Greenville Photo of the Day

NYTransplant

I hope every one had a great thanksgiving.

I am going to upgrade from my little point and shoot Canon to a Digital SLR,

I was hoping you guys could help me find the best bang for the bucks.

The two cameras that I have been looking at are,

Canon RebleXTi 10.1MP with Ef-S 18-55mm lens and

Sony DSLR-A100K 10.2MP with DT 18-70 lens.

If you guys have any suggestions or advise it wold be a great help.

P.S. The photos that are posted here are incredible, keep up the good work!

I have the Canon, but for me it came down to cost between it and the Nikon. I did not look at the Sony, although I have heard good things about it. I don't know if the Xti is a huge upgrade over the Xt though. Yeah, you get more MP, but the sensor is the same size.

Btw, I got the camera w/ lens kit for less than the body itself retails for, so it was a pretty easy decision to go that way for me. Otherwise, I would have given more consideration to the highly rated Nikon.

The lens is ok. I will definately upgrade it at some point. First thing I bought was a 50mm 1.8 though, because at $80, it is a great deal. I use it all the time when doing shots of my 3 month old son. If you were to ask me, that should have been the kit lens.

I have the predecessor to the Canon EOS 400D (Rebel XTi). It's pretty awesome although it doesn't have the self-cleaning sensor. That new feature in the XTi alone is worth it. Beware of the kit 18-55mm lens, though. If you remove one from the camera in a showroom somewhere (Best Buy/Circuit City), you'll notice that the mount is PLASTIC. If you can afford it, I'd very much recommend shelling out the extra $$ for a better starter lens. THIS one, for example. Or, even better (and more expensive): THIS one.

As far as the most bang for the buck, you get a couple of pretty awesome lenses with the Olympus E-500. That is one very nice set, but I opted for the Canon when I was shopping for mein because there are far many more lenses out there for it. :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

I have the predecessor to the Canon EOS 400D (Rebel XTi). It's pretty awesome although it doesn't have the self-cleaning sensor. That new feature in the XTi alone is worth it. Beware of the kit 18-55mm lens, though. If you remove one from the camera in a showroom somewhere (Best Buy/Circuit City), you'll notice that the mount is PLASTIC. If you can afford it, I'd very much recommend shelling out the extra $$ for a better starter lens. THIS one, for example. Or, even better (and more expensive): THIS one.

As far as the most bang for the buck, you get a couple of pretty awesome lenses with the Olympus E-500. That is one very nice set, but I opted for the Canon when I was shopping for mein because there are far many more lenses out there for it. :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

O.K. This is what i ended up ordering

Canon Rebel XTI Silver 10.1 M.P. [body Only] $699.99

Kingston 1GB Compact Flash card $21.99

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens $1,049.99

TiFFEN 77TPK1 3 Filter Kit $112.99

Canon EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens $319.99+$20. Mail in rebate

SEDEC Hiker Series Backpack $74.99

Combo Discounts $-25.00

$-50.00

$-21.99

Subtotal $2,182.95

Shipping $19.84

Total $2,202.79

I hope I did good, this was about all I could spend right now but,I am going to get a good

tripod.

Anyway,Santa[uPS] will have my new toy here the first part of the week and I'll let you know

how it goes.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!

Combo Discounts $-25.00

$-50.00

$-21.99

Subtotal $2,182.95

Shipping $19.84

Total $2,202.79

I hope I did good, this was about all I could spend right now but,I am going to get a good

tripod.

Anyway,Santa[uPS] will have my new toy here the first part of the week and I'll let you know

how it goes.

If you decide that the 1 gb card is not enough, go to shop.kingston.com/savebig and pick up the 4 gb elite for under $70.

Combo Discounts $-25.00

$-50.00

$-21.99

Subtotal $2,182.95

Shipping $19.84

Total $2,202.79

tripod.

how it goes.

I now have lens envy. :lol: That's a nice setup. :thumbsup:

If you decide that the 1 gb card is not enough, go to shop.kingston.com/savebig and pick up the 4 gb elite for under $70.

You can also pick up a Sandisk ultra II 2GB Compact Flash for $40 at Staples (regularly over $100) until Saturday. I intend to get another one myself, if I can swing it.

Thanks Chickenwing and RT for the info on the C.F. Cards.

My old Canon P&S camera also uses compact flash, so I already have [1]256MB [2]512MB

and[2]2GB cards. This is another reason I got the Canon.

The 1G.B card I got with the camera ended up being FREE after a $21.99 combo discount

so i didn't turn it down.

B.T.W. I got the camera and all at Newegg.com. Maybe not the best price on the net.but

I have bought a lot of parts and hardware [2-5 grand a month]in the last 3 years from

them and never had a problem.

Thanks Guys

UPS says it will be here tomorrow. YES!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

These are some great photos, guys! I suppose I'm going to have to go out and take some photos this weekend. The well is dry on my end. I have nothing to offer.

MITP: Have you gotten your new gear yet? I bet you're having loads of fun reading up on it all, possibly tainted with a bit of fear at the same time. :lol: