Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

The rendering for 1520 Main indeed made the exterior look like stucco. I think I'm familiar with the type of brick you're referring too, and I think it will make a nice statement on Main.

Now what exactly will be done to the exterior of the Palmetto Building? I know that there won't be any drastic changes; CHF wouldn't let that happen in a million years.

The rendering for 1520 Main indeed made the exterior look like stucco. I think I'm familiar with the type of brick you're referring too, and I think it will make a nice statement on Main.

Now what exactly will be done to the exterior of the Palmetto Building? I know that there won't be any drastic changes; CHF wouldn't let that happen in a million years.

I'm sure not much will be done. But any little thing they want to do has to go before the review board, even something as minimal as signage.

I just drove past the new condos they're building beside the Kress Building. The exterior is brick. I had no idea. Judging by the artist's rendering I would have thought it was going to be stucco. It is a tannish light red tinted brick. Quite nice.

I just drove past them again. They are accenting the building with blonde brick. The window frames are hunter green, arched on the top floor. I can tell that the building is going to be striking. It will be elegantly and classically charming. It will certainly do it's part to propel the domino effect of facade restorations all the way up Richardson (Main) Street.

Anybody know what's happening with Cat and Cleaver? I read on Chowhounds.com that they have closed and another restaurant is to take their space.

If it's true I'm mighty sorry to hear it. Hope I'm misinformed!

I have some friends that know the owners of the dog and dagger....er, the Cat and Cleaver. Waccamatt Holmes shall put on the tweed cap and investigate.

Anybody know what's happening with Cat and Cleaver? I read on Chowhounds.com that they have closed and another restaurant is to take their space.

If it's true I'm mighty sorry to hear it. Hope I'm misinformed!

Yes, its true. There has been an eviction notice on the front door for a month or two and they are closed. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We discussed wayfinding signage in downtown earlier. Here's what I came across from the minutes of the last city council meeting:

Council is asked to approve a Contract for the Construction, Installation and Maintenance of a New City Signage Plan, as requested by Construction Management. Award to Signage Industries, the low bidder, in total amount of $286,426.00. This firm is located in Archdale, NC. The CIP budgeted amount for this project is $350,000.

Glad to see the city is moving forward with this; it's long overdue.

• 1 month later...

New pics on Mashurns website of 1520 Main

http://www.mashburnconstruction.com/1520_M...August_2006.htm

looks like it will be completed soon

Awesome. I was down there on Wednesday and they had just opened the sidewalk back up. There were so many people out -- granted it was during the day -- but there was a definite buzz in the air about the new building.

New pics on Mashurns website of 1520 Main

http://www.mashburnconstruction.com/1520_M...August_2006.htm

looks like it will be completed soon

The outside of the building is handsome, a welcome addition to Main Street. :thumbsup:

However, the interior spaces are exceedingly cheesy. :sick: The design and building materials of brand new urban lofts should be modern, sophisticated, chic. What happened--did they run out of money in the end? I would think cutting corners would turn off their target market of potential buyers big time.

I was a bit underwhelmed by what I saw in the inside as well. But then again, I haven't seen the inside of many condos for the sake of comparison. I guess it will be up to the residents to create a memorable space. Being that other Capitol Places projects have done well, I think that will continue with their future projects.

I hear work is coming along nicely inside 1556 Main as well.

I'm sorry, but that rendering and website screams a late '60's/early '70's aesthetic with its fanciful scrollwork, fake balconies, etc. All they lack is hanging baskets of plastic flowers, and they'd have a complete "pseudo-New Orleans/Parisienne" look! Ugh . . :sick:

Where are the DESIGNERS of these things? Answer: there are none--they are designed inhouse by developers, who have NO business doing such things, IMO. This building deserves an architect experienced in rehabilitating historic properties--one that doesn't just "tart" up a building and call it done.

I was a bit underwhelmed by what I saw in the inside as well. But then again, I haven't seen the inside of many condos for the sake of comparison. I guess it will be up to the residents to create a memorable space. Being that other Capitol Places projects have done well, I think that will continue with their future projects.

Hey, Krazee--that explains it. Capitol Places deserves credit for saving and refurbishing facades and exteriors all over downtown, and kudos to them for just that. :thumbsup: However, they continue to install cheesy, dreadful interiors--just look at the pics on the Tapp's rehab project. They REALLY should put more effort into these interiors. To me, they are as bland and cheap as any student housing project built in the last 20 years. The Tapp's building especially deserved better when retrofitted into lofts. At least its foyer has been saved, and it alone is befitting of the building's fabulous, original 1940s Art Moderne exterior.

But, hey, any rehab is better than demolition, so kudos again to the efforts of Capitol Places! :yahoo:

I'm sorry, but that rendering and website screams a late '60's/early '70's aesthetic with its fanciful scrollwork, fake balconies, etc. All they lack is hanging baskets of plastic flowers, and they'd have a complete "pseudo-New Orleans/Parisienne" look! Ugh . . :sick:

Where are the DESIGNERS of these things? Answer: there are none--they are designed inhouse by developers, who have NO business doing such things, IMO. This building deserves an architect experienced in rehabilitating historic properties--one that doesn't just "tart" up a building and call it done.

The rendering does leave much to be desired, but being that it's not in color and isn't very detailed, I think I'll reserve judgment until the exterior starts taking shape. The architect that does all of the Capitol Place projects does a pretty good job. He seems to be more interested in making sure that the exterior tastefully and aesthetically blends in with its surroundings instead of sticking out as an individual piece, which is a good thing.

Hey, Krazee--that explains it. Capitol Places deserves credit for saving and refurbishing facades and exteriors all over downtown, and kudos to them for just that. :thumbsup: However, they continue to install cheesy, dreadful interiors--just look at the pics on the Tapp's rehab project. They REALLY should put more effort into these interiors. To me, they are as bland and cheap as any student housing project built in the last 20 years. The Tapp's building especially deserved better when retrofitted into lofts. At least its foyer has been saved, and it alone is befitting of the building's fabulous, original 1940s Art Moderne exterior.

But, hey, any rehab is better than demolition, so kudos again to the efforts of Capitol Places! :yahoo:

Note that Capitol Places DID NOT renovate the Tapps building. They took over the management this year. They have completed Kress, Berrys, and Silvers. Now 1520 and Barringer will be completed soon. 1520 is more tradtional than I like, but the target market is empty nesters and Columbia is still pretty traditional. I have also been in Barringer and they used some neat "soft loft" designs with half walls, high ceilings. I think they will turn out nicely.

Gee maybe my taste is cheezy. I went on the urban access tour and viewed the Capitol Places Barringer, Kress, Silvers, and Berry's. I thought all were elegantly done and didn't feel they cut corners. Entrances where well done and kept the historical significance of the building. As far as 1520 I will hold judgement until units are completed and I actually go in one. Sometimes pictures don't tell the story. I did see the front units and they look pretty cool with lofts and spiral staircases. I know the other condo project they did (Silvers) was very well done with hardwood floors, granite, and what you expect to see in higher end condos. The unit in there was well decorated and looked right out of a designer magazine.

Some bad news for Main Street. It should be in the paper tomorrow that Scana is officially leaving downtown for a campus in West Columbia. I hate it...but it's now a done deal.

I see I'm a little late...there's a post below about this.

Edited by BryCola

• 1 month later...

More investment on Main Street announced. Last week Main St received news of a new restaurant, spa, retail, condos and corporate HQ for a tech company going in the McCrory's Building. Now a new private club coming! This will all help the night time traffic on Main. The club looks like it will be very unique and has some cool amenities. Great news. Here is the link to the story

More investment on Main Street announced. Last week Main St received news of a new restaurant, spa, retail, condos and corporate HQ for a tech company going in the McCrory's Building. Now a new private club coming! This will all help the night time traffic on Main. The club looks like it will be very unique and has some cool amenities. Great news. Here is the link to the story

Daniel Rickenmann? No thanks; he can't even write an email with proper grammar or common business etiquette.