Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 3 weeks later...

From someone who knows a developer that works downtown somewhere

Also, i do not know where the HQ is now but i assume somewhere in Columbia not at there current location.

The current HQ is currently in the Palmetto Building that is owned by Rick Patel. This is on the corner of Main and Washington. They have been "ushered" out by the new landlord so they can hurry up with the renovation that will become the new hotel. I know that the AC "mysteriously" quit working this summer. It's been years since the Palmetto Building hasn't had AC.

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like a real nice event for Main St

Accessibility-Columbia: Marking History on Main is Coming this Spring

April 6- May 7

Accessibility-Columbia: Marking History on Main is a public art exhibition, which will feature installation and site-specific art that relates directly to the history of Main Street. The exhibition is scheduled to be installed this year from April 6

I learned at a meeting this week that Phase II of the Main Street streetscaping won't begin until early 2007. The city manager was quoted as saying that the city is going to use the time until then to devise a plan for optimal accessibility to affected businesses during construction, since there has been so much criticism. Also, they didn't want to get into any more street construction right now while still workign on Five Points and Lady Street. It is my humble opinion that, while the latter two are very important, priorities went a little askew when they did not get Main Street done first. But then, some of the funding has been federal, and when the feds say here's some money they don't mean when you get ready, they mean now or never.

Thanks Krazee. It is another Waccamatt project when I win Powerball on Saturday. Isn't it like 365 million? Do you know how many skyscrapers we could build with that?

I already have at least one spot picked out, too--the surface lot across from BOA Plaza. Something on Sumter and Marion could work as well.

I hope this post best fits in this thread. If not, a moderator can move it.

OK, a scenario: the Columbia Museum of Art will have a new, ultra-modern facility built somewhere else downtown to make way for an awesome new tower (new tallest) with some kickin' street level retail on the site where it now sits. Where should the museum relocate?

A) Somewhere else on Main (eg, the surface lot across from BOA Plaza)

B) The Vista

C) Olympia

D) Other (explain)

Edited by krazeeboi

• 3 weeks later...

Historic Columbia is putting on what looks like a nice event

Urban Access: Main Street Living

This daylong program will focus on history and preservation on Columbia's historic Main Street. Attendees will visit the residential units in buildings that have been adaptively reused as well as some new construction. Visitors will also have the opportunity to take hard hat tours of three projects that are in-process.

The sites on this tour include:

The Barringer Building

Kress

Capitol Places

Canal Dime Savings Bank

Silver's

McCrory's

Berry's & Tapp's Department Store.

Urban Access Tours are self-guided, however we will be hosting guided Main Street tours at the top of every hour from 11am to 4pm.

$10 for HCF members. $15 for non-members.

Join Us For The Opening Reception

On Friday, April 28, 2006 on the Meridian Rooftop Terrace, we will host a reception to celebrate the beginning of the tour. Refreshments will be served and guests will be present to talk about the tour and this unique opportunity to see growth and preservation at its best.

Tickets are $30 for Foundation membesand $40 for non-members.

Edited by colajnp