The Armory Thread

Liamlunchtray

Even the nicests places get tagged, I saw a tag on the window at L'Epicureo Downcity on Saturday, it was gone when I walked by yesterday. The big factor is if it gets cleaned up quickly, taggers don't like seeing their tags wiped away, so if a property owner tackles it fast, they move elsewhere.

I don't understand how there are never any witnesses. I've seen some places tagged on main streets, highway overpasses, and busy intersections. It can't all happen @ night.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how there are never any witnesses. I've seen some places tagged on main streets, highway overpasses, and busy intersections. It can't all happen @ night.

You took the words right outta my mouth. I was just about to post a similar message. At Matthewson & Westminster St it had to be done between the hours of 3 - 6 am. Sneaky devils! :ph34r: What's the penalty/fine for this kind of activity anyway?

I also don't understand the lack of any witnesses...

The depressing thing about all of this is that it appears to be a peculiarly Providence problem right now... Friends of mine in Boston, NYC, etc say that this kind of "recreational" graffiti doesn't happen there. Certainly, when I lived in NYC, there was none of this going on and graffiti was unheard of in the Twin Cities.

The graffiti seems also to have moved from walls to windows of late.

I wonder if this is a RISD and local private school problem as recent articles seemed to have hypothesized...

- Garris

I also don't understand the lack of any witnesses...

The depressing thing about all of this is that it appears to be a peculiarly Providence problem right now... Friends of mine in Boston, NYC, etc say that this kind of "recreational" graffiti doesn't happen there. Certainly, when I lived in NYC, there was none of this going on and graffiti was unheard of in the Twin Cities.

The graffiti seems also to have moved from walls to windows of late.

I wonder if this is a RISD and local private school problem as recent articles seemed to have hypothesized...

- Garris

I wouldn't say that graffiti exists only in Providence. If when you say recreational, you mean meaningless initials and scribble, then I would agree it is an issue here. When kids get away with something, they continue to do it. This is probably the case as not all these cases are restricted to the wee hours. There is no way that somebody could hang on the exit 23 sign over 95 and get away without someone noticing. ( even if it was 3AM).....There should be a hotline set up for city residents through the media (Ch. 10,12,6 ) to report these things. Rather than setting aside task forces to clean up repeated graffiti, they should be controlling and preventing this from now on...The Providence Police need to have better response times when incidents occur. While I agree that the department has cleaned up quite a bit, more often than not, they seldom enforce many things that go on here. They hang out at Dunkin Donuts until something "serious" happens. They need to be held to higher standards.

New York and some other cities have a non-emergency police line (311 I think) that is used to report things like vandalism.

As for people seeing, it doesn't take long to do a tag, it can be done in mid step with a paint marker. It could happen right in front of you without anyone noticing.

One thing that should be done, is the RISD Store should only sell paint pens to people with RISD IDs, this won't stop the taggers who are RISD students, but will at least stop people who aren't RISD students. They also need to put the pens in an area where the staff can watch it and deter theft of the pens.

Update on a couple things:

1) Bldg on corner of Harrison appears to be getting closer to occupancy. Power is on and someone has been working late into the evening in the left hand retail unit. Vertical blinds <shudder> in the front window make it look like perhaps it will be a professional office of some sort rather than the yoga studio mentioned earlier. I looked in the windows of the other retail unit and it looks good. Very high ceilings and exposed pipes and ducts. I noticed the the residential units also have exposed ducts for more of a loft feel.

2) No sign of life at the Hair Salon/Funeral Home/Diner complex since the digging a few weeks back.

3) The other Funeral home across the street appears to be humming right along. A large "Funded by Bank RI" sign has gone up.

4) Mi Conuco has re-opened as Mi Ranchito and looks pretty much the same.

5) The parking lot at the WBNA project (across from Hdqrtrs) has been torn up, so maybe financing has been secured.

Liam

(Despite glaring at it repeatedly, the store front church is still standing)

The digging behind the "Hair Salon/Funeral Home/Diner complex" was to remove an underground oil tank, which was necessary for the project to move forward.

Speaking of graffiti and the norma/diner area, last week the covering on the diner was tagged. By the day's end, it was gone. Shows a good effort on the part of the owner to keep the area clean. I heard that the Normas place will be turned into a pub owned by the same person that owns Lilly Marlene's in Fed Hill.

I did not go down Westminster today, anyone see if the graffiti is still there on the cheesy physical therapy place?. Their choice of window treatments and sign boggle me. A brand new building, condos selling for 300k on top, and the retailer below chooses dorm room decor. I want to go in there and tell them they will need physical therapy if they dont change it. But I am not a violent person :D

Also, there were deliveries of materials to the Norma' s funeral home yesterday so I assume work is going to get started on that. About time.

The condo conversion on the parkside of westminster is still going strong. Tons of cars there everyday, a pretty big crew. Fire suppression system installers were pulling in this morning.

I did not go down Westminster today, anyone see if the graffiti is still there on the cheesy physical therapy place?. Their choice of window treatments and sign boggle me. A brand new building, condos selling for 300k on top, and the retailer below chooses dorm room decor. I want to go in there and tell them they will need physical therapy if they dont change it. But I am not a violent person :D

Since these are Condo's, I wonder if the Condo association has any pull on that? Its going make an otherwise very attractive building look pretty lousy. I also noticed that there appears to be a sign on the door directing customers to the back entrance. I hope this is temporary, as it certainly doesnt make for a good impression from the street. I am pretty displeased with this as a tenant. I was so hoping for something that would liven up the neighborhood. Also - Did anyone notice the test swatches of paint on the side of the building? They appear to be Dunkin Donuts colors. Not a good sign.

:w00t:

Since these are Condo's, I wonder if the Condo association has any pull on that? Its going make an otherwise very attractive building look pretty lousy. I also noticed that there appears to be a sign on the door directing customers to the back entrance. I hope this is temporary, as it certainly doesnt make for a good impression from the street. I am pretty displeased with this as a tenant. I was so hoping for something that would liven up the neighborhood. Also - Did anyone notice the test swatches of paint on the side of the building? They appear to be Dunkin Donuts colors. Not a good sign.

If I see one more DD in Providence and have to listen to 1 more ignorant Rhode Islander say lodge cawfee extra extra,

I'm gonna lose my mind.....Can we at least get a different chain? Springfield has Friendly's. Florida has Waffle House. Come on!

Depends on how explicit the condo documents are. Most cover outside signage, but inside signage requires that extra level of detail.

If a DD was goign there, i would expect to have heard something from the WBNA. Also, this was built by the Armory Revival Company and they are usually pretty good about this kind of thing. I am surprised that this was allowed. A professional office can be a fine tenant, but if you are going to have one that does not really give enliven the community, at least make your space inviting.

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...1.133aeada.html

Personally I like this project. As discussed before, it is a no man's land area and this seems like good reuse.

The exterior materials concern is definitely an issue, but I would rather see something there than what is there now. I think the WBNA is wrong on this one.

I have a question, and I'm not sure where I should post it, here or in the moving to PVD thread.......

Anyway, I was born & raised in Providence, moved away for a while and have been back for the past 2 years, renting on Wickenden & Brook. I really want to buy a place, and have been searching all of the listings mainly for condos (dont want to undertake a multi-family quite yet, and a condo is the only other affordable option). Living in a walkable neighborhood (being able to walk to most services) is really important to me. The East side is a bit expensive unless you want a very small condo or want to try the more sketchy parts of the neighborhood (Camp, Cyprus etc), and the downtown condos that I would be able to afford havent been built yet. The Armory has a ton of great buildings, many of which have been fixed up, and there are a lot of places on the market there - the only problem is that you cant walk to anything except for the Hudson St. Market. I really like the Federal Hill/Broadway neighborhoods though, lots of nice houses and convenient location.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the subject, or maybe I should just look back through the pages. For the people who live in the Armory area - are you happy there, are there any big downsides? Same for Federal Hill & Broadway..

It looks like a lot of great condos will be developed in the next 5 years or so, and not just the high end "luxury" type. Unfortunately I'm in the market for a place now though. Thanks to anyone who has any words of wisdom......

For the people who live in the Armory area - are you happy there, are there any big downsides?

We've been in the Armory for about 5 years now, and its been great. Great neighbors, great houses, great neighborhood. We have never had any major issues with crime or anything like that and its a helluva lot quieter than when we lived on the East Side or near PC. There's actually a small house for sale right now on our street much more in the condo price range than the house price range. I don't know much about it, but the seller seems to want to move it and it's a really slow season for real estate...

http://riliving.com/PropSearch/sfformdetai...sp?MLSid=556225

Liam

There's actually a small house for sale right now on our street much more in the condo price range than the house price range. I don't know much about it, but the seller seems to want to move it and it's a really slow season for real estate...

http://riliving.com/PropSearch/sfformdetai...sp?MLSid=556225

Liam

Wow, that's definitely in the price range, and it would be nice to own a SF. Might have to take a drive-by today. Thanks for the help.

Wow, that's definitely in the price range, and it would be nice to own a SF. Might have to take a drive-by today. Thanks for the help.

It's small and I think the yard might be entirely parking, but its pretty cute and on a nice street. There is another single family 2 houses up from it that I love (Its newer construction, but looks old), of course it is also $100k more. doh.

Liam

Just took a little drive over to the area. That's a really nice street, a lot of great looking houses all around there. It's somewhat strange though, the whole Armory district is great, but it's surrounded by some shaky areas on Cranston & Westminster. But I took our greyhound over to the park, and he gave his approval of the place. I would definitely consider living around there.

Just took a little drive over to the area. That's a really nice street, a lot of great looking houses all around there. It's somewhat strange though, the whole Armory district is great, but it's surrounded by some shaky areas on Cranston & Westminster. But I took our greyhound over to the park, and he gave his approval of the place. I would definitely consider living around there.

Yeah, it is odd how different the streets can be. We live right at the end of Harrison St and its just lovely. Just a few hundred feet away on Cranston St however, its drug deals and hookers. The weird thing is that we dont see much bleed over. For the most part they keep to their side of the tracks and we keep to ours. We have a lot of foot traffic of folks walking to the bus stop on Harrison, but most all of them are very friendly and I chit chat with them quite a bit.

Liam

My boyfriend and I went to the WBNA Yardsale over the summer. We walked from Fed Hill via Broadway and as we were walking around the area, my boyfriend was going on and on about how nice the neighbourhood was and that we should move there. We walked back via Westminster and his outlook on the ngihbourhood soured considerably. No way he wanted to walk to work Downcity through the area that sits between it and the Armory.

That said, I'm all over trying to live in the West Fountian development or the Metro Lofts at Dean and Washington if they come to fruition.

Archived