Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice shot! There's just something alluring about this view when one is up on the Church Street Bridge taking photos of "Mac Bee" Station, isn't there?

Thanks RT!

I do think that walking over the Church Street Bridge gives you such a different feel for downtown vs driving. This is not really photo of the day related, but since this kind of goes along with the photo.....when I lived in Birmingham, they had several bridges connecting downtown proper to Southside/UAB and would frequently close one off for an evening and open it only to pedestrians for a "bridge party". I would think this could be a fun event for Greenville. The view from this bridge is fantastic! Think of thousands of people on this bridge for a party on a cool Friday evening. Just a thought. Not sure what event this could really tie into. Just rambling because it's a slow day at work. :)

Thanks RT!

I do think that walking over the Church Street Bridge gives you such a different feel for downtown vs driving. This is not really photo of the day related, but since this kind of goes along with the photo.....when I lived in Birmingham, they had several bridges connecting downtown proper to Southside/UAB and would frequently close one off for an evening and open it only to pedestrians for a "bridge party". I would think this could be a fun event for Greenville. The view from this bridge is fantastic! Think of thousands of people on this bridge for a party on a cool Friday evening. Just a thought. Not sure what event this could really tie into. Just rambling because it's a slow day at work. :)

That sounds like a great idea!!! I say talk to the city or Main Street events about it. I could see it really being a big hit.

when I lived in Birmingham, they had several bridges connecting downtown proper to Southside/UAB and would frequently close one off for an evening and open it only to pedestrians for a "bridge party". I would think this could be a fun event for Greenville. The view from this bridge is fantastic! Think of thousands of people on this bridge for a party on a cool Friday evening. Just a thought. Not sure what event this could really tie into. Just rambling because it's a slow day at work. :)

The city used to do something similar during Riverplace back in the day. A live music stage was set up on the former Camperdown Bridge.

I really don't care whether a bridge festival ever happens in Greenville or not, personally. I love my Main Street festivals so much that I'd hate to see another one detract from those. Plus, a huge factor would be the negative effects on traffic such a bridge closure would bring to downtown. Yes there are other routes to use in bypassing the bridge, but they are not built to handle so much thru-traffic at one time or in a hurry. I love having the festivals centered on and directly connected to Main Street, since that is the main tourist attraction and absolutely perfect for such festivals. Other festivals around town, such as the Pettigru Sidewalk Art Festival, and the Greek Festival work because they don't challenge the infrustructure of downtown in the way we're talking about. :unsure:

I meant to mention the use of Main Street Bridge as well. IMO, that is the first place I would consider for a bridge festival. Perhaps we could add one just for that bridge alone. Or another idea would be a festival honoring the Liberty Bridge? Nah, that would probably detract from the bridge's natural attraction.

Good points Skyliner about staying centered on Main Street. :thumbsup: I probably look at it through those rose lenses. When I'm on the bridge, it showcases downtown that much more and makes me want to be on Main even more. Just for a night....downtown all alive with lights....maybe an event to showcase downtown? The views from Church Street Bridge, when on foot, are exceptional.

WOW! WOW! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!! I now have a new all time favorite from the Photo of the Day thread. Absolutely incredible RT!!! I love the detail and refelection of the store within the ornament! OUTSTANDING!!...

I don't know what to say. :blush: Thanks, gsupstate! Believe it or not, I was really just going for a nice bokeh with that one. I almost submitted to the "Where in Greenville?" thread, but figured it'd be too obvious. :lol:

What's really interesting to me about that image is that the reflection on the ornament isn't a reflection at all, but a refraction of what's in the background (the star lights along the partition).

Great photo, JCT! Thanks for sharing it with us. :shades: It's great to see someone's able to get out of bed early enough to take awesome morning photos. I never can seem to get up early enough.

Thanks RT. I didn't get up until after 6 though. I was in the park by 6:30 and had time to get in a few long exposure shots before the sun came up. I just got a new camera, so I am playing around and learning how to use it. I'll post the rest of my shots to the Greenville group on flickr when I get home. Here is one more for now.

post-1236-1167326826_thumb.jpg

Spartan, thanks for the welcome back.