Spartanburg Journal Discussion

Spartan

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if I would necessarily consider the Spartanburg office market expensive. Perhaps the lack of available Class A space has allowed some of the Class B property owners to look for "top of the market" rent, when they aren't really "top of the market" buildings.

High end office space is even harder to come by in Spartanburg than it is in Greenville. The new 100% leased Carolina First building is proof in that. It will be interesting to see how much, if any, of the new Johnson building actually gets a chance to hit the market rather than being pre-leased.

Interesting points, breed. I hadn't thought of the second Johnson build as a litmus test of sorts, but you may be right.

However, the Extended Stay America building is only half way leased, and the BB&T supposedly has a couple of empty floors, plus the lobby space. Then there's the Broadwalk building too. HOWEVER- perhaps the problem could be that those spaces are too small, and companies coming in want more space than that? Perhaps its time for a larger class-A office structure in Spartanburg? The Spartanburg Journal does keep hinting at something "big" being in the works.... Thoughts anyone?

OUCH! Did you miss the story about the Economic Oversight Commitee? This is a group of 12 Spartanburg business leaders working to create a unified plan for economic development. The problem in the past was a large-scale employer would look at Spartanburg, but there was no unified front to explain all that the county has to give. This group should help spur a lot of growth. And without retyping TBAs....there is definitely something interesting happening at the old Home Depot site. You guys will be pretty surprised if the deal that I hear is being worked on goes through...

Also, state money has been pledged for Chapman Cultural Center....will see if it comes through....whew.

All of this seems to say that a big, mixed-use project would be perfect for Spartanburg at this point. I think it's obvious that the downtown market can sustain some new class A office space, another hotel, and some moderately-priced residential units. Place it on the Renaissance site, and voila!

OUCH! Did you miss the story about the Economic Oversight Commitee? This is a group of 12 Spartanburg business leaders working to create a unified plan for economic development. The problem in the past was a large-scale employer would look at Spartanburg, but there was no unified front to explain all that the county has to give. This group should help spur a lot of growth. And without retyping TBAs....there is definitely something interesting happening at the old Home Depot site. You guys will be pretty surprised if the deal that I hear is being worked on goes through...

Also, state money has been pledged for Chapman Cultural Center....will see if it comes through....whew.

Is this the current edition? My comment was directed at last weeks, and I don't recall that being in there. It did have a couple of articles that I wasnt able to skim though.

This group sounds like a good idea, but it seem like something the Upstate Alliance or the Chamber of Commerce should have done by now. Why do we have those groups around if they arent going to do this?

Hmm... I'm guiess thing the Home Depot will be some sort of town center style thing. Maybe a mixes used project. There needs to be a connection from Camelot to Powell Mill Road in whatever they do. What kind of time frame do you think we will be hearing some news on this one?

Boo dunkin donuts. I'm a Krispy Kreme man to the end!

Its about time we get a freaking Bloom. Seneca has one for cryin' out loud. I'm assuming it will go on the Westside somewhere.

I posted about Spartanburg sports in the SC section, but with litte response. With USC Upstate moving to Division 1 next year, I think that the Upstate - Wofford rivalry could be a really great thing for our city. We will be the only city in SC with 2 division 1 schools except Charleston. The crosstown rivalry would be a huge asset to our city. Upstate doesnt have football just yet, but they are good at basketball... Wofford doesn't want to play though.

What did the article say?

Boo dunkin donuts. I'm a Krispy Kreme man to the end!

Its about time we get a freaking Bloom. Seneca has one for cryin' out loud. I'm assuming it will go on the Westside somewhere.

I posted about Spartanburg sports in the SC section, but with litte response. With USC Upstate moving to Division 1 next year, I think that the Upstate - Wofford rivalry could be a really great thing for our city. We will be the only city in SC with 2 division 1 schools except Charleston. The crosstown rivalry would be a huge asset to our city. Upstate doesnt have football just yet, but they are good at basketball... Wofford doesn't want to play though.

What did the article say?

Hey Spartan,

I will answer in reverse order:

Spa draws in more sporting events than any other county in the Upstate mainly because of the efforts of Team Spartanburg. Some of these events bring as much $1 million into the local economy. These are events such as the volleyball tourney this week, the Goalball Championships, Panthers, cycling etc. The sports money doesn't include high school or college events, which have some really big nights ( Dorman-Spartanburg, Byrnes games) And with the SoCon headquartered here, the racing history and cycling, Spartanburg has a pretty impressive sports menu.

Will USCU play in the SoCon, or do you think games with Wofford be more non-conference?

Expect to hear an announcement on Bloom location in the next round of store locations.

The story goes into the fact that Krispy Kreme has always been the Southern dougnut chain, and DD was the northeastern chain. However, DD is focusing more on Starbucks nowadays and the sales of coffee. Their first new store will be in Greer on Wade Hampton, but do have plans for downtown stores in all the cities in the Upstate.

guess not^

Anyway, there are some interesting things in the Journal this week. There is a great article on chain stores, and the lack thereof in the Upstate. It was focused on the Upstate as a whole, and not just Spartanburg, so I assume it was published in Greenville and Anderson's "Journal" too. We're already discussing that one here.

the TBA section has some exiting tidbits....

• C. Edwards Cigar Store opened on Church St near the Square (I still don't know where that one is)

• Union Street heading out of downtown has a lot of under developed and undeveloped land. With so much focus on Pine Stree- expect to see a move towards Union Street.

• Downtown Master Plan work continues... Expect to see brochures on the new Urban Code soon, and Council to start looking at it in May.

The Union Street idea is one that I find most exciting. With that new skate park going there (first public one in the Upstate) I think that could help improve the image of the area. I want to see Union Street become a litte Vista (like Columbia's but much smaller) entertainment district in the future. All of those warehouses could really create a cool effect- particualrly if they have wider sidewalks as te result of a road diet.....

Archived