The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

We walked back via Westminster and his outlook on the ngihbourhood soured considerably. No way he wanted to walk to work Downcity through the area that sits between it and the Armory.

I think that stretch of Wesminster is pretty unsightly, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to walk it. I just wish my company would move downtown to I could ride my bike to work. Alas, they are way too financially conservative to ever give up our cheap low tax suburban digs for a building in Pvd. Pfft!

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that stretch of Wesminster is pretty unsightly, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to walk it. I just wish my company would move downtown to I could ride my bike to work. Alas, they are way too financially conservative to ever give up our cheap low tax suburban digs for a building in Pvd. Pfft!

I'm new to Providence, and Rhode Island as well. However, I've heard of other cities who offer tax breaks to entice companies and smaller businesses to take up shop downtown. Does Providence offer anything like that?

I think that stretch of Wesminster is pretty unsightly, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to walk it.

I think it was less of a fear response and more of a not wanting to spend ones life walking through a neighbourhood littered with gas stations, chop shops, and the occassional crack house twice or more a day. Although he does leave for work before dawn, and walking through that area in the dark does not exactly instill one with feelings of being safe.

Spoke with someone yesterday who works for Shawmut construction. They are doing a lot of work inside the Armory for the filming of Disney's Underdog movie, set to complete in 2007. Apparently, the deal is that it needs to be completed by January for Disney to start filming.

Personally I had no idea this movie was filming here, did anyone? I searched for it on here, but could not find it.

Spoke with someone yesterday who works for Shawmut construction. They are doing a lot of work inside the Armory for the filming of Disney's Underdog movie, set to complete in 2007. Apparently, the deal is that it needs to be completed by January for Disney to start filming.

Personally I had no idea this movie was filming here, did anyone? I searched for it on here, but could not find it.

I think we discussed it briefly when it was announced (maybe in the "Brotherhood" thread?). There were a couple stories about it on projo.com . It looks like an interesting project. Anything that gets people into the Armory Building (even if it is temporary) is ok by me.

Liam

Shawmut specializes in that kind of 'up against a deadline' work, they also specialize in historic preservation/renovation, so it should come off on time, and be sensitive to the Armory's historic status.

yup ;)

Shawmut specializes in that kind of 'up against a deadline' work, they also specialize in historic preservation/renovation, so it should come off on time, and be sensitive to the Armory's historic status.

yup ;)

Yes, the guy was involved in doing the same type of work in the Pawtucket Armory which is why they where picked.

Guess I missed the Cranston St Armory line in that article. Well like Liam mentions, anything going on there is good.

The same guy I spoke to from Shawmut was raving about the Armory neighborhood. He lives in North Attleboro and said he did not even know the area existed. Talked about how the Broadway and Westminster entranceways from Downcity never even give a clue as to what exists beyond them. Also noted how sad it was that the Cranston St itself was really scary, yet walk one block north and you are in a great neighborhood.

I know we talk all the time about these same issues, hearing them from people outside the area really drive it home.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I tried to go back and see if it had been brought up... Does anyone know the story concerning the empty storefront at the SE corner of Knight and B'way? We would love to see a real coffee shop in the neighborhood (think: White Electric with more comfortable seating).

Everytime I pass that spot, I can't help but think that it would make a great location for a coffee shop (w/some serious renovation, of course).

Is this the place that recently got tagged? Or the one down on the other side of Julians, next to the Sunoco? Both of those places would be a great addition to the neighborhood if they could be renovated and converted into a restaurant/cafe. I shake my head every weekend as I pass Julians and Nicks and see the throngs of people waiting to get in. If a place just got their spillover they would thrive. We definitely have the people in the neighboorhood to support it. Almost makes me want to open up a place.

Perhaps when Nick's moves into the bigger space it will suck some of that up. Anyone know what the deal is with that? No work has been done forever on that space.

Is this the place that recently got tagged? Or the one down on the other side of Julians, next to the Sunoco? Both of those places would be a great addition to the neighborhood if they could be renovated and converted into a restaurant/cafe. I shake my head every weekend as I pass Julians and Nicks and see the throngs of people waiting to get in. If a place just got their spillover they would thrive. We definitely have the people in the neighboorhood to support it. Almost makes me want to open up a place.

Perhaps when Nick's moves into the bigger space it will suck some of that up. Anyone know what the deal is with that? No work has been done forever on that space.

Yep - the one that was recently tagged. It's right on the corner, and appears to be a nice size space (I've peeked in the windows). In my mind, the ideal spot wouldn't even be direct competition with Julians/Nick's (as they do such a good job already). Rather, it would be a nice complement - for example, while you're waiting for a table at Julian's, you can walk down the block to my coffee shop to escape the cold and have a warm drink.

If I had even one ounce of financial savvy, I would look into doing this. I know my hubby and I would be at that coffee shop daily. Sigh...

As for Nick's move, it does seem that not much has been going on down in the new space lately. But I was hoping that, perhaps, they were working indoors??

I hope they are working indoors, but I really dont think so. I never see any contractor trucks or anybody going in and out. I could be missing it, but I live around the corner and never see anyone around. I dont get into Nick's much or i would ask.

I agree that space is definitely prime for a coffee shop/cafe. With Daily Bread gone, and White Electric down the other way, the area screams for something. Looks like that space used to be a liquor store/drugstore. There aren't any signs advertising the space as being for lease/sale. I wonder what is going on with it.

This is from page four or five of this thread posted by Oak on Spetember 9 05, shedding some light on the Daily Bread:

"I had coffee with a former staff member last week. He said Daily Bread hasn't gone under, but the taxes on the building had become so high it was no longer feasible to use the Broadway location as the production kitchen. (There is a HUGE brick oven production kitchen behind the storefront.) Daily Bread is now subleasing production space from a commercial bakery in Warwick. The storefront in Wayland Square will remain open. The building owner is now looking to lease the building to another commercial baker."

The space is still lit up and almost all the fixtures are in place. Last time I walked by there, the specials were still written in chalk. Big "For Lease" signs on this, but I doubt anything will go in soon. It really is a big space and should be renovated into a restaurant to make use of that kind of brick oven.

Check out this post from Bostonist and The Somerville Arts Council for some photos and info on The Holiday Illuminations Tour. I think it would be pretty neat if WBNA organized something like this for the West Broadway/Armory area next year. They could have voting for best display and collect Toys For Tots or something at the WBNA headquarters. When I lived in Queens there were some awesome holiday light displays, I haven't really seen any in Providence (even the lights over Atwells weren't put up this year :( )

I agree, this would be very cool, expecially along Boradway with all the beautiful victorian houses. Perhaps when Broadway is made over into an "Historic Main Street", this would be better poised to hgappen and bring people down the street. If anything, I'll drop by the WBNA office and make the suggestion.

In other Armory news, has anyone seen the Funeral home next to Norma's lately? They have put up quite a frame in the doorway, almost looking like they will split the single entrance into two? The frame seemed pretty substantial to be just a brace for the porch roof.

In other Armory news, has anyone seen the Funeral home next to Norma's lately? They have put up quite a frame in the doorway, almost looking like they will split the single entrance into two? The frame seemed pretty substantial to be just a brace for the porch roof.

I came really close to rear-ending someone today on the way to work trying to get a better look at it.

Well, in two weeks I'll have to change the "Fox Point" under my name in UP to "Armory." Just bought a townhouse in the condo complex on Sycamore and Willow streets. I can't wait to move in, I'm really looking forward to being in the neighborhood, and to owning a place of course. Thanks to the people who've given advice on this area. I'm sure I'll get involved with the WBNA and do whatever I can to help out the neighborhood.

(Not that this is a huge "West End/Broadway Happening" but I'm not sure where else to post this.)

I used to live on Willow and I really liked it there. Enjoy the neighborhood, and get a large italian grinder at the HudsonSt. Market and try to eat the whole thing for me :)

Impossible!

The Hudson St sandwiches are HUGE!

I've been in a couple of the units at the Willow St complex. Very Nice! Good luck with the new digs.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know what is going into the renovated house next to the Tarro Funeral Home on Broadway? They are really doing a nice job with it and I imagine it would be another professional office but it would be nice if it was a nice restaurant. The new front windows would be a great place for a dining room.

Also, noticed the "For Lease" signs were taken down on DePasquale pharmacy building, perhaps a new tenant?

• 2 weeks later...

I was not aware that the Armory Revival Company had a webpage. I believe it was recently put up. Good overview and pics of past and current projects.

http://www.armoryrevival.com/main.html

Awesome, I've been looking for a website for them for ages, it's about time!

The 383 West Fountain page projects the project starting in April of this year, and being complete in April '07. If they can be ready mid-'07, I'm totally living there!

Are we all familiar with 52 Valley, I don't think I know about that one. It says it's starting in Oct. '05? Who's got the scoop? Is that The Plant?

Archived