SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

It is being reported in next week's print CBJ that the Uptown Cabaret will likely soon be sold to a developer. Lichtin (who is developing Torringdon in South Charlotte) is named as a possible buyer.

I think its an amazing spot for a development, though some uptown views might be obscured if Ghazi does built across the street.

I know the owners of the UC also own a bunch of adjacent surface lots (and I think the Ascot Inn), so I wonder if they are all being sold as one package.

I also think it was rumored a while back that the building across Tryon from the UC (the one with the Overstock Market) will likely be redeveloped into apartments.

EDIT - Hopefully they all have big plans for these parcels, because these are a significant portion of the UMUD (no height restriction) parcels located outside 277.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is being reported in next week's print CBJ that the Uptown Cabaret will likely soon be sold to a developer. Lichtin (who is developing Torringdon in South Charlotte) is named as a possible buyer.

I think its an amazing spot for a development, though some uptown views might be obscured if Ghazi does built across the street.

I know the owners of the UC also own a bunch of adjacent surface lots (and I think the Ascot Inn), so I wonder if they are all being sold as one package.

I also think it was rumored a while back that the building across Tryon from the UC (the one with the Overstock Market) will likely be redeveloped into apartments.

EDIT - Hopefully they all have big plans for these parcels, because these are a significant portion of the UMUD (no height restriction) parcels located outside 277.

Demand issues could lead to a big price correction in the future, but for now, it's "have UMUD, will sell for high-rise"....if the demand for high-rise condos drops off soon, there are going to be a lot of people with lots of expensive dirt and cement.

I think every property owner's expectation is that if they have UMUD, it's the perfect spot for a high-rise, whether or not the market can support it.

Ultimately, I don't have a large problem with that, because Charlotte is not Houston, and there are only so many place a high-rise can go, but the trade-off is we will probably be staring a lot of empty parcels until the next development boom, because there is probably few high-rise condo buildings left in this cycle.

Great point. I'm really getting worried about the pace of all this development. I just don't see how we can sustain all this growth whilst just about every other Real Estate market in the US is imploding. At the very least, you have to believe there will be a modest spill-over effect? yet the whole city seems to be moving on with the "its different here" mentality. I keep looking at all the lots being leveled all along the South Corridor and wondering exactly how many of the developments on paper are ever going to become reality. That's why "C" is so interesting. It really is the prime spot in the South End and yet it has to be painfully obvious by now that CD is in no hurry to get that thing built. As for the Uptown Cabaret, that parking lot is jammed packed all day every day. Hard to believe that the economics favor selling out for the RE value at this point!

Great point. I'm really getting worried about the pace of all this development. I just don't see how we can sustain all this growth whilst just about every other Real Estate market in the US is imploding. At the very least, you have to believe there will be a modest spill-over effect? yet the whole city seems to be moving on with the "its different here" mentality. I keep looking at all the lots being leveled all along the South Corridor and wondering exactly how many of the developments on paper are ever going to become reality. That's why "C" is so interesting. It really is the prime spot in the South End and yet it has to be painfully obvious by now that CD is in no hurry to get that thing built. As for the Uptown Cabaret, that parking lot is jammed packed all day every day. Hard to believe that the economics favor selling out for the RE value at this point!

David, the owner of Uptown Cabaret has done everything but sign on the line to complete the deal with Grubb. The plans are for a multi-use building about 10 stories tall. The first floor will be retail, the 2nd and 3rd will be offices, and 4-10 will be residential. The plan is for that little Tryon connector that makes an island to be cut out and have the building take up most of the "new" block.

I agree that cutting out that connector would be bad for traffic, and aesthetics.....it's sometimes nice to have some quirky angles.....perhaps Grubb (or whoever) could build above the connector and allow the road to remain....now that would be interesting, though expensive. I'll complain more about this idea if it appears closer to reality.

Assuming there is a Trump Tower development, the new Wachoiva development, and the AACC at that intersection, I don't think it's going to be an easy right hand turn on Stonewall...HOPEFULLY, there will be lots of pedestrian traffic. It would make much more sense to square off the block between the Uptown Cabaret and Ascot Inn, and have the right turn/left turn there, as opposed to inside the loop.

Also, you could always build a building above a road, or sink the road. I know it's expensive but it is an alternative. I think traffic would be too busy to just get rid of the connector and have turns onto Morehead and onto College. Will be interesting to see how much money they want to invest in this area for a road, then I think we'll get a very unique product in the end, depending on the $. I'd also like to see some nice curved roads or different paths to help supplement our uptown grid.

OK, I went and got some clarification on the offshoot from Tryon and the plans for it. Currently, the road branches off from northbound Tryon and goes over to begin College St. They are going to remove the Tryon St. connection part of it to square off the lot and give more room for the new building that I mentioned earlier. College St. will then go all the way to Carson Blvd. and will begin there instead and that will help relieve some of the Tryon St./Morehead St. congestion hopefully.

Google Map of Tryon/Morehead/College St. Intersection

The Chipotle Mexican Grill on South Blvd is opening soon, I dont know the exact date, but they finally put it up on their website. its at the corner of McDonald Ave and South Blvd. They had one open down in Matthews but it was such a haul for me to get there. now there is one close to me again (when i lived in DC i would go there once or twice a week). It looks very cool with its all glass front and such. If you cannot tell I am very excited, try it, I think even for a "chain" it is the best americanized mexican ever, sooo good. :)

The Chipotle Mexican Grill on South Blvd is opening soon, I dont know the exact date, but they finally put it up on their website. its at the corner of McDonald Ave and South Blvd. They had one open down in Matthews but it was such a haul for me to get there. now there is one close to me again (when i lived in DC i would go there once or twice a week). It looks very cool with its all glass front and such. If you cannot tell I am very excited, try it, I think even for a "chain" it is the best americanized mexican ever, sooo good. :)

According to the CBJ,Design Center of the Carolinas was sold to a Florida real estate investment/development firm.

The article mentions this, which I found interesting.

Ram Realty Services plans to build additional commercial space and multifamily housing on the three-building site.

"The Design Center serves as a hub for the Charlotte design community, and we are looking forward to bringing added value through the development of residential and commercial components that will further support the area's growth," says Casey Cummings, president of Ram Realty Services.

According to the CBJ,Design Center of the Carolinas was sold to a Florida real estate investment/development firm.

The article mentions this, which I found interesting.

Does anyone know anymore about this? What building site is there? Did the purchase include the surface lot across Hawkins were Camden Square Village East was planned, or possibly the UMUD parcel across Worthington along Camden?

The Observer has an article today telling about the Design Center of the Carolinas being bought by a Florida company named Ram Realty Services. The purchase includes about 2.6 acres of surface parking lots that could be developed around the three-building, 188,146- square-foot complex of office, showroom and studio space. The property is off Camden Road, Worthington Avenue and West Boulevard.

Archived