SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Woodlawn north, it looks like a lot of old buildings will be coming down soon. In 2 or 3 years, it will not look like the same place. Looks like more money will be spent in South End for new development that what the LRT Blue line cost.

Most of these project are on large lots up to a few blocks big, The Lowe's project covers 2 blocks.

Good to see that moving. Tremont is picking up speed. A narrow 3-story office building will be going up right behind Tyber Creek, and demolition permits were just issued to take down the Ferguson warehouse where Hanover is planning the 11-story apt tower.

I think the project I'm most anticipating though is the Heath Partners project at Cleveland and Worthington.

The city estimated / hoped for at least 2000 - 2500 units to be built between 277 and Scaleybark within 5 years to bring back in property tax revenue to pay back much of the costs over a period of up to ten years. There are 6000 proposed units to be built IN THE NEXT 3 years. Property taxes will easily cover the costs of this line much quicker than anticipated.

The city estimated / hoped for at least 2000 - 2500 units to be built between 277 and Scaleybark within 5 years to bring back in property tax revenue to pay back much of the costs over a period of up to ten years. There are 6000 proposed units to be built IN THE NEXT 3 years. Property taxes will easily cover the costs of this line much quicker than anticipated.

Transit does not pay for itself...we hear this all the time and it is true. Fares do not cover operating costs. See UP's own TransitFacts.com for a primer. The good news is this that this is not relevant. What's relevant is that all transportation modes cost money. Which are more efficient in the long term?....that is the relevant question (transit, in case you're wondering).

The 6000 quote from me came from a couple of sources, those I spoke with also at the Vision Awards :whistling: as well as someone in the economic development office for the city who is assigned to the southrail corridor. The 6000 is an estimate that includes existing condos and towns within a 1 - 2 block east and west portion of the corridor going down the line. It does depend on 2 projects that are in the drawing/idea stages and might or might not materialize (I think they will). I think we all know, and can simply tally the projects that exist and have been announced, that the 2000 - 2500 unit count is significantly low.

Some interesting points Conformity (although it made me do alot more thinking then I'd prefer on a sunday morning...).

But AAAAHHHH.....Builder M's market will never evaporate and shouldn't. My contemporaries and I haven't really figured out how to serve a large percentage of the folks who live in the burbs...specifically families. The burbs will continue to get huge amounts of that business unless you're a family can pay half a million or more to be in one of Charlotte's premier intown neighborhoods or (you can pioneer for less). For those who live in the burbs and build in the burbs, no one's indicting you...the burbs are necessary. The two things sit on a shelf side by side. "The Burbs are Necessary" "Urbanization is More Efficient than Sprawl". Reconciling those two things will continue to be a challenge for baby Charlotte.

There was a grocery as one of the plans for the Scaleybark project, which we will unfortunatley have to keep waiting on to see if it materializes. For me, that's a big driver in where I will locate. Even when I lived in car-centric University city, I was within walking distance of the 24 hour Harris Teeter on Mallard Creek road...

There is a (bleah :sick:) Food Lion on South Blvd, but it's unfortunately in between the Archdale and Tyvola stations, and not very convenient to either.

Just drove by the location across from the Gin Mill, I think it used to be a Used car dealership or something. It was really tiny. Anyway it is now rubble. Any ideas of what they are about to do with this land? I've been waiting for that eye sore to go down for a long time.

They are about to replace it with another eye-sore....well, a 4-story fake stucco apartment building, with no retail. Look back through the thread, and the Dinerstein project that is talked about is what is going on this site.

I have never seen a 20 year apartment teardown. Usually the owners will squeeze 40 to 60 years out of one.

Things don't get developed as soon as it's economically feasible. Heck, look at Marsh Properties. They know they've got some prime land. But what's there, is generating income... they can wait to see how much better their position gets.

I have never seen a 20 year apartment teardown. Usually the owners will squeeze 40 to 60 years out of one.

Fourth Ward Square becomes Citadin

Old Jefferson apartment building becomes Jefferson Square

Olmstead Park becomes condos

Eastover Glen becomes condos

I try not to drive past Wendover, so examples escape me beyond these.

It was nice to see folks milling about during this past weekend's Art&Soul Southend Festival. The Camden corridor is a great location for such events and should be utilized more often. The independent shops along there need as much help as they can get with extra foot traffic.

Archived