Spartanburg Journal Discussion

Spartan

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jourbal is available in alot of places, the porblem seems to be gettin gthem before they run out. You would have to be fairly diligent in getting them before the weekend.

I see them all the time in shops and restaurants downtown. Also in grocery stores and restaurants in other parts of town. You can also have it delivered.

Anderson does need some attention, but we don't have very many regular members from that area, but if anyone wants to volunteer for that it woudl also be appreciated.

That propoerty announcement is interesting. I think it is that old building that used to be a motorcycle repair shop. Its lot is also used as parking for Papa Sams.

Also, USC Upstate is to start on its new Health Education Complex on Aug 26.

Front

Upstate_HEC_front.jpg

Back

Upstate_HEC_back.jpg

Here is the USC Upstate master plan. The HEC is located in the upper half towards the middle. It is the largest buildin that looks sort of like an upside down "U."

USCS_masterplan.jpg

It also highlights the work being done to the old Duke Power building on E Main St that is being converted for use by the Mary Black foundation.

Another interesting but less important tidbit is the article about those old shops in Glendale. I have been there before, and those could be some really cool art shops, or even a coffee place. I think that would do very well there.

I found a copy of last week's journal....

[*]It talks about a new group called "The Friends of Duncan Park" whose goal is to refurbish and repair the ballpark.

Duncan98.jpg

There some talk about getting the stadium on the Nation Register of Historic Places, which would open up some funding to help get it repaired.

Since this is a worthy cause I will give you their email address in case you are interested in helping out: [email protected]

[*]The Breezeway Caf

Some items from todays journal

- A feud between the bloodbank and the medical society may end up with both parties selling the building on Dunbar/Main and splitting the profit. Both sides apparantly think they own the building.

- article on the new research partnership between the Gibbs cancer center and MD Anderson.

- article on the upstate housing boom.

TBA:

- complex of shops just north of Morgan Square specializing in women's clothes

- the Carraige house wine shop downtown is just waiting on the permits

- Crossroads coffee on Church hasn't annouced an opening date yet

Thanks for posting that info! I am sort of glad that the blood bank might move. That is not an efficient use of space, and the building it is in could be better utilzed. Maybe something large will move in there and create some foot traffic on that end of Main St.

Is anyone interesting in helping to maintain a Spartaburg Journal update much like the one in Greenville? I would volunteer, but I am going off to grad school next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish you much luck; I start my grad program on Tuesday...going back to the WU (Winthrop), getting my masters in biology. What about you Sparty? ;)

I have often debated with myself about giving that information. I have this thing about telling people I dont know information that could potentially lead them to me. So its not so much you guys as it is those who are not members here that I am concerned about. Most of you would find it extremely cool though. My anonymity is important to me :) I will say that you guys might not be seeing quite as much of me in the next few months, because things are about to kick into high gear.

I have often debated with myself about giving that information. I have this thing about telling people I dont know information that could potentially lead them to me. So its not so much you guys as it is those who are not members here that I am concerned about. Most of you would find it extremely cool though. My anonymity is important to me :) I will say that you guys might not be seeing quite as much of me in the next few months, because things are about to kick into high gear.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And it seems like it would be for good reason. several Detroit forumers, for example, have had a problem with one of their forumers being a stalker of the others.

You'll still post here some, right? :cry:

Back in town. here is a couple of TBAs:

Chelsea's, a ladies boutique" has opened at 200 East Main. Grand opening later

Friendship Baptist, right beside Golden Corral at Westgate, has been purshased. The members will move to a building on hayne Street. Look for another restaurant/business at the site which sits across from the Dorman Center.

The old Smith Music store downtown on Kennedy/Church street is about to come down. Church Builders occupy it now, but are looking for anothere location. The developers have yet to disclose what is happening at this prime spot.

I hate that another historic building is going down. It better be something good.

Will the church lot be coimbined with the empty lot that is inbetween it Golden Corral?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never liked that building. It was just a block building painted grey. Not much architecturally.

I don't know about the church. It is only a 1/2 acre lot, so maybe they will combine it with the empty lot.

On a different note, I've got to get a hold of a digital camera and do some posting. You wouldn't recognize the old Duke Power building.

I look forward to your photos :)

It isn't an attractive bulding, I agree, but its paint could be stripped. I think its just brick. It would be a great place for a small restaurant one day, with outdoor seating :) But is guess it is not to be. I hope that whatever goes there will be something that fits in the with downtown area, and not a suburban style offic building.

Archived