Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

i went to a similar event about 2 or 3 years ago and really enjoyed it. Not there is even more residential to see.

Historic Columbia is putting on what looks like a nice event

Urban Access: Main Street Living

This daylong program will focus on history and preservation on Columbia's historic Main Street. Attendees will visit the residential units in buildings that have been adaptively reused as well as some new construction. Visitors will also have the opportunity to take hard hat tours of three projects that are in-process.

The sites on this tour include:

The Barringer Building

Kress

Capitol Places

Canal Dime Savings Bank

Silver's

McCrory's

Berry's & Tapp's Department Store.

Urban Access Tours are self-guided, however we will be hosting guided Main Street tours at the top of every hour from 11am to 4pm.

$10 for HCF members. $15 for non-members.

Join Us For The Opening Reception

On Friday, April 28, 2006 on the Meridian Rooftop Terrace, we will host a reception to celebrate the beginning of the tour. Refreshments will be served and guests will be present to talk about the tour and this unique opportunity to see growth and preservation at its best.

Tickets are $30 for Foundation membesand $40 for non-members.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night at 8:30 I was riding down Main Street and the door to the basement of the old Palmetto Building (the Sheraton in the making) was open and the lights were on down there. The lights were also on on the ground floor and one of the windows a few floors up had plyboard in it. They are working there along and along.

Just noticed on LoopNet.... the Lourie's building is for sale. Has anyone heard about them going out of biz?

33,000 square feet

$2,695,000

That's sure to be snatched up soon.

The director of City City Partnership said in a meeting that they were going to be putting the building up for sale but that Lourie's is committed to staying downtown, either with a lease in that same building or somewhere else downtown along Main.

The director of City City Partnership said in a meeting that they were going to be putting the building up for sale but that Lourie's is committed to staying downtown, either with a lease in that same building or somewhere else downtown along Main.

I'm glad they plan to stay downtown, however, they could really use some new, :blush: more youthful buyers, in addition to those that they currently have.

Mashburn Construction Company signs now adorn the former McCrory Dollar Store building at Taylor and Main. They have a sign on the front and side of the building. They just went up within the past few days. I was afraid that project was stagnating. Once Mashburn signs go up that's it. They're on the ball. This morning I saw construction workers getting out of their vehicles along Taylor next to the building.

Mashburn Construction Company signs now adorn the former McCrory Dollar Store building at Taylor and Main. They have a sign on the front and side of the building. They just went up within the past few days. I was afraid that project was stagnating. Once Mashburn signs go up that's it. They're on the ball. This morning I saw construction workers getting out of their vehicles along Taylor next to the building.

What are they doing to it? Renovation, I hope . . . if so, what's going in there?

What are they doing to it? Renovation, I hope . . . if so, what's going in there?

Condos on the upper two floors, an architect's office or something similar on the ground floor, and I was told by the architect that Sherlocke Holmes is planning to locate in the basement. By the way, a new Chinese restaurant is getting ready to open across Taylor Street from there, between the barber shop and the entrance to Capitol Places whatever number it is, (ground floor of Berry's building).

• 2 weeks later...

Heard today... The Free Times is moving into the City Center Partnership offices next door to Jammin' Java. I have no idea where CCP is moving.

I talked to Matt at the BID last week. City Center Partnership is staying where they are. Free Times is moving right next door to them on the left. If is an neat looking older building. Would have liked to see retail there but I guess it will be pretty cool to have street presence for the Free Times

I talked to Matt at the BID last week. City Center Partnership is staying where they are. Free Times is moving right next door to them on the left. If is an neat looking older building. Would have liked to see retail there but I guess it will be pretty cool to have street presence for the Free Times

Ah, that explains it. I wondered if that was the case. Well, I guess it's time for me to take out that small business loan and do something down there! :) I wonder who owns that old Sports Action building and how much they would want for it! hehe.

I also heard that Daniel Rickenmann is going to open an upscale lounge in the right side of the building next to Gotta Dance, the half that was recently renovated. The source of the info ought to know.

I also heard that Daniel Rickenmann is going to open an upscale lounge in the right side of the building next to Gotta Dance, the half that was recently renovated. The source of the info ought to know.

I'm working on recruiting someone to run against him in '08. I can't stand that guy.

The latest construction on 1520 Main:

1520Main4181.jpg

Glad to see it has finally topped out (even if it's only 4 stories).

It would be cool to have a high rise residential, but this kind of does fit within the landscape on that block of Main St. Other Main St News:

Columbia Museum of Art Announces Major Commission for Boyd Plaza

The Columbia Museum of Art has commissioned a major fountain sculpture for a prominent spot on Boyd Plaza in downtown Columbia. Nationally known sculptor, Rodney Carroll will be creating a monumental sculpture with an interactive water feature for the corner of Main and Hampton Streets on Boyd Plaza in front of the museum. The sculpture design incorporates a play and interaction between lyrical, organic shapes in a variety of metals and alloys that add color and motion to the abstract sculpture that mimics the play and activity of its many water elements. Colliers Keenan, a statewide commercial real estate firm headquartered in Columbia, has pledged a leadership gift for the development of this project. Completion of the project is scheduled for fall of 2006 in time for the Colliers Keenan 100th anniversary gala celebration. The museum has launched a capital campaign to raise additional funds to cover the project budget. Fundraising efforts will begin immediately and continue throughout the summer and fall. There will be a recognition wall for all major gifts.

Rio Nightlife’s Custom Car and Bike Jamboree

Saturday, April 29 from noon until 7 pm

Located at Main Street between Laurel and Blanding Streets, Rio Nightlife will hold a Custom Car and Bike Jamboree. Winner of custom car and motorcycle contest will receive $500 each. Hot 103.9 will host a DJ Spin-off and the winner will receive $500. All DJ’s must send in audio files to 103.9 to qualify to enter into the contest. A NFL meet and greet with John Abraham from the Atlanta Falcons defensive end, Laveranues Coles of the NY Jets wide receiver and Troy Williamson from the Minnesota Vikings wide receiver will also be a highlight. Food will be provided by Mac’s on Main and beer provided by Budweiser with balloons for kids.

Join City Center Partnership for its Spring 2006, Moonlight Movies on Main

City Center Partnership’s Moonlight Movies on Main will premier Friday, April 28 and Friday, May 5. Outdoor movie series will be held at the corner of Hampton and Main downtown. The movies will be shown on a giant 15’ x 20’ screen, which will be hung from the top of the Columbia Museum of Art’s entrance. Bring your chair or blanket. Admission is free.

Friday, April 28

The April movie will be Driving Miss Daisy and will start at 8:45 pm. Come early to enjoy seeing vintage cars.

Friday, May 5

The May movie will be Breakfast at Tiffany’s and will also start at 8:45 pm. At 8:00 pm enjoy entertainment featuring fashions, dance and the musical score of Henry Mancini. Seven Doors Salon will be apart of brining Breakfast at Tiffany’s to life on Main Street.

Edited by mainstreeter