it's already closed down :dontknow:

I absolutely agree that this stretch of road has some of the best urban potential in the city....a good mix of urban buildings (many already renovated) and lots of open parcels that could be developed, and its between downtown and a recovering neighborhood plus close to the rail.....one day that part of the city will be a true gem (well, I hope so)

The sidewalks and streetscape need a lot of help, though. It's got a lot of the same problems that Graham St. does going away from the stadium, especially the sense that you're just a bit too close to fast-moving traffic. Not to mention that there's no shade at all, which is horrible on 95 degree days.

I absolutely agree that this stretch of road has some of the best urban potential in the city....a good mix of urban buildings (many already renovated) and lots of open parcels that could be developed, and its between downtown and a recovering neighborhood plus close to the rail.....one day that part of the city will be a true gem (well, I hope so)

Correct, it was one of the first shocks to my system when we started looking in Charlotte. All the brokers have become so jaded riding this wave of higher and higher prices that they quote land by the square foot instead of by the acre. You know the land is overpriced when they want to show you comps that are what others are asking instead of what others have actually paid and when they quote square foot instead of per acre. Because you know, $40 per square foot just sounds so much more palatable than $1,742,000 per acre.

Brian

Charlotte_Native,

Can you give an update of the rumored dessertery at the corner of Park and Tryon? I haven't seen any action at the site.

Also, I noticed that the Park Avenue Plaza project lists a "wine bar" as one of its tenants, which I'm wondering will affect the dessertery plans.

Gracias!

Anyone heard anything at all about "C". For months earthmovers were all over the site now they have moved out and it is looking like all that action was just staging for work on the light Rail. The site plan on the website is radically different than the original one but at the present rate, it hardly seems like they have any intention of developing it at all.

What about the Trolley... wasn't it supposed to reopen about 6 months in advance of the Light Rail? You would think it would be running by now.

I was driving through SouthEnd today and passed by the Blue Sky project site at South and Ideal Way. They've started doing some site work, and they've named the project SouthHaus. That name kind of seems odd - like they're trying to do a rip off of the Steelhaus project in PM. Interesting marketing ploy. I looked online at their site plan, which is hard to see, as it looks like the copier had a blowout, so I guess they'll post better renderings soon. I wonder if they're going to try to copy Steelhaus in design as well. On their website they claim to be building the "Lofts of 2050". I suppose we'll soon see how this turns out.

O, and is it just me or did the West Morehead project thread totally disappear?

Yes, but not the 1930s Car 85. The feds wouldn't approve it for running on the same line with an LRT due to safety concerns. The modern cars are just classically shaped light rail vehicles, so there isn't a problem with running it.

Archived