Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

It would be cool to have a high rise residential, but this kind of does fit within the landscape on that block of Main St. Other Main St News:

Columbia Museum of Art Announces Major Commission for Boyd Plaza

The Columbia Museum of Art has commissioned a major fountain sculpture for a prominent spot on Boyd Plaza in downtown Columbia. Nationally known sculptor, Rodney Carroll will be creating a monumental sculpture with an interactive water feature for the corner of Main and Hampton Streets on Boyd Plaza in front of the museum. The sculpture design incorporates a play and interaction between lyrical, organic shapes in a variety of metals and alloys that add color and motion to the abstract sculpture that mimics the play and activity of its many water elements. Colliers Keenan, a statewide commercial real estate firm headquartered in Columbia, has pledged a leadership gift for the development of this project. Completion of the project is scheduled for fall of 2006 in time for the Colliers Keenan 100th anniversary gala celebration. The museum has launched a capital campaign to raise additional funds to cover the project budget. Fundraising efforts will begin immediately and continue throughout the summer and fall. There will be a recognition wall for all major gifts.

Rio Nightlife

Just for reference, here are some examples of Carroll's work:

Bethesda, MD

l_1.jpg

Newport News, VA

l_1.jpg

Cary, NC

l_1.jpg

Ormond Beach, FL

l_1.jpg

I'm sure what he does for Columbia won't look much different than these. I like his stuff.

The State has a rendering of it on the front page of Metro today.

Wow, I guess all of that was for naught, huh? LOL At least we can do some comparisons. I have attached a photo of the rendering below.

It looks like it won't be constructed entirely of bronze and stainless steel like some of Carroll's other works, as it has a bit of color to it. I would imagine it would be along the scale of the Newport News sculpture.

post-1529-1145738236_thumb.jpg

Edited by krazeeboi

It looks interesting and it will be nice to have a water feature at that corner. IMO we can't have too many fountains in Columbia. This will be the 2nd fountain in Boyd Plaza. There is a large granite fountain in the northwest corner of the plaza not far from the amphitheater.

I like this one the best:

l_1.jpg

Edited by waccamatt

• 2 weeks later...

Columbia could really use some center city signage, also called wayfinder signs, such as these:

Bloomington, IN

photo_bloomington_sign.jpg

Yonkers, NY

wayfare-nmain-nepp.jpg

Greensboro

Wayfinding-734451.jpg

Indianapolis

indianapolis1.jpg

Atlanta

wayfinding%20sign2.jpg

I know Greenville has signs of this type as well.

I remember an article in the State 2 or 3 years ago that talked about City Council approving signage very similar to what you've shown. I even think the article showed a rendering of the proposed signs. I wonder what happened?

On signage... You know... I think this is sorely needed, but I wonder if they're actually being smart by holding off for another couple of years. There is SO much change going on downtown -- whole neighborhoods are being carved out. They'd have to change the signs every few months! I think "the new Columbia" will be more clearly defined in another year or two, so maybe it's best to wait to invest in some sweet new signage until then.

That's a good point; however, I suspect that perhaps the city is waiting until Main Street gets completely streetscaped. Center city signage usually points to attractions and important civic buildings, and in that regard, there's nothing new being constructed in Columbia presently. If anything, signage like this could now be used in the Vista, pointing the way to the Colonial Center, the convention center, Finlay Park, Memorial Park, the State Museum, EdVenture, etc.

Edited by krazeeboi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the city recently hire a company to look at the sinage in Columbia and ways to improve it? I remember agreeing that if you aren't familiar with the area, Columbia can be an intimidating city to navigate.

Wayfinding signs will help the city tremendously.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the city recently hire a company to look at the sinage in Columbia and ways to improve it? I remember agreeing that if you aren't familiar with the area, Columbia can be an intimidating city to navigate.

Wayfinding signs will help the city tremendously.

Spartan, is that the technical term? :P

I drove down Main St. yesterday evening and was impressed by how nice some of those new-ish office buildings look, along with how attractive some of the older buildings were (what gems!) and how large a lot of the office buildings are. Plus with USC, state government and Columbia's pretty large office space downtown, and a hospital, there is a large employment and other population base downtown, which I'd guess explains why downtown kept large department stores much longer than smaller downtowns like Greenville did.

I'd also think that the sizeable activity base downtown would suggest that stores will come back like they did in Greenville and that downtown Columbia should have a very bright future ahead! Downtown Greenville started off on 1st base 25 years ago, with no stores, some offices and not much else downtown, and then ended up all the way around on home plate due to public/private investment kicking off retail, residential, entertainment and office growth downtown; downtown Columbia is at least on 3rd base now- the only thing lacking is Main St. retail.

Question: even in the '80s, it looks as if only about 3 blocks of Main Street consisted of storefronts, and there must not have been that much there, other than Belk's, Macy's and a few other big stores- is that correct? Is that one of the main reasons downtown died- it didn't have that many small stores there and not nearly as many as a mall would have?

Edited by mallguy

Mallguy, i has been a gradual decline for retail on Main Street. Much of the old retail space has been taken over by office buildings and retail has settled in 5 Points and the Vista. 5 Points has as many stores as a large mall, especially if you include the nearby Devine Street corridor.

I just drove past the new condos they're building beside the Kress Building. The exterior is brick. I had no idea. Judging by the artist's rendering I would have thought it was going to be stucco. It is a tannish light red tinted brick. Quite nice.

Another discovery! I just rode back up Main Street and saw a blue architectural review board sign in the doorway of the old Palmetto Building. It will be on the June agenda for approval of "exterior changes." Work has been ongoing in the interior. Looks like we're really getting somewhere now.