SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then there are 2 8-story buildings in the works. The one I've been talking about is directly across from Phat Burrito and from the Park Ave site. I've not seen or heard any plans for the buildings where Niche, American Apparel, Living Room, Borealis, etc are. They all have solid long leases. I'm pretty certain they are there to stay.

The owner of the lot in question is Gaines Brown, he owns a graphics company in the newer (maybe 80's?) building across from Niche.

Am I the only one that can see the image?

Anyway, yeah, it was the first "self-service" grocery store in Charlotte. Before the A&P you had to give the grocer your list and he would go pull your items for you. The building is old, very cool and could be an amazing addition to the retail portion along the rail line.

I know Gaines, and I can tell you he won't develop the lot in question unless someone comes to him with a really good idea. Gaines is very invested in South End (in more ways than one) and won't be the type of person to just sell it to make a buck or take the first development idea that comes along. That lot has on occasion been targeted for an expansion of his offices, so I feel certain that he'd want to do something that stays in the character of the area.

Next time I run into him I'll ask him.

Am I the only one that can see the image?

Anyway, yeah, it was the first "self-service" grocery store in Charlotte. Before the A&P you had to give the grocer your list and he would go pull your items for you. The building is old, very cool and could be an amazing addition to the retail portion along the rail line.

I know Gaines, and I can tell you he won't develop the lot in question unless someone comes to him with a really good idea. Gaines is very invested in South End (in more ways than one) and won't be the type of person to just sell it to make a buck or take the first development idea that comes along. That lot has on occasion been targeted for an expansion of his offices, so I feel certain that he'd want to do something that stays in the character of the area.

Next time I run into him I'll ask him.

Click this link for the image: http://www.groceteria.com/charlotte/gallery/images/8.jpg

(I don't think many people can see the image, so it must be a setting on most people's machines.)

I've thought about creating a map for South End. I had one at some point. If someone PMs me a list of projects and their cross-streets, I'll create a map. Most of them I probably know, but not in a comprehensive mental map like I have of uptown.

Here is an older version from about a year ago: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry284903

I was really disappointed about the trolley not stopping at Park Ave. That was a very signature stop for the trolley system. I guess the Bland stop is close enough, but it is still a shame that we can't just have everything we've always expected to have.

As horrified as I am about all the fast food joints going up, the Chic-fil-a actually looks like it will be a fairly attractive building. They have the standard EIFS, but they also have nice looking stacked stone. I'll still never go there, but at least it isn't as hideously ugly as the new BK.

Something more in keeping with the area's TOD aspirations would have been nice.I am dreading the Chick Fil A traffic jams during the week. I really don't think their food is that good but they have quite a following in this town. The backups caused during lunch hour from cars spilling out onto Woodlawn and Randolph waiting to get into the drive thru is ridiculous. I just don't get it.

That reflects the problem that I see with Charlotte's current density. It's dense enough that the cost of land forces developers to build on small parcels, and limit parking (and in this case drive-thru space) but not dense enough that a business can be supported with foot traffic.

Over the last couple of weeks, and I've been posting this in other threads, Charlotte really needs to "urbanize" with mandates from planning, or it should downzone everything, and let it sprawl endlessly, with lots of nodes of development. It's caught inbetween (much like Atlanta) and isn't dense enough to be urban, but it is dense enough to have "big city problem" such as traffic, pollution, etc. I really this this in-between density is the worst of both worlds, not the best.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

The Morgan Group will be starting their 4-story apartment building on Hawkins this summer. It will have 331 units. No mention of retail :(

Also, in next week's print CBJ, it appears that the Bonded Distribution site will be developed as 300 apartments by Colonial, everyone's favorite Renwick / Enclave developer.

ALSO, it appears that Citiline will be launching a mini-restuarant complex at South and Remount. I couldn't tell from the CBJ article where it was exactly, but my guess is where the antiques/jewelry shop currently stands in the SW corner of the intersection.

Blvd. Centro has applied for a rezoning to wrap the Kingston site (Camden Rd between West and Kingston) The rezoning requests 200 units and 75,000 sq. ft. of commercial space. FINALLY. That sounds like a lot of retail/small office space at a key corner.

Ed Keller's Trans-Matic Transmissions at the corner for South Blvd and Ideal Way will be coming down very soon to make way for the Blue Sky midrise condo project. They just received the demo permit for this building on Thursday.

P8102012.JPG

Blvd. Centro has applied for a rezoning to wrap the Kingston site (Camden Rd between West and Kingston) The rezoning requests 200 units and 75,000 sq. ft. of commercial space. FINALLY. That sounds like a lot of retail/small office space at a key corner.

The wave of redevelopment in South End continues. This time it is an update on the Dinerstein project on S Tryon. They have now gotten demolition permits to level everything on the block bounded by S Tryon, Bland, College, and Catherine. This would include to old Carroll Alignment building and a used car dealership.

P2094650.JPG

The plan is to put in a midrise apartment building with about 270 units called The Millenium - South End

Archived